Richard Neutra - 1955 Kronish house - Beverly Hills

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mies
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Richard Neutra - 1955 Kronish house - Beverly Hills

Postby Mies » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:22 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Here's the Redfin listing:

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Beverly-Hills/ ... me/6822727

No mention of Neutra and indeed it says that it is a "once in a lifetime opportunity"

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:13 am

God I love LA. Where else could you have a $14 million tear-down?

allen
Modern Master

neutra

Postby allen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:15 pm

And it sold for $ 5,800,000 just over 3 months ! ago
Nice turn over if you can get it.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:40 pm

Well, it was foreclosed on for $5,800,000. Meaning that's what the senior lender was into it for. There may have been other loans that were wiped out. I think the $13.9 million is a pie in the sky asking price, sort of what you hope a Saudi prince may pay. As the fine print says at the bottom of a Macy's ad says:
"original or offering prices may not have resulted in sales"

I do wonder about it's other sales history. Redfin does not seem to have that information. Anyone have photos they are willing to scan and post them here? My older Neutra books do not have any.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:42 pm

Barbara Lamprecht
reports that a demolition permit has just been granted for this property.
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Beverly-Hills/ ... me/6822727

classic form

Postby classic form » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:51 am

I am so sick and tired of all the #@$* idiots in this world I could spit.

classic form

Postby classic form » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:52 am

That's not what I wrote. What I wrote was "all the *BLEEP* idiots"

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Hey classic form. sorry, but swearing is not allowed on the forum which is why the software automatically edited your post.

although i feel your pain and agree they are #@$* idiots.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:32 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:06 am

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:01 pm

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:23 pm

The National Trust for Historic Preservation is requesting that folks send a message to the Beverly Hills mayor & city council. The direct link I have for that seems to go to a secure page with my information on it......So here is the conservancy page that has the city council's email:

http://laconservancy.org/issues/issues_ ... .php4#help

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:16 am

I used to drive through Beverly Hills on the way to work five days a week, to me, "allure" and "Beverly Hills" simply don't exist on the same page. While there's still some great architecture there much of BH is full of some pretty horrible "architecture" and remodels of questionable quality, at the risk of sounding snobbish it seems more like a dumping ground for nouveau riche lottery winners rather than first choice of anybody w/taste. To paraphrase a line from Goodfellas, whoever sold some of those houses must've had a wonderful sense of humor.

SFG
Modern Socialite

Postby SFG » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:03 pm

If you are interested in this topic and other LA Conservancy ModCom issues, please be sure to follow our Facebook page and join our mailing list for the latest updates. If you missed our posts last week, we were asking volunteers to write to the Mayor and City Council of Beverly Hills about the Kronish House. Please continue reading for an update and details about tomorrow's City Council meeting:

From LA Conservancy Action Alert e-mail -- A huge thank-you to everyone who wrote, e-mailed, called, or tweeted the City! As of today, the Conservancy had received copies of more than 320 e-mails to the City of Beverly Hills supporting the preservation of Richard Neutra's Kronish House. Your voice is making a crucial difference!

Late last week the issue was placed on the agenda of the next City Council meeting for discussion, to be held Tuesday night, August 2.

We are urging the Mayor and the City Council to do whatever they can to prevent or at least delay the demolition until other options can be adequately considered, including finding another buyer or, as a last resort, relocation.

Tomorrow’s City Council meeting starts at 7:00 pm in the Council Chambers at City Hall, 455 N. Rexford Drive, Beverly Hills. The Kronish House is the fifth item on the agenda. You can find the agenda here (http://beverlyhills.granicus.com/Genera ... ent_id=276). Parking is available in the garage across the street.

The Conservancy will be there, and a Neutra scholar, but we need a strong turnout of people to demonstrate the strong support for saving the only remaining intact example of Neutra’s work in Beverly Hills.

If you live or work in Beverly Hills, you are especially encouraged to attend and speak (1 to 3 minutes only) as your voice will carry weight with the Mayor and City Council members and more likely push them to act. Please ask your neighbors and friends to do the same.

SFG
Modern Socialite

Postby SFG » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:20 am

rudy1231
Modern Groupie

Facebook page for Kronish house

Postby rudy1231 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Fall is just around the corner and a group oif friends have started this grass roots Facebook page if you'd like to join:

mailto:Kronish@groups.facebook.com

SFG
Modern Socialite

Postby SFG » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:48 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Now the institute of failure through hare brained schemes? I was so disheartened when Dion's efforts shifted to this. There is no way Beverly Hills will allow a museum in a residential area. In fact, there is a Neutra space in Southern California, the VDL house, that they cannot raise enough money to maintain. Kronish needs a wealthy homeowner who can buy it for something closer to it's real current value (nowhere near 14 million) and restore. Hopefully the rubes who bought it out of foreclosure now realize what they have.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:51 am

KPCC

AirTalk for August 9, 2011

Reprieve for historic Beverly Hills home, but what’s next in the debate over property rights vs. preservation?

http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk/20 ... mment-list

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:12 am

Please vote for the Kronish House in this Wall Street Journal poll:

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... _WEEK.html

Thanks!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:35 pm

As an aside, boys and girls, there are photos included in the WSJ slideshow I have not seen before.

SFG
Modern Socialite

Postby SFG » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:14 am

It's the last day to sign the petition to save the Kronish House
www.neutra.org

modernmecca
Modern Socialite

Postby modernmecca » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:11 pm

The Kronish house sold today for $12,800,000. The buyers plan to restore the home.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/reale ... vrit=83598
Claudia Andrade-Desbiens
http://www.ModernMecca.com
Home Staging • Model Homes • Interior Branding
Los Angeles • Orange County • Palm Springs
http://twitter.com/ModernMecca
http://facebook.com/ModernMecca

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”