CNA Building > Los Angeles Central Civil West Courthouse

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

CNA Building > Los Angeles Central Civil West Courthouse

Postby nichols » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Looks like some work is happening on the old CNA Building aka Central Civil West Courthouse, that 1970 glass skin number by Langdon & Wilson at 6th & Commonwealth. Anybody know the details?

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I work

Postby modfan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:35 pm

In this building.
Upgrades have been going on for quite some time. It all began with a fire in 2007 the origin was an old electrical system. The owner had to put in an upgraded fire protection system. And I think the owner's son is now in charge of the building he's cleaned up the landscaping and made some repairs to the steps, pressure washed the plaza areas and the other granite work. In the past there have been problems with the window panels some have had to be replaced, most of that is fixed now. Asbestos abatement was done a few years back. I think there is a softness in the office market right now and they need to do some refurbishment to get tenants in, there are still a few levels unoccupied. Occupied floors consist mostly of Courts (thus the airport like security), Mental Health, AIDS Programs, Child Support all county. The rumor that's going around is that the owner wants to put a fitness center in the lobby but seems to me it's not a big enough space plus there is security to deal with not to mention parking (expensive) even if parking across the street. It's a typical 70's office building, I don't think it's going to be turned into some beaux arts era building or anything like that. It's a nice place to work.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”