Clearman's Northwoods Inn of Covina

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lynxwiler
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Clearman's Northwoods Inn of Covina

Postby Lynxwiler » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:53 pm

Tonight was my first Northwoods Inn experience and it was wonderful! Everything was fried or greasy or covered in cheese or butter -- my potato was covered in cheese-butter! Even the vegetables were fattening. How have I missed this for so long?

If you have not been, you must go. Sure the exterior is coated in dirty faux snow, but the expansive interior is delightful. Sawdust and peanut shells on the floor were an unexpected novelty as was the piano bar and nudie paintings on every wall.

Vegetarians may have a hard time trying to create a meal at the Northwoods Inn, but at the very least you should stop by for a drink.

I hope the Clearman's restaurants stick around a little longer.

540 North Azusa Ave, Covina

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I think there was some posting on them..

Postby modfan » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:23 am

earlier on here. The Clermans at Huntington and Rosemead is staying but the shopping center around it is coming down.
Their red cabbage salad is great.
Only theirs and the cole slaw from the Woodville Inn (?) in Kansas are the best (none of the drippy KFC stuff!!)

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

er

Postby modfan » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:13 am

Make that the Brookville Inn.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:02 pm

I was recently at the Northwoods Inn on Rosemead, and in the waiting room is a drawing of the Kohl's store that's going to replace Clearman's Village (and uglify Northwoods Inn). The drawing is identified as a "proposed development" that will be completed in late '05. Apparently, the boat near Northwoods will remain.

BTW, another thing a vegetarian can order there is the cobb salad without meat. It's a large serving.

Phillip
Modern Fan

Postby Phillip » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:17 pm

What, no mention of the garlic cheese bread? You can buy a couple of slices for about 40 cents.
And most supermarkets sell the spread.

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:52 am

I heard that the Boat was going to move & that everything else was going. Most of the leasees from the shopping center are already gone, but I think one or two were planning on fighting. My parents live in Arcadia, I'll see what info they have & what the local papers say.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:55 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:57 pm

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:43 am

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:06 am

Chris Merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby Chris Merritt » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:48 pm

I just went over there on my lunch break to take some photos - so sad to see the little village in the back basically abandoned....

KevinEP
Modern Master

Update 3/29/05

Postby KevinEP » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:58 pm

It's all still there (for now).

The bartender at The Galley said that the process has become bogged down because the Clearman Village's neighbors were complicating the process by requiring extra street & site landscaping to mitigate the expected property value decrease of living next to a Kohl's.

He also recommended the Steak & Stein in Pico Rivera for the best food in the old Clearman's chain.

Kevin

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”