Plain slab doors

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

texasdago
Modern Master

Plain slab doors

Postby texasdago » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:03 am

Why oh why is it so hard to find plain slab doors? No leaded glass, no panels, no details, no nothing. Wood - solid - slab. That's it!?

Any ideas? I'm in TX.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:47 am

Good morning, this is the sort of post that should be in the midcentury modern homes area. But over at Wright Chat, there was a link to this company:

http://www.door.cc/Flush-Doors.html

that makes (and stocks some models) of flush doors. You don't say where you need this door (entry, interior) but it sounds like entry. If that is the case, it would be worth it to special order a stave core door. That is one with blocks of solid wood instead of particle board making up the core. Most slab doors are used in the interior of commercial buildings. The solid core is required there for fire ratings. But the particle board can be a poor choice for a front door of a house that is subject to moisture. In any case, you will need to order a door probably, either from a company like the one I linked or from a local lumber yard. Home Depot & Lowes are just not going to have anything in stock and may not be the best place to custom order anything. The exception may be a store near a major downtown commercial core. They may cater to office building remodelers.

I have a similar predicament in that I want to replace the original painted hollow core interior doors in my house with birch solid ones. Years ago I did this for a client and was able to look through a stack of doors at a lumber yard. Now that lumber yard is closed and I will have to order them and take the veneer face they send me instead of selecting it......

texasdago
Modern Master

Postby texasdago » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:51 am

My mistake... sorry... well, I am preserving my 1959 ranch. Does that help? OK... maybe not.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:13 am

It's not that important, you just get more eyeballs on nuts and bolts MCM use and care in that forum. Internet forums are like libraries in that folks come later and do searches so having things organized is helpful. In fact, you can do a search here yourself to read old threads about the kind of doors you are interested in. Just be sure to use several search terms. If you just enter slab doors you may get 40 pages of threads. The doors you seek are also called flush face, veneer face, masonite if they are going to be painted.

Is it an exterior door you are wanting to replace?

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”