Home Savings buildings

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:35 pm

Garden Grove
9836 Garden Grove Blvd.

Now a beauty salon.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:56 pm

WESTWAYS

Saving the Art of Home Savings
Efforts are afoot to preserve Millard Sheets’ L.A. murals
By Vickey Kalambakal | Photographs by Vanessa Stump
Westways September 2010

http://www.calif.aaa.com/westways/2010- ... vings.aspx

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Hmm, that link is delivering me to a AAA ad that doesn't give me any option but to enter my zipcode and get info on insurance that I don't need...

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:30 pm

Just put in a random zip code (Hollywood is 90028) and I think it will leave you alone.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:33 pm

(Via Chris Green)

Mission Viejo, 26971 Crown Valley Parkway

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:34 pm

(Via Chris Green)

Laguna Hills/Laguna Woods, 24310 Moulton Parkway

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:36 pm

(Via Chris Green)

El Toro, 23861 El Toro Road

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Only 20 more to go!

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:09 am

Here's a postcard image of the 8010 Beach Blvd location in Buena Park (now Attic retail), originally posted to the Arenson Blog by Heather David.

On the Flickr page where this image resides, someone commented on a "carousel painting" inside, however that painting is in the Chase Bank across the street at 7964 Beach Blvd. (I didn't go into Attic, it was closed -- there may be more art inside.)

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:48 pm

I was in Attic a few days ago. The walls are covered with plywood; I wouldn't be surprised if there's something interesting behind it.

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:11 pm

There is no longer a 118 E. Huntington Dr. in Arcadia. This building is 128 E. Huntington (which, from the look of it, could've been a bank...I couldn't see inside), and to the right is 102, a gas station.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:33 am

Yeah- I was really happy to see the Home Savings article in the AAA Magazine this week.

Did anybody else think that stylized portrait of the great William S Hart was stupendous? Wow. Love his home in Santa Clarita, too.

Anyway-found the author has a nice blog:
http://www.historylosangeles.blogspot.com/

and also am guessing some of you must be familiar with this effort at documentation:
http://adamarenson.wordpress.com/homesavingsbankart/

I'm happy to see the attention. These are uniquely Californian and deserve it.

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:18 pm

I just picked up this 1958 list. We have most of these except for the alternate Santa Ana and La Mirada address.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:21 pm

301 E. Colorado, Pasadena = redevelopment. Building is gone.

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:34 pm

I looked up the assessor's info for the Olive Ave. Burbank location, and realized that the Bank of America, even though it has another address, includes the old Home Savings address as part of its parcel. I still think it's a much newer building, but I can't tell for certain because the building date isn't listed. In case it is the same building, or a drastic remodel of it, I took a few quick photos. I didn't go inside, but I've been in there in the past and don't remember seeing any art. When I have the time I'll check inside again, but there's no art or anything else Home Savings-ish on the outside.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:22 pm

Ooh! A mystery in Burbank. That extended pediment thingee looks intriguing. Please do take a look inside.

It would appear that 7051 Hollywood is now the offices of L. Ron Hubbard's Galaxy Press. The (original) building here definitely predates Mr. Sheets' era, so let's say it probably does not contain any of his artwork. Unless someone wants to pay a visit to the Scientologists just to make sure.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:30 pm

We're coming up on the one year anniversary of this project and we're almost there! Let's finish it up by November, eh? THANK YOU FRIENDS.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:32 am

"It would appear that 7051 Hollywood is now the offices of L. Ron Hubbard's Galaxy Press. The (original) building here definitely predates Mr. Sheets' era, so let's say it probably does not contain any of his artwork. Unless someone wants to pay a visit to the Scientologists just to make sure."

I've been in there, back in the late 90s, when one of my short stories won a prize in their Writers of the Future contest. I don't recall any art other than Hubbard's, but I can stop in the next time I'm in Hollywood and double check.

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:40 am

Manhattan Beach
1800 N. Sepulveda Blvd.

Date taken: 09/04/10

This is a 1958 Craig Ellwood design. First a South Bay Bank, it is currently a Citizens Business Bank, and it inspired discussion on this forum a couple of years ago when there was talk of renovating it.

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=13058

Last edited by jasonf on Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:02 am

Santa Ana
819 N. Main St.

Date taken: 09/01/10

Now a chiropractic office.

The bank probably occupied the Bridal & Boutique shop next door judging from the continuous facade.

Last edited by jasonf on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:09 am

Anaheim
101 S. Harbor Blvd.

Date taken: 09/01/10

Photos of the exterior were taken in January and posted then before it was decided that this survey would be statewide. Here are more detailed photos, as well as ones of the interior. I also got an informative pamphlet about the artwork from the branch manager.

The Sheets mural, as well as the Susan Hertel stained glass window inside, depicts a very local history of Anaheim.

The surveyor depicted in the left portion of the mural mapped the original boundaries of the city, and behind him is a farmer attending to an orange grove. The center portion includes a fireman, who represents the first volunteer fire brigade, as well as a wedding.

The woman in the green gown is actress Madame Modjeska. The building hehind her is Planters Hotel, which once stood in this location. This link was provided by Nichols: http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt2n39q15w/. On the right are Chinese immigrants making wine.

