Salton Sea yacht club by Albert Frey

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Salton Sea yacht club by Albert Frey

Postby nichols » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:22 am

Crowds support renovation of North Shore Yacht Club
DENISE GOOLSBY • THE DESERT SUN • SEPTEMBER 22, 2009

Nearly 100 people gathered near the edge of the Salton Sea on Monday to celebrate the groundbreaking for the renovation of the historic North Shore Yacht Club Community Center.

The 50-year-old Albert Frey- designed building, considered an architectural treasure, will undergo a $3.5 million renovation. When completed, it will feature a senior center, museum, visitors center, juice bar and multipurpose rooms...

http://www.mydesert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... /909220322

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:36 am

Great to see the renovations happening! I do love the building.

Hopefully sufficient public funds will be available for continued maintenance; there's practically no way it will become a profitable venture until and unless Salton Sea as a whole gets a little less nasty (which is precisely why it fell into such disrepair to begin with). As much as I love the building, I don't relish the idea of lounging on the rust-colored waterfront, amongst countless other abandoned structures, watching the skeletons of countless dead tilapia wash up on the shore. :cry:
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I think

Postby modfan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:04 am

Some proposals for the Salton Sea will shrink it's size so
the building may not exactly be 'edgewater' in the future.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:15 am

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:32 am

I am a huge fan of this building and I hope that the work that is done is reflective of this very unique and iconic piece of architecture. However, I am curious, does anybody else feel like this budget is thin given the current condition of the structure and site? I am happy to see work being done but for some reason I dont see the needed investment. Who is the restoration architect?...I would assume there might be grant opportunities for a project like this? Does anybody have more detail on the work being done?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:38 am

PALM SPRINGS LIFE

For (Rancho Mirage architect Tim) Holt, the job of drawing up plans has been like channeling Frey: “We felt his touch all the way through the project.” His team (including architect John Anthony Rivera, who worked on the restoration of Frey’s Tramway Gas Station in Palm Springs, now a Palm Springs Visitors Center) had access to Frey’s original working drawings for the yacht club from the architecture and design archives at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Records reveal that Frey was involved with every phase of construction.

http://www.palmspringslife.com/Palm-Spr ... Shipshape/

http://www.holtarchitects.net/

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:49 am

"For (Rancho Mirage architect Tim) Holt, the job of drawing up plans has been like channeling Frey: “We felt his touch all the way through the project.” His team (including architect John Anthony Rivera, who worked on the restoration of Frey’s Tramway Gas Station in Palm Springs, now a Palm Springs Visitors Center) had access to Frey’s original working drawings for the yacht club from the architecture and design archives at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Records reveal that Frey was involved with every phase of construction..."

http://www.palmspringslife.com/Palm-Spr ... Shipshape/

http://www.holtarchitects.net/

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:07 am

Thanks for the info......I cant wait to see this place when it is done and I really hope that this is a restoration project rather than a "renovation" as mentioned. Not all buildings should be restored...but this one definitely should.

It seems like they have a uphill climb but I for one would be more than happy to drive out and pay to see a restored North Shore Yacht Club.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:54 pm

and now it's done!

http://saltonseamuseum.org/

jonu
Location: Franklin Hills (Los Feliz), LA CA and Palm Springs CA

Postby jonu » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:58 am

Perks

Postby Perks » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:25 pm

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:14 pm

So does it still literally stink there or not?? I used to live in Palm Springs, and when the scent of the Salton would occasionally waft in, it was not pleasant....

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:44 am

Stopped by last week and the place looks great. The fence had just come down in time for the grand re-opening. Sad to see the swimming pool go but it's a small price to pay. The sea wasn't smelling at all this time of year. Those portholes frame magnificient views of the mountains and water - just incredibly beautiful.

modernmecca
Modern Socialite

Postby modernmecca » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:53 am

I am thinking a road trip is in order for me, too. Sadly, I won't be able to make it to tomorrow's celebration.

Via PSMODCOM Chair Peter Moruzzi's email:

"NORTH SHORE YACHT CLUB opening is this Saturday, May 1 from 10am - 1pm.  This is an opportunity to celebrate and support a truly remarkable rennovation.  PS ModCom has played a siginificant role in supporting the Museum and has installed the Frey exhibit under the guidance of our Chair of Education, Robert Imber.  As avid Frey fans you might also consider becoming a member of the Salton Sea Museum which is now housed in the building."
www.saltonseamuseum.org
Claudia Andrade-Desbiens
http://www.ModernMecca.com
Home Staging • Model Homes • Interior Branding
Los Angeles • Orange County • Palm Springs
http://twitter.com/ModernMecca
http://facebook.com/ModernMecca

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”