8441 Santa Monica Blvd - Ritts Bldg

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SkipHome
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

8441 Santa Monica Blvd - Ritts Bldg

Postby SkipHome » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:36 am

does anyone know the architect and/or background of the fabulous ritts bldg at 8441 santa monica blvd - right next to barney's beanery.
new tenants - rocket science laboratories, a production company - just moved in after hollywood stock exchange went under.
incredible flagstone fireplace, clerestories, vaulted roofs.
any info would be appreciated. :cheers:

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:24 am

LA TIMES

Shirley Ritts
Designer, mother of Herb Ritts

Shirley Ritts, 87, an interior designer whose company helped popularize rattan furniture in the U.S. and who was the mother of renowned portrait photographer Herb Ritts, died Sunday at her Brentwood home, said her daughter, Christy. Ritts had been ill with emphysema.

When she married the senior Herb Ritts in 1950, he owned a furniture company that benefited from the post-World War II popularity of rattan furniture. Her husband oversaw design, and she supervised sales.

"People put the rattan there, and they thought they were cool," Ritts told The Times in 1999. "They were living the California life, even if they were in Ohio."...

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/ ... 6236.story

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:47 am

Wasn't this designed by Lloyd Wright? Or was that another building nearby?

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

SkipHome
Modern Master

Postby SkipHome » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:51 am

tony, i think you're thinking of the lloyd wright studio on doheny drive. the ritts building would be a great adaptive re-use as a tiki restaurant!

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:28 pm

I may be confused about the exact building, but I remember a cool Lloyd Wright retail buiding to the east of Barnies on the north side of Santa Monica Blvd.

And yes, the Lloyd Wright House & Studio is on Doheny. It's really great. Haven't been inside that one in a few years.

Tony
Tony Merchell

www.glassandsteel.com

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:55 pm

Rocket Science Labs (Formerly Ritts Co.)
8441 Santa Monica Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90069

Year Built: 1951
Architect: Henry "H.R." Harrison

Previous discussion:
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... ight=ritts

SkipHome
Modern Master

Postby SkipHome » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:00 pm

thanks, chris, for posting the picture and the name of the architect....now i wonder what building tony is talking about?

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:22 pm

Hmmm,

I think that is the building I was thinking of. Looks rather Wrightian doesn't it. Perhaps I jumped to a miscorrect conclusion. . .

Tony
Tony Merchell

www.glassandsteel.com

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:45 pm

No Tony your right on, it's quite Wrightian, it has the feel of James Masons mountain retreat in North By Northwest, incredible fireplace and a seductive catwalk, It would be the hipist of nite spots.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 pm

I understand this building has come on the market. Any news out there?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:58 pm

Slideshow of the building as it looks today:
http://www.lightirondigital.com/LightIR ... TURES.html

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”