http://modcom.org/

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:32 pm

At tonight's ModCom meeting we discussed future renovations to our site. Here's a forum to discuss things you think we should offer there and even offer to help...

Thanks.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:56 am

Maybe there should be a list of buildings we're working on.. Maybe a google map?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:13 pm

#1 with a bullet...
fix the members only page - someone fiddled with the code years ago who did not know what they were doing -

NO ONE should be able to see this page unless signed in...
http://modcom.org/madmin/

allow members to be able to view meeting minutes when they miss meetings to keep up to date with what's going on.

the contact database we built got completely corrupted

- these basic things fixed would probably be very helpful to members after they signed in...
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:16 pm

p.s.
fixing the links database at least to support the 'urgent action' section would tie into your hope for a google map.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:30 pm

Futura Girl wrote:NO ONE should be able to see this page unless signed in...

I pointed that out to Chris, but by PM. (shhhh!)

The opinion I expressed was that they should take down all the old pages until they have a new site. The current site reflects very badly on its owners and will only frustrate newcomers with all its bad links, etc.

However, their Facebook page looks fine, and their message board still has it charms. So what I would do is put a single page in its place saying that a new site is coming soon, with a few working links and a reminder of the next meeting.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:22 pm

there are still several pages that are valid.
removing the non functional ones would be sufficient.
and really ultimately - now that the conservancy website has sufficiently matured - modcom's webby should be a part of the master site.

sky

Postby sky » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:29 pm

When?

Factor into your answer that most important decisions probably need to be made by committee.

In the meanwhile, Mrs. Agnes Gray, an 86 year old millionairess with no legal heirs is looking for a worthy organization with which to endow her fortune. But there are so many organizations from which to choose! "Which one? Which one?" she thinks to herself. And then she thinks back to the time in her life when she was happiest. It was the 1940s and she was hopelessly in love with a brilliant young architect, whom she always referred to as her Beau. "I shall give all my money to an organization that preserves the modern architecture like my Beau's," she exclaims to herself.

And then Agnes goes about the process of finding such an organization. "Thank heavens for Windows 95," she thinks. And then boots up the old 8086. With the help of the Googler, Agnes finds the site of the Los Angeles Modern Committee. "Oh what a lovely logo!" she says, and then she clicks on some links. At one point, she uncovers a listing of a Perl program. "What’s this?" she wonders. And then, under "Modern Links," Agnes clicks on one that says "People To See." "Oh, it's my Beau!” she says, and nearly drops dead right there.

But Agnes quickly recovers. She clicks on the link that bears her beau's name. But nothing happens. She clicks again, harder. And again. "Oh goodness me," she says, "I could never leave my fortune to an organization that treats my Beau with such disrespect!"

Or, you can do something like this right now:
http://modcom.bigdogwebpages.com/modcom.php

sky

Re: http://modcom.org/

Postby sky » Wed May 11, 2011 8:19 pm

nichols wrote:At tonight's ModCom meeting we discussed future renovations to our site.

Slow going?

SFG
Modern Socialite

Postby SFG » Thu May 12, 2011 2:48 pm

Sky, we will have a new website up and running by the end of summer. I'm the new project manager for this as of late 2010. A webdex has been submitted to the executive committee for comments and we will be meeting again next week to finalize a few things before we implement the new design. Thanks for checking in on the progress and I hope you like the changes soon to come to ModCom.org!

sky

Postby sky » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:17 pm

It looks great, SFG, shiny and clean!

I don't know when it went live, but it still has that new site smell.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”