Home Savings buildings

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:32 am

Long Beach Press Telegram identifies 350 Pine as a former Bank of America.

http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_12764839?source=rv

SFG
Modern Socialite

Postby SFG » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:36 pm

1300 N Main St, Santa Ana
Stained glass and/or tilework at front and rear entrances, front airlock and interior; No significant details on either sides of the buidling

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:19 pm

I rode past the Santa Ana location on Main today; I'm going to be back down there tomorrow and was hoping to stop and shoot it.

Then I see your great photos. And they let you shoot inside!

The statues are the same as the ones at the Beverly Hills branch. There's also a griffin over the entrance. And it looked like the building had the HS&L gold tiles on either side, but they'd been removed.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Redlands
4 West Redlands Boulevard
Redlands, CA 92373

(Photos by Daniel Paul)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:34 pm

5760 Crenshaw Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA

No exterior or interior artwork visible. However, the tile near the cornice seems like it might be painted over. Perhaps there was something there at one time.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:28 am

(Additional locations from 1950s brochure selectively added)

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:46 pm

looks to me like cheap ceramic likely covering the original gold mosaic tile within the band wrapping the eave.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:17 pm

Guess which location has two Home S&L emblems, one on each side in brilliant gold and red, and both about five feet tall?

Santa Monica!

That's right. When the Cellular Fantasies signs were removed, these original emblems were revealed. They're both in very good shape, although one has a little damage on the edge where they drilled through the building to run electricity to the new sign.

But if you want to see them in person, you'd better hurry on down. I spoke with one of the construction workers and he said the plan is to put new signs over them. I also asked about the stained glass, and at first he said it was going to remain covered up, and then reversed himself and said that the outside was going to stay the same. So I think the stained glass is going to be visible in the new store.

I took photos, but have loaned out my card reader and can't transfer the images to my computer. I will post them the first chance I get.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:36 am

Here are the shields on the Santa Monica location.

This one is on the Wilshire side of the building, and as you can see, they chewed up the side a bit drilling through the wall to light the Cellular Fantasy sign that covered this. Eventually they will be covered again.

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:35 pm

The 115 S Central address in Glendale was demolished sometime in the '70s, and a few years later the land became part of the Glendale Galleria. My late mother-in-law worked at that branch around 1955-1960, and all accounts from there were moved to the new Brand Blvd. branch when the Central Ave. location closed.

The Burbank Olive Ave branch would have been next to the existing B of A, probably taken out when they built the offices at San Fernando and Olive.

I'll keep an eye out for historical photos of those locations.

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:42 pm

The Olive Ave. branch in Burbank might have originally been the Security First bank at the corner of San Fernando. If not, it would have had to have been right next to it, where the B of A has a parking lot now.

But meanwhile, here's vintage views of the one at San Fernando and Burbank:

http://wesclark.com/burbank/burbank_blvd_1970s_home.jpg
http://wesclark.com/burbank/burbank_blvd_nov_1972.jpg
http://wesclark.com/burbank/burbank_blvd_1973.jpg

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:37 am

Torrance, 1511 Cravens Ave, with bird mosaic and decorative ironwork around the front windows. The Arenson Blog claims this as a former Home Savings & Loan.

Right now it's serving as a Warner Cable office. But there's a plaque next to the door that says the building is historic, and served as the Torrance City Hall from 1936-1956.

Have we ever seen an HSL in a building they did not construct? Anyway, I've messaged the Torrance Historical Society to try to get more info.

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite
Location: Los Angeles/Highland Park CA (Native of Dallas, TX)

Postby Chrisgreen » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:58 am

Not much to report from South County... one location seemed to be gone completely (Mission Viejo on Alicia Parkway). The other three were later or different architectural designs that appear to have never been touched by Millard Sheets.

The addresses were:
El Toro, 23861 El Toro Road
Laguna Hills/Laguna Woods, 24310 Moulton Parkway
Mission Viejo, 26971 Crown Valley Parkway

I'm having trouble posting photos here again, so here's a link to photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mistergree ... 738590634/

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:15 am

The Long Beach location at 201 E. First St. is now a parking lot.

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:43 am

Bristol Town & Country
3638 S. Bristol St.

It is now a store called Casual Male XL with no artwork on the exterior or inside.

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:57 pm

Gnomus wrote:SFG, yes, I shot both locations in Buena Park; the photos are on one of these pages.

Most of these addresses are different from what we have. I tried looking them up with Google Street View, with no luck. Home S&L seems to have gone on a rampage of building: putting up a branch and then putting up a larger branch nearby just a few years later.

And the manager made one mistake: the Compton branch still exists, with art. Chris shot it a while back.

