THE DONUT HOLE

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

CHRISFOERSTEL
Modern Groupie

THE DONUT HOLE

Postby CHRISFOERSTEL » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:34 pm

ON THE L.A. CONSERVANCY WEBSITE, IT SHOWS THE DONUT HOLE AS ARCHITECT UNKNOWN, MY FATHER, EDMUND C. FOERSTEL,NOW DECEASED WAS THE ARCH./ENGINEER OF RECORD.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:57 pm

Amazing! Welcome aboard. I've been a Donut Hole fan for decades. I grew up nearby. We never found the architect because La Puente doesn't have building permits from the '60s.... Though I remember maybe seeing drawings once.. Hmm. Thanks for the info. Do you have photos or plans or anything? What else did your dad do?

THANKS

CHRISFOERSTEL
Modern Groupie

Postby CHRISFOERSTEL » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:31 pm

THANKS,
MY DAD WAS CALIFORNIA STRUCTURAL ENGINEER NO. 957, EARLY IN HIS CAREER HE WORKED FOR KISTNER WRIGHT AND WRIGHT, PERHAPS THE CERRITOS COLLEGE BUILDING IN THE BOOK MODERNISM REDISCOVERED IS MOST NOTABLE.AFTER THE DEMISE OK K,W&W, HE WENT SOLO. HE WORKED ON BUILDINGS LIKE HARVEY'S BROILER, THE FARM HOUSE SIGN , THE GIANT K AT THE TOP OF THE PARACHUTE RIDE AT KNOTTS, ( all gone now ) THE FIRST TACO BELL, THE FIRST IN-N-OUT, ETC...I REMEMBER AS A CHILD EVERYONE HE WORKED WITH WERE A.I.B.D., NOT ARCHITECTS, BACK THEN THEY WERE DESIGNERS LIKE PAUL CLAYTON, E.L. MOORE, JACKSON WALTERS ETC. MY DAD GRADUATED FROM USC IN THE LATE FORTIES/EARLY FIFTIES. PRIOR TO HIS PASSING HE TOLD ME HE WAS GLAD HIS CAREER WAS OVER AND FELT SORRY FOR ME BECAUSE OF THE WAY THE INDUSTRY HAS CHANGED. ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO I CONTACTED WALTERS TO SEE IF HE HAD ANY OLD PLANS, BUT DIDN'T. ALL OF THE MID-CENTURY ARCHITECTURE GIVES ME PEACE OF MIND JUST THINKING ABOUT WHAT A SIMPLER, HAPPIER TIME IT WAS FOR THE WORLD, ALSO, I AM ANXIOUSLY AWAITING THE OUTCOME OF THE CENTURY PLAZA, WHAT A SHAME.........
THANKS AGAIN,
CHRIS FOERSTEL

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:38 pm

Do you know what year this was built? I've seen it given variously as 1958, 1968 or 1978...

p.s. Please take the caps lock off, as it makes your posts difficult to read.

CHRISFOERSTEL
Modern Groupie

Postby CHRISFOERSTEL » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Sorry, bad habit.
I have seen different dates in articles, but I remember being there as a child, which would put it at about 1964/1965.
Chris

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:10 pm

I've seen the year all over the place too, but the tax assessor says 1968.
Gosh, I'm sorry we didn't get the chance to interview your dad. I know La Puente and Covina (on Grand Ave.) but were there others?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:31 am

Hi Chris - welcome to the site. thank you so much for dropping in and sharing the info on one of our all time favorite buildings!
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

CHRISFOERSTEL
Modern Groupie

Postby CHRISFOERSTEL » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:22 am

Thank you,
I think I have some pictures of the design center in Covina.
It was demolished to make way for an on ramp.
If I do, I will forward them to you.
Chris

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:17 am

I would definitely be interested to hear about other Donut Hole locations and if they all featured the huge donut entrances and exits. I believe in "California Crazy" it says that there were five of them; I have a note (forget the source) that one was built in Covina in 1963.

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:03 am

Hello Chris, how nice to hear from you! Thank you for sharing this info with us, it helps answer some important questions. When did your Dad pass? I hope he was able to witness the resurgence and renewed appreciation for mid-century architecture and see how much it has inspired a new generation.

CHRISFOERSTEL
Modern Groupie

Postby CHRISFOERSTEL » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Thank you,
My dad passed away November 1, 2005 in his sleep.
I showed him the books like Googie, California crazy, and even the book Southern California in the 50's , show's the "Farm House" sign, that used to be near the on ramp by Disneyland but now demolished, one of many sign structures he worked on.
When I was a child, a plan for a Koenig like cliffhanger home he wanted to build hung on the wall , but never transpired.
I am now fifty years old, and all these things from that time seem so important to me.
I will try to find pictures of the "Design Center" and post them here.
thanks,
Chris

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:54 am

they ARE important - and not just to you...
to us, too.

thank you for sharing.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”