Knott's Berry Farm history book and website

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Chris Merritt
Modern Socialite

Knott's Berry Farm history book and website

Postby Chris Merritt » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Hi all -

I just wanted you to know that I finally got my website - knottspreserved.com - up and running. It's ostensibly to promote the book, which is coming out this March - but even more, to show many of the images that were cut from the book due to size limitations. Trying to fit 90 years of history into a 144-page book will do that! The amazing J. Eric Lynxwiler is my co-author, by the way.

You can view the new website here:

http://www.knottspreserved.com

I only have had time to put up some basic informational pages, along with about 5 sections showcasing photos and other media (Paul von Klieben, Christmas in Ghost Town, the Haunted Shack, the Calico Mine Ride & Knott's Bear-y Tales). I will be adding more as time allows, but for now, I hope that is interesting and whets your appetite for more. I also will have a blog, which I will also be updating as time allows. The first entry tells you the background on how this project came to be - I have been working on this in some fashion since the early 1990s! This is the page to bookmark and check on every so often to learn what is going on with the book.

http://www.knottspreserved.com/Site/Blog/Blog.html

Lastly, when you do look at the pages with photos on them, be sure to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page. At the bottom, I am trying to include excerpts from many of the interviews I have done over the years, and some of the recordings in my collection. Some of the pages make take some time to load - as I didn't want to make the images and videos even smaller than they already are. So - I would recommend a high speed connection if possible. If not, be patient. It will load eventually.

I hope you enjoy the website! If you have time to mention to anyone else you think might be interested, please do!

All best,
Chris Merritt

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:15 pm

Now you made me want Chicken dinner!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:53 am

The ModCom is planning a special event with Mr. Merritt to celebrate the release of his book. Keep watching this space for announcements. Congratulations on your book and website!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:08 am

Oh - a hearty big congratulations for you on this accomplishment, Chris!

Please keep us posted on all your announcements.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Chris Merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby Chris Merritt » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:13 am

Thanks! I appreciate the support...

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:55 am

April 18 book signing (and then some) at Knott's Berry Farm

Hooray! Knott's Preserved is on its way. We're setting up a few signings the week of April 17-25, but the one you all must attend is on April 18. Chris Merrit and I will be signing at Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant along with Tony Baxter who wrote the book's introduction. Doors open at 10 and we'll sign all we can through noon.

Also, we're planning a big, ticketed event to follow the book signing. The big day will include admission to Knott's Berry Farm, walking tours of Ghost Town, a lecture on Knott's history in the Bird Cage Theatre, dinner at the Chicken Dinner Restaurant and a Q&A with several notable designers from Knott's past. If you like Halloween Haunt, Knott's Bear-y Tales or the Wacky Soap Box Racers, you certainly don't want to miss our guests at that evening's Q&A.

We'll have more details regarding this ticketed event soon. In the meantime, mark your calendars for the April 18, Knott's Preserved book signing with me, Chris, and Tony Baxter. See you there!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”