Hello (in the RIGHT place this time!)

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mrs Carnaby
Modern Groupie

Hello (in the RIGHT place this time!)

Postby Mrs Carnaby » Wed May 19, 2004 4:36 am

HA! I KNEW I'd post my first message in the totally wrong section (see below!) so - for etiquettes sake - here's what I posted in the wrong section: it should have been posted here. This is typical dizzy blonde conduct and just...well...typical of ME, basically.

BONJOUR, EVERYONE!

I'm probably posting this in the wrong folder or something (whenever I join an online forum, I usually get in trouble within the first eight seconds), so if I've faux pas'd, apologies in advance.

Just want to say 'Hello' and to introduce myself as a new member, because I'm tres excited (okay, I'll trop the pseudo French now) to have found this ultra-fab forum. I live in Gay Paree, which is - sadly - more 1760 than 1960, and I have yet to meet anyone over here who knows the French translation for Tiki, Bachelor Pad, Jet-Set and "South American Getwaway" from the soundtrack album of Butch Cassidey and the Sundance kid. This is probably because there ISN'T a translation, and I have had to content myself with trying to kick-start a haven of MidCentury cocktail culture in my own home. It's not going well. The French refuse to drink out of my Tiki mugs, and whenever I put Sergio Mendes on, they replace it with Serge Gainsbourg (which - considering it's Serge Gainsbourg - is obviously okay.)

ANYWAY, I just wanted to say 'hi', and obviously, to send out a 'cri du coeur' to see if there are any others out there like me, stranded in Paris, who want to team up with me and help me bully the French into LIKING GOOD STUFF!

Kisses, and cheers!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed May 19, 2004 11:22 am

bonjour!!!

there actually was a cool ultralounge CD of French songs - that i like to play in my bachelorette pad... here it is on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 2U23/ll-20

maybe you can start to win over your french friends to the swanky life by playing that?
c'est chouette you are here!

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

There are some 'modern' structures in Paris

Postby modfan » Wed May 19, 2004 12:29 pm

That controversial-Pompidou Centre (the Beverly Center in LA is kinda a rip off of that-that staiway) and the Pyramid at the Louvre.
I remember when I was in Paris in the early 70's that's where you'd see the most 'American' stuff-'Le Drugstore Opera', Supermarches, and I even saw the bulletin board advertising Levittown France!
But I guess historically it seems it takes Parisians a while-they didn't much care for the Eiffel Tower when it was built but now I am sure they love their landmark.

And I think some species of hardy palms will grow in the ground there-european fan palm and chinese windmill palm so you get a hint of tiki/tropics look.

I guess you just have to seek it out.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

do a google on paris palms on images

Postby modfan » Wed May 19, 2004 12:42 pm

And you'll find a pic of Disneyland Paris-Adventureland with palms (in the snow!).

Mrs Carnaby
Modern Groupie

Postby Mrs Carnaby » Wed May 19, 2004 10:01 pm

<<c'est chouette you are here!>>
THANKS! And thank you VERY much for the top tip RE: the Ultra-Lounge C.D: I shall definitely check it out (and I think you might be right: some Swank Francais might win over those Johnny Halliday obsessed French!)

Kisses,
Amanda

Mrs Carnaby
Modern Groupie

Re: do a google on paris palms on images

Postby Mrs Carnaby » Wed May 19, 2004 10:11 pm

acon
Modern Groupie

Parisian music

Postby acon » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:57 pm

Just to add a bit to the music Blossom Dearie the wonderful NY cabaret singer pianist spent time in Paris and actually had some hit records I am sure they are available on CD and would work smashingly.

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:13 am

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”