We still need photos of the Buena Park location at 6311 Manchester Blvd.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:22 pm

jasonf wrote:
Gnomus wrote:SFG, yes, I shot both locations in Buena Park; the photos are on one of these pages.

Most of these addresses are different from what we have. I tried looking them up with Google Street View, with no luck. Home S&L seems to have gone on a rampage of building: putting up a branch and then putting up a larger branch nearby just a few years later.

And the manager made one mistake: the Compton branch still exists, with art. Chris shot it a while back.

We still need photos of the Buena Park location at 6311 Manchester Blvd.

Manchester Blvd is now La Palma. The two locations by Knott's are on the corner of Beach Blvd & La Palma.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:14 pm

Google Maps puts 6311 Manchester next to a freeway with no "Manchester" in sight. 6311 La Palma maps to a residential area. I'll be surprised if anyone finds it.

Since it's not LA county, it's technically outside the scope of this survey... a.k.a. The Nichols Defense. This info is useful to the Arenson Blog, as they're interested in all locations.

The two locations by Knott's are the ones I shot.

By the way, this blog:

http://historylosangeles.blogspot.com/2 ... rance.html

says that the former city hall on Cravens Ave in Torrance WAS an HSL location from the 1970s (when the mural was added) until the 1980s...

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:34 pm

Fresh from the Arenson Blog, this 1998 article about the WAMU acquisition of HSL:

http://www.allbusiness.com/banking-fina ... 402-1.html

It lists the 161 locations by county, 22 of which were in LA county; unfortunately, the info is broken up into multiple pages...

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:24 am

Thank you for the clarifications about the former Buena Park location.

As for the Nichols defense, it no longer applies (right Nichols?). HS locations outside of LA County are now relevant to the survey.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:49 am

I guess I missed that meeting.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:33 pm

I went through that 1998 article about the WAMU acquisition of HSL and pulled out the LA county locations. The numbers in the article are wrong. They list 40 locations of WAMU and HSL banks that were closed to consolidate; 20 of which were HSL. All told, it documents 42 HSL locations, many of which are not on our list.

One thing this list does is settle a question posed on page 1 of this thread: the bank at 400 N Indian Hill Blvd in Claremont was indeed an HSL at one time... Another is that it settles whether or not HSL was moving into existing buildings. So the Torrance building on Cravens might have been an HSL; I'm still waiting to hear back from the Torrance Historical Society.

With Google Street View I've confirmed that some of these locations still exist as Chase Banks, but I can't see art on any of them. Let me know if you want me to throw these new addresses into the mix.

jmarellano
Modern Groupie

Postby jmarellano » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Manchester Ave in Buena Park is now Auto Center Dr.

The Address of 6311 Manchester Blvd would place it near where the Honda Dealer is now, which is 6411 Beach Boulevard (The Nissan Dealer across the street is 6501 Auto Center). Im sure this spot was demolished when they started the widening of the freeway. CarMax is 6100 Auto Center Dr.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:55 am

This time around, we're going statewide. I hereby declare the Nichols defense indefensible.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:43 pm

DAMN YOU, CHRIS NICHOLS!

Anyway, here are a few I've seen mentioned online that are supposed to have art...

Barstow -- 1291 E Main Street -- Figures On Horseback mural
Sacramento -- address unknown -- Wild West mural
San Francisco -- (c. 1973) -- 2750 Van Ness Ave -- Gold Rush mural
San Francisco -- (1976) -- 98 W Portal Ave -- Farmer of Pacific Rim mural
San Jose -- (1972) -- 1099 Lincoln Ave -- murals: Tree House, Flying Kites, Toy Boats
San Jose -- 1402 Lincoln Ave

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:39 pm

Los Angeles
761 S. Broadway

It is now a Ria money transfer branch on the corner of Broadway and W. 8th St. Nothing to report inside, but that's not your typical HS building now is it?

Last edited by jasonf on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:54 pm

La Habra
1300 W. Imperial Hwy.

It's your typical, newly renovated O.C. location with no artwork inside or on the exterior.

Under the "H" you can see a smudge where presumably the Home Savings and Loan shield used to be.

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:56 pm

The Anaheim location at 211 E. Center St. is now a parking garage.

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:10 pm

Orange
179 N. Tustin Ave.

It is now the location of West Coast Dental. I couldn't see inside. There is no artwork on the exterior except for a red band with hammered copper plates that runs around the building.

Last edited by jasonf on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:25 pm

Orange
225 N. Tustin Ave.

Interestingly, next door to 179 N. Tustin is this Chase location, which is not on the list. It shares the same sculpture that is featured at the La Mirada and Compton locations. Nichols took a picture of the signature on the La Mirada sculpture, which reads "R.F.E." This could refer to Renzo Fenci whose sculptures adorn many former Home Savings locations.

Last edited by jasonf on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”