Fox Inglewood Theater

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Gnomus
Modern Master

Fox Inglewood Theater

Postby Gnomus » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:51 pm

Last week I had the privilege of going into the long-closed Fox Theater in Inglewood to shoot stills and video. This is a 1949 Art Moderne building by S. Charles Lee that has been closed for over 20 years. The theater is for sale, and the Los Angeles Historic Theatre Foundation and others are looking into getting it restored as a multi-use venue for the city.

The video (which incorporates my photos) is up on the LAHTF's YouTube channel. The video is called "Insider's Peeks #1."

www.youtube.com/lahtf

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 am

I was disheartened a few years back when I returned to Inglewood to find that the neon had been completely stripped of the facade of the theater. I made a few phone calls to the city, but received no return calls and no responses to my letters. The central, vertical spire not only read FOX in neon can lettering, but it had an overlay of the word PREVIEW on it in neon.

The scripted FOX lettering that went to the left and right above the marquee was also removed at that time. The central, Skouras-style flourish is still there, but it too had been stripped of its tubes.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:25 pm

Yes, it's a shame to lose the neon, but we did find the scripted Fox lettering from the marquee, tucked away in a closet (the metal frame, that is, minus the neon).

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:14 pm

That's definitely good to hear. My fingers are crossed it will find its way back onto the marquee once again.

annie
Modern Fan

Postby annie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:52 pm

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:04 pm

The Los Angeles Historic Theatre Foundation's "All About" series returns in 2010. The state of the Fox Inglewood precludes using it as a meeting place, BUT --

On Feb 20, we will be meeting at the nearby Academy Theater.
This is an S. Charles Lee design from 1939, originally intended to house the Academy Awards (though it was never used for that purpose). For over 30 years it has served as the Academy Cathedral.

As usual, there will be a walking tour following a Powerpoint presentation on the history of the Academy and the Fox Inglewood. And if all goes well, we'll be able to give people a quick walk through of the Fox as well.

Stay tuned for details!

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:50 am

Saturday, Feb 20, parking is available behind the Academy. Doors open at 1:30, the presentation starts at 2 p.m. As well as the history of the Inglewood theaters, the current efforts to preserve the Fox Inglewood will be discussed, followed by a tour of the Academy.

By the way, bidding on the Fox Inglewood has been extended by one month, due to a last minute request.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:15 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to a scheduling conflict, we have to move Saturday's All About up in time. Now the doors will open at 10 a.m., and the event will start at 10:30 a.m.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:02 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”