The Huddle restaurants

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Synthetrix
Modern Master

The Huddle restaurants

Postby Synthetrix » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:15 pm

I have added a section to my site that is about the long gone Huddle restaurant chain.
http://synthetrix.com/huddle/preface.htm
These cool restaurant/bars were designed by Armet & Davis and I do not think any of the buildings exist any longer.
I am hoping to gather more info about the history of these places and some more pictures. I would love to hear from anyone who has any interesting stories on the history of these places or if you worked there and know more about the history drop me a line. Pictures would be really great and I will credit the photographer on the site.
Last edited by Synthetrix on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I remember the Huddle in West Covina/Eastland

Postby modfan » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:17 am

It's where the TGI Friday's is now. I think it was kinda a steep high A frame type building.
I remember inside this real different fireplace-it was a curved stone wall to the ceiling and instead of a firepit there was this gas pipe coiled to the ceiling with small holes which let out small flames along it. Now that I think about it-seems kinda energy wasteful/hazardous/explosive and it would probably never be done now

Phillip
Modern Fan

Postby Phillip » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:25 pm

If the Huddle was in the TGI Fridays, that's across from Pann's.
I read that The Clock was nearby.
That area was Googie Row!

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Postby Synthetrix » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:05 am

He means the TGI Fridays that is at the Eastland Shopping Center in West Covina. The Clock was in Inglewood though, not all that far from Pann's.
I pass by Pann's twice a day coming and going to work. At least it's still around.
Last edited by Synthetrix on Wed May 11, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Huddle Springs Restaurant

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:28 pm

Don't forget the fantastic Huddle Springs Restaurant that once stood in Palm Springs. Designed by William F. Cody, F.A.I.A., it was quite spectactular. A victem of speculative demolition, it was bulldozed for a hotel/resort which was never built. And it's still a vacant lot today.

You can see a shot of this great place in "Palm Springs Weekend" by Alan Hess and Andrew Danish.

Synthetrix
Modern Master

re: Huddle Springs

Postby Synthetrix » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:40 pm

Yeah there are also pictures of it here and in it's later incarnation as Sherman's Deli.
http://www.psmodcom.com/Architects%20Pa ... rings.html
Was this also part of the Paul Cummins' chain?
V

SkipHome
Modern Master

Re: Huddle Springs Restaurant/ a rare rebuild

Postby SkipHome » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:37 am

TM wrote:Don't forget the fantastic Huddle Springs Restaurant that once stood in Palm Springs. Designed by William F. Cody, F.A.I.A., it was quite spectactular. A victem of speculative demolition, it was bulldozed for a hotel/resort which was never built. And it's still a vacant lot today.

You can see a shot of this great place in "Palm Springs Weekend" by Alan Hess and Andrew Danish.

a rare thing is happening: the huddles restaurant in palm springs is being rebuilt to the exact specs of cody's original, on the same exact site. an architect named james cioffi is developing the property, which will include retail and housing on palm canyon between sunny dunes and mesquite.
i believe the project has passed the first couple of hurdles with the p.s. planning commission and should start construction this year!

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Huddle Springs!

Postby Synthetrix » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:07 am

That's very cool. I can't wait to go out and check it out when it's done.
V

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:35 pm

If I passed Panns twice a day, I would weigh 400 pounds!

GOD, I love their food! The building isn't too bad either.

The Huddle images look great!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:37 pm

SkipHome: this is good news about PS. Looking forward to seeing this develop...

Synthetrix
Modern Master

For fans of the huddle restaurants

Postby Synthetrix » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:50 pm

I met with Paul Cummins (son of the Huddle restaurants owner) and his daughter Anna yesterday. They are very nice folks and they generously shared a lot of great stories and pictures from the restaurants and I will be updating this section of my site soon.

Has anyone heard any more info about the design of the Huddle (Palm) Springs restaurant building being rebuilt for a new development there?

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:44 pm

The site is still a vacant lot. No sign of progress.

Synthetrix I'm really interested to know just how Cody got that project. Since Armet & Davis did the Huddle's, how did Cody get this one? If you talk to that family again, would you please ask?

Thanks!

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:14 pm

This is a great pic!

http://www.psmodcom.com/Architects%20Pa ... rings.html

Is this Armet & Davis? What a Mod romance! Anybody have other pics of this? (Gee, I love those crisp b+w shots. With good lighting, nothing's better. This could be Schulman?) Check that integrated "rockscaping"; it's REALLY hard to tell where the glass line is. . .J Lautner, eat your heart out!

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:25 pm

This is the William F. Cody, F.A.I.A. designed restaurant. In between Huddle and Sherman's Deli it was also Aloha Jhoes. This building was part of the Cameron Center, also designed by Cody. Had a variety of shops including an award-winning Mayfair Market. All demolished, of course.

If I remember correctly, Cody did the conceptual design on a tablecloth at the Chi Chi one evening.

This is certainly one of Cody's most exuberant works. An anomoly, as he tended to be quite Miesian.