A familiar John Svenson sculpture of a young girl (his daughter) playing with dolphins.

The stained glass window depicts everday scenes from the 1850s. The manager was kind enough to let me snap these and allow me access to the second floor to get this great shot.

Details from left to right...

Last edited by jasonf on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:32 am

That second-floor shot is a beauty! They have changed their policies since I was in there; I even asked if the security guard could take the photo to ensure their secrets (the Nichols Diversionary Tactic), but was told "No."
Is the pamphlet nice?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:24 pm

From Lakewood Public Information Officer D.J. Waldie:

"The former Home Savings in Lakewood is at the corner of Lakewood
Boulevard and Del Amo Boulevard, as the first floor of the only tall
building in the city. I have no recollection of a Home Savings on the
grounds of the shopping center (the Faculty address).

That location is roughly where a small strip of store fronts (called
the Faculty Shops) were located until the 1960s, when the Bullock’s
store was built. I do not recall there being a Home Savings among them.
And if there were, it would be unlikely that it had a Sheets mural.

South of the shops was a four-story medical building and further south,
a grocery store. Both of those were demolished in the development of
Bullock’s.

The building at Lakewood and Del Amo may have a Sheets mural inside
(I’ve never been in the bank). Outside is a bronze sculpture group:
a family with a dog. The group is raised on a 4-foot base around which
is a tile mural of fish."

Pam
Modern Groupie

Home Savings Buildings

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:54 am

Hello,

I followed a Millard Sheets link here and I'm so glad the Orange County branches of HSA will be included. I can help out with some of the history of the buildings. As a child, I sat in the car looking out at the Sheets mural on Main Street in Santa Ana as my mom shopped at an early Trader Joe's across the street. I then noticed the HSA buildings as I rode around southern California over the years. Beginning about 1970, I started taking photos of OC- & LA-area buildings.

1. Orange Branch: This building never had a large mural. It was newer construction added to the grocery store parking lot. It featured the two shields on either side of the entrance and one extremely small design over the door. It would not have been a Sheets mural, according to the information I've read in the posts here, as it was built in the 1980s. It was remodeled in the late 1980s or early 1990s as a bank and then turned into commercial retail.
2. Bristol Town & Country in Santa Ana: This branch was destroyed when the original shopping center was taken down. As I recall it faced toward Main Street and it was a much smaller version of the building on Main, but with a tile band and two long murals on either side. The clothing store in the image is newer construction (it might have used part of the foundation of the bank) and was put up during the transformation of Main Place, sometime in the 1980s.
3. South County: These two branches never looked like the other HSA buildings. They were newer construction to match the 1970s building code of the cities, aka fake ranch/modified mission with stucco and heavy wood accents. Everything was painted dark beige with dark, almost black accents. The banks have been remodeled a few times from the original construction, and I don't know what might have been removed from the inside.
4. Costa Mesa: Unfortunately, the building in the photo posted here did have wonderful, but small murals. When the redevelopment shopping center went in on 19th Street, the building was stuccoed over to match the redevelopment side of the street. The murals had already been replaced with the lighted shields, however, at that point. The shield modification was done to many of the OC branches at the same time.
5. One building that is not on the list is the Tustin HSL branch. It was late construction for the company, but the city had strict building codes and the company put up an older design, perhaps dragging out some old architectural plans. It's been nearly three years since I've been to Tustin, but the structure and the mural was still there then. The mural would not have been done by the Sheets group, but it may have used the groups original plans. The building was put up in the late-1980s. As I remember, the early mural was more 3-D, with larger, rougher tile work, and didn't look anything like Sheets', et al's designs. The overall front, however, looked much like the basic box with the gold tile band and the mural insert over the door. It was a planning fight and took at least a decade to get permission to put up the structure due to parking restrictions. That bank didn't last long and was soon taken over by another banking institution. It may still be in operation as a bank.

I live in Indianapolis, IN, but I'd love to help with the project any way I can. I have access to a number of city directories for LA & OC and can look up address changes, should anyone need that information.

PLG

P.S. The Hoosier State has some pretty nice M-C, Googie and Atomic architecture!

Pam
Modern Groupie

Tustin HSA

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:31 am

I just looked up the Tustin branch on Google's spy camera (forget the polite term they give it) and found that it does look like the old HSA buildings. It's stucco and was constructed before Sheets' death. The mural is of an old Victorian in town, the Stephen's House, so Sheets might have had something to do with the art, since the bank really wanted to put up something that would be approved the city zoning board who didn't want the large bank building in the downtown in the first place. It's still there, operating as a Well's Fargo, with the mural (looking much nicer, but tamer, than I remembered) on the front. The location is: 18356 Irvine Bld., Tustin, CA 92780.

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:11 pm

Hi Pam,
Great info, thank you!

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:55 pm

Stopped in at 7051 Hollywood Blvd, now home to Galaxy Press, and spoke with the security guards. There's no artwork visible in the building now. No idea if any had been covered up in their remodel...

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Thousand Oaks
50 W. Hillcrest Drive

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is probably not a Millard Sheets location. However, they do have some artwork... AND the newish addition of a fireman's museum?! Neat.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:10 pm

Woodland Hills
22233 Mulholland Highway

Demolished or remodeled completely out of existence.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”