1911 Mayfair Theater, Santa Monica

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

1911 Mayfair Theater, Santa Monica

Postby nichols » Fri May 14, 2010 8:40 am

The 1911 Mayfair theater in Santa Monica was finally demolished recently, leaving only this facade.

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/1984/

LOOKOUT NEWS

Rebirth of a Landmark

By Jorge Casuso

March 19 -- For most of the 20th century, the Mayfair Theater survived the birth of opulent movie palaces, a string of unsuccessful impresarios and an earthquake that shook the building apart.

Now 14 years after the Northridge earthquake, what will be left of the old structure will become the façade of a new 34-unit apartment building with retail on the ground floor just steps away from the bustling Third Street Promenade.

“The place was trashed by the earthquake,” said Karl Schober, who owns the building. “The guts of the theater collapsed.”..

http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_site ... ndmark.htm

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon May 24, 2010 1:37 pm

Yet another act of foolish fasodomy.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Tue May 25, 2010 7:13 am

Lynxwiler wrote:fasodomy

This could be the most musical made-up word ever seen! Fa a long, long way to run; So a needle pulling thread; Do a deer, a female deer; and My (phonetically me) a name, I call myself.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”