2 Columbus Circle NYC

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

davidk6
Special Secret Modern Agent
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby davidk6 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:21 am

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:37 am

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:48 am

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:32 pm

Right enough. I'm not one of those who feel the need to vaunt the "home team" -- for its cultural uniqueness, at least. I was raised in suburban NYC, then spent twenty years in coastal New England. I admit to "missing" the sharp seasonal contrasts -- while living on a peninsula that somehow has the most temperate climate in its geographic region, if not in the continental US. Many of us here wonder if we could re-acclimate to our "home territories" -- or even to LA! Trapped. . .

"Sun depression," as in too much sun? News to me. We like our foggy summer mornings!

SDR

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:47 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:19 pm

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:32 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:01 pm

Well, I realize I've got it backwards; Florida (after it stops raining, in November?) is for WINTER get-aways.

Last night PBS-TV ran a nice special called "Shore Thing" -- about beach life and attractions, in widely-separated American locales. Recommended -- light but amusing and informative, like a summer non-fiction beach read (if there is such a thing). Watch for it.

I grew up a few blocks from Playland, in Rye (Westchester County). We could see the fireworks on Tuesday and Friday nights from our second-story windows -- but it was more fun to stroll down in the cooling evening and see them properly, or just walk on the boardwalk and maybe have some cotton candy. It was a nicely-kept county-owned relic from the thirties, with stucco Mediterranean-style arcades kept painted in cream, with thirties-style illustrations in the frieze above each of the original rides, maintained faithfully with fresh paint, at least into the early sixties.

There was a pier, and "steamers" arrived and departed, bearing passengers from the more populous regions to the south. The first new ride, added to the original ones, was the "Wild Mouse" -- radically different, with its light-weight steel frame and its up-to-date (ie, jerkier and scarier) motion.

SDR

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:09 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:34 pm

sloanfiske
Modern Socialite

Postby sloanfiske » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:49 am

FLORIDA=HOT JERSEY

complements of my wife...from "the banks of the Old Raritan"

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:11 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon May 19, 2008 2:02 pm

NEW YORK TIMES

Huntington Hartford II, A. & P. Heir, Dies at 97

By DANIEL LEWIS
Published: May 20, 2008
Huntington Hartford II, who inherited a fortune from the A. & P. grocery business and lost most of it chasing his dreams as an entrepreneur and arts patron, died Monday at his home in Lyford Cay, Nassau, in the Bahamas, where he had lived since 2004. He was 97...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/20/arts/ ... =1&_r=1&hp

Marcala
Modern Socialite

Postby Marcala » Mon May 26, 2008 12:53 am

Picture from May 9th. They have a visitor's center across from MOMA.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon May 26, 2008 9:14 am

Let's see: I see and S, an H, an I. . . no T ?

Actually, it could be worse, I suppose. There is evidence of optical play going on, perhaps. And the hues are inoffensive. Maybe this recladding could recur every five or ten years, until something really worthy is eventually stumbled upon ?

Thanks for the recent picture !

SDR

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Tue May 27, 2008 11:58 am

To be honest, if that was some brand new building, I would actually be fairly impressed, especially considering the drech that is built these days. But considering what they destroyed, its horrid.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:55 pm

Not to bring up a sad story again...
But for educational purposes these videos are of interest.

i think about 5 or six videos in total...10 minutes.
I was in this beauty about 5 or 6 years ago. maybe 10.
My crew hated it, though i loved it. I was honored, inspired.
(all my projects blend together and i can't keep tract of them)

I've resigned to accept it, sort of...uuugh.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008 ... 0&emc=eta3

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:59 pm

just watched it again. Oh it hurts.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:06 pm

Don't know whether the result is 'thirties, 'seventies or 'nineties -- but it Ugh-ly !

Anybody ever visit the building in the old days ? Now I wish I had. We were more a MoMA-and-Whitney family, I'm afraid.

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:32 pm

A few or maybe ten years ago. When the city was in control. It was sweet.
But a bit trashed, like many NY abandoned buildings...odd that it felt
abandoned. I had that moment i like in NYC, to be in a building alone...

I did feel like the only one smiling.

Nice to know that others feel the same.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:45 pm

I hadn't been aware of the varying interior levels. Was the circulation as bad as claimed ? Sounded (potentially) nice to me. . .

SDR

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”