Las Vegas: The Tam and the Horseshoe

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Las Vegas: The Tam and the Horseshoe

Postby lasvegaslynn » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:58 pm

I was up in Vegas two weeks ago. The Tam is gone, however the Glass Pool was still there. No water in the pool but still there for anyone who wants to stop by and take a picture.

As Las Vegas reinvents itself one more time we are likely to see more redevelopment. For those interested in preserving images of the town I would suggest Las Vegas Blvd between Sahara and Charleston. Many of those small motels like the Rummel, the Holiday and Fun City with their 1950s neon signs probably won't survive much longer. Sandra Harris at the Neon Museum is doing all she can to preserve the signs but I would get those pictures while you can of them in their native enviroment.

I wish I had paid more attention to all that wonderful neon when I was growing up there. But I always thought it would be there because it had been for so long.

Another one to keep an eye on is the Horseshoe. Becky Binion Behan has sold it to Harrah's. Harrah's retains the rights to the World Series of Poker and the Horseshoe name. After the World Series of Poker this year, Harrah's plans to move the WSOP to the Strip and either build or buy an existing Strip hotel and call it the Horseshoe. As of now, Harrah's has sold the Horseshoe to MRT which within the year will rebrand the downtown building "Binions". Hopefully, all the existing Horseshow signage will end up at the Neon Museum. As for the downtown building Alan Hess believes that the ediface of the original Hotel Apache (home of the first building with an elevator in Las Vegas) still exists behind the current Horseshoe facade.
The Hotel Apache dates back to the mid-1930's so hopefully the building will remain in all this corporate shuffling.

Probably more Las Vegas history than you wanted so I hope I wasn't too off topic.

Lynn
Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:38 pm

you are not off topic at all... all mid century discussion is welcome here.

Can you imagine how exciting that would be if the Hotel Apache was still there. i have an old black and white real photo post card of it someplace...

but i would hate to find out at the expense of losing Binion's.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:41 pm

WHAT!
i just re-read your post... what is the plan for the hotels north of sahara?

who do we need to write - i hope they will learn from the horrible Anaheim redevelopment - the desecration of history.

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Las Vegas

Postby lasvegaslynn » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:34 pm

There are no official plans yet for the north part of the Strip. At least none that I am aware of. We are up there about once a month these days and talking to lots of people because of the centennial project we are producing.

The main reason I am worried about the hotels between Sahara and Charleston is:

1 Wynn Las Vegas has plans to open next Spring. It is on the site of the old Desert Inn. This should bring a flood of tourists to that end of the Strip.
2 Shel Adelson is adding on the Venetian which is just south of Wynn Las Vegas and that will addition will bring more traffic.
3 The Hilton is building time share towers on the southern part of the original El Rancho Las Vegas property which has been vacant since the fire in 1960.
4 Donald Trump is said to be building a property on some of the property of the Frontier (though given today's LA Times business section maybe not).
5 There is a rumor that Wet and Wild (the water park to the south of the Sahara) is rumored to ultimately be dismantled so a new hotel can be built there.

The first three have the potential to bring tourism back to the northern part of the Strip. If the monorail succeeds in going downtown by 2007, ultimately that land between Sahara and Charleston will go up in value. As many of those smaller motels belong to mom and pop owners as they age, either they or, in the event of their deaths, their kids will sell the property because they bought those properties back in the 1950s-1960s when land was cheap. With people wanting to stay in fancier accomodations, those old motels won't last forever. Las Vegas is on a reinvention streak the likes we have not seen before.

The Tropicana is accepting reservations through next May. For the last year there has been talk that the Trop (where Maynard Sloate first brought jazz to Vegas) will be demolished. Given the size of the property, they will build two hotels on that corner.

Andy Kirk and Preserve Nevada and Sandra Harris at the Neon Museum are doing all they can to try and preserve what remains. It is not easy. The majority of people who call Las Vegas home these days arrived in the last ten years. They do not share that committment to preserving the city's past because they have no idea what that past is. To them, the Mirage, at 15, is an old hotel. You tell them the Riviera is celebrating its 50th birthday next month and they tell you "so that's why it looks like a dump".

Perhaps the upcoming Centennial will make folks more aware that Las Vegas does have a history beyond Bugsy and the Rat Pack.

Lynn ***

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

The Horseshoe

Postby lasvegaslynn » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:35 pm

If we get to explore the Horseshoe both interior and exterior, I'll let you know what we find!

Lynn ***

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby roadsidepictures » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:44 pm

I got permission to step out onto the fire escape to shoot this picture of the original 1932 Hotel Apache!

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby roadsidepictures » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:49 pm

...and looking the other way...

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:53 pm

Hot damn, you've got connections.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”