Fairfax Theater

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Fairfax Theater

Postby nichols » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:43 am

Via Cinematreasures:
(lapl)

"In July 2009, as nearby Farmers Market celebrates its 75th Anniversary, news of proposals were released to possibly demolish the 80 years old Fairfax Theatre, and build a 71-unit condominium building with retail and parking on the site. The proposal made by the buildings owners of 10-years, B & F Associates of Santa Monica, stated that there were plans to retain the original theatre facade in the proposed redevelopment, which will need city council approval.

Regency Theatres, who are the current operators of the Fairfax Cinemas, were unaware of the proposals until they were announced."

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/1163/

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:50 am

"Fairfax theater may face curtain call"

http://www.parklabreanewsbeverlypress.c ... 0issue.pdf

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:31 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:55 pm

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Fairfax Theatre may do a slow dissolve
Preservationists seek to modify plans to turn the Art Deco building into a complex with stores and condos.

By Bob Pool
January 14, 2010

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 1518.story

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:29 am

Did they paint over the ghost sign announcing that the Talkies had arrived?

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:26 am

They may have, Adrienne. I walked around the building a few months ago and didn't see anything like that.

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:39 pm

Wow..that was such a great thing to see. Thanks, Gnomus.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:22 am

Apparently they suffered some water damage from the rain and are closed for a few days.

Hindinwood
Modern Fan

Postby Hindinwood » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:48 pm

They had a really bad leak(s) in the ceiling last winter as well. My mom actually got a cold after we went to see a movie there. I hope there are some plans to address that in the preservation effort, because roofs can be expensive!

-Lauren

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:11 am

I noticed these holes in the ceiling, probably from rain damage, when I was there in October. They kept the lighting low, probably to try to hide the holes and the numerous water stains, but the flash from my camera (between shows) caught it.

The two smaller screens, which were the left and right rear of the original theatre layout, had a dropped ceiling of acoustic tile that was partially, er, dropped. Several tiles were missing, leaving holes where you could see the darkness where the actual theatre ceiling was several feet above in unknown condition, and a group of seats underneath were ruined and taped off. But at least the way they triplexed the theatre looks like it would be very easily undone. Remove the added walls and the low acoustic tile ceiling, put seats back in where the walls were, and you're back to the initial one-screen configuration.

CWillman
Modern Socialite

Postby CWillman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Hindinwood wrote:They had a really bad leak(s) in the ceiling last winter as well. My mom actually got a cold after we went to see a movie there. I hope there are some plans to address that in the preservation effort, because roofs can be expensive!

-Lauren

Oh, it sounds like they have some plans to address that in the "preservation" effort, all right. (As in annihilation.)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:45 pm

Regency is no longer operating the Fairfax and it's Historic-Cultural Monument nomination is coming up soon. Good pics at Curbed.

CURBED

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/01/f ... inside.php

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:12 pm

davidk6 wrote:Re: Fairfax Theater: from curbedla A developer's plan to turn the Fairfax Theater into 71 condos took a step forward today after the Cultural Heritage Commission voted not to recommend the building for historical designation, a decision that makes it easier for developer Alex Gorby to convert the building. The 1929 theater, the Commission decided, wasn't nomination-worthy due to numerous factors, including the fact that its original features hasn't been retained. "We're pleased," said Ira Handelman, who represents Gorby. Some preservationists had argued the building, which is located at Fairfax Avenue and Beverly Boulevard, hadn't been properly maintained by Gorby. "[It's] demolition by neglect," noted Hillsman Wright, executive director of the Los Angeles Historic Foundation, one of those who showed up in support of the designation, arguing the building has important Art Deco elements

wideimaging
Modern Fan

Another codos for Theater boondoggle

Postby wideimaging » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:42 am

Seems to be typical: demolition by neglect, then offer to save the façade to develop condos. Posted a similar story in:
LottaLiving.com Forum Index > Roadside Rambling > Hurry! visit Flushing NYC

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”