Modern Homes Survey: New Canaan Connecticut

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

scowsa
Modern Guru

Modern Homes Survey: New Canaan Connecticut

Postby scowsa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:03 am

From Thursday's NYT and which sounds like an idea that other communities could copy.

"Modern Homes Survey: New Canaan Connecticut,” one of the most definitive local studies of Modernist houses in the United States, goes online this week. The site devotes a Web page to each of the 91 homes built in New Canaan between 1939 and 1979. “Nobody knew there were so many,” said Christy MacLear, the executive director of the Philip Johnson Glass House, which sponsored the effort along with several Connecticut preservation groups and the state’s Commission on Culture and Tourism.

The project began after the Micheels House in nearby Westport, Conn., by Paul Rudolph, was demolished in January 2007. When a motion was filed to keep the owners from razing it, Ms. MacLear said, “the judge said there were no stated criteria or documentation to back up claims of the house’s significance.”

The new Web site aims to remedy that, with the history and condition of houses. "

Site, with some great photos, is at
scowsa

khummer
Modern Master

great site

Postby khummer » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:55 pm

I wanted so badly to see the Philip J. Glass House, as I live in one 2, that I rode with my friend who was moving from Oregon to New Canaan, CT. It was worth the journey. Saw of a few of these winners when we made it. This puts it into perspective.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”