Tony
Tony Merchell

www.glassandsteel.com

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:40 pm

Wow -- thanks. Just when you think you've seen everything. . .Wouldn't it be a hoot to replicate it; it would be a real attention-getter, no? (I wonder what elements would need changing, for code issues, etc.)

Where's that cocktail napkin. . .!

SDR

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:05 am

Here's some postcards of Sherman's Deli, which followed in the Huddle space. I've tweaked thenight shot a bit to brighten it up, the original postcard shot is very dark.

Sherman's later moved into its present space across the street from the Spa Hotel. And the Spa Hotel was also designed by Cody. Extensively altered now.

Tony
Tony Merchell

www.glassandsteel.com

SkipHome
Modern Master

Unfortunately

Postby SkipHome » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:10 am

....it appears the Huddles restoration is kaput. On last week's Planning Commission agenda was a new plan for the property, with a new developer - proposing over 100 residential units + 15,000 sq ft of commercial along (south) Palm Canyon and east along Mesquite. Jim Cioffi was the designer on the Huddles project.

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Looking forward

Postby Synthetrix » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:52 am

We can never go home. Too bad.

I was afraid that was going to be the case for the Huddle Springs.
It was great to hear Anna Cummins say that it was a pipe dream of her and her sister's to open a new huddle restaurant, but knew it would probably never happen. I learned that it was not the building that made the place great, althought it certainly helped, but rather the man, Paul S. Cummins that made his restaurants fun places to spend an evening.

I think the remodeled Huddle section of Photos of the Forgotten will also focus on the human story as well as the architectural triumphs of the time as executed by the masters of the mode, Armet & Davis. I believe the Huddle Eastland in West Covina was one of the greatest examples of the Googie age and sadly is lost forever, but hopefully I can create something that will honor it and the other restaurants that Paul created historically and share it with the world wide web.

I don't know why Huddle Springs was not designed by A&D, but Cody's design was amazing and very "desert". Wright inspired for sure.

MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby MD² » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:10 am

--
Last edited by MD² on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:25 am

Unfortunately, Julius Shulman never photographed the Cody Huddle. And even more unfortunately, he only photographed about 10 of Cody's projects. Unlike Albert Frey or Richard Neutra, Cody did not seem to appreciate the importance of photography.

It is possible that there are some additional photographs in the Cody Archives at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. There is no seperate entry for Huddle, so if there is anything it might be in the Cameron Center records, Box #04, Collection #7.

Tony
Tony Merchell

www.glassandsteel.com

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:10 am

You guys are the best.
If that isn't great "desert architecture," I don't know what is (was). . .

(I wonder if Cody drove an automobile -- there are some oddities in the parking plan. . .!)

SDR

modfan

Which one had

Postby modfan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:20 am

an outdoor dining patio-Springs or Sherman's. I may have eaten there once, near the end before it was demolished. I remember parts of the edge of the roof were quite low that you could touch them.

Alan Hess
Modern Groupie

Postby Alan Hess » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:21 am

Paul Cummins had a dramatic flair as a client, and it shows in all his buildings. My new edition of Googie Redux has more photos and the plan of the Springs on p 98. It is an amazing design of acute angles, successfully translated into three dimensions -- it was in my opinion one of the best Googie designs.

MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby MD² » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:36 pm

--
Last edited by MD² on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

modfan

Is this a similar building to

Postby modfan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:19 pm

the Springs/Sherman's further-east on Palm Canyon Drive-I think it was 'The Charthouse' restaurant but it may be something else now-it was next to that shopping center that had/s a 'Kriess Collection' store.

SkipHome
Modern Master

Re: Is this a similar building to

Postby SkipHome » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm

modfan wrote:the Springs/Sherman's further-east on Palm Canyon Drive-I think it was 'The Charthouse' restaurant but it may be something else now-it was next to that shopping center that had/s a 'Kriess Collection' store.

Kellogg's Charthouse is not that similar to the demolished Huddles and was built somewhat later. It is built into the slope/hillside and seems to be almost underground. The Charthouse is now called "Haliewa Joe's" restaurant -- and they have faithfully retained the architecture, which is amazing. Stop in for a Mai Tai. It's in Rancho Mirage.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:13 pm

http://www.psmodcom.com/2003%20Awards.html

Scroll down to see two images of the Charthouse.

There is some strange similarity between the Charthouse and Huddle, kind of insect-like or crustacian-like. Cody's being, of course, angular; and Kellogg's being curvacious. I'm going to have to ask Ken about this.

Tony
Tony Merchell

www.glassandsteel.com

Synthetrix
Modern Master

The new Huddle section is up!

Postby Synthetrix » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:11 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:19 am

WoW!
This is the most amazing thing ever!
wOw!

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:51 am

Vic . . . Chris & I have been ooo-ing and aah-ing over Huddle all morning!! It's absolutely amazing to see all of these incredible photos, the construction pix, the brochure . . . ! We'll be walking around in a daze for the rest of the year. Come visit us at Movieland Wax Museum today at 3PM if you can! Adriene

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”