Situation getting critical in Wildwood, NJ

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

MODCEPHALIC
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby MODCEPHALIC » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:04 pm

I can see by all these posts on Wildwood no one had a clue as to the scope of the destruction happening and to come. You're all too busy with wishful thinking instead of municipal action. Those on this forum from the west coast seem far more familiar and professional with how to go about saving something since you've been at it for a while and are far more hip to your surrounding heritage. A few replies to what I've read here:
_The Wildwood Diner is being stripped as I write this. According to nearby residents (we used to live down the street) last week the interior was picked over, now they have taken off many of the stainless exterior panels and other identifiable ornamentation. We heard many times this was to be moved to another lot (where?) and was saved by the local preservationists, whomever they are. We asked the "owner" about this when we were down last spring, and he gave us this sardonic laugh (read: mind your own misinformed business). The adjacent house where he lived was just emptied and boarded up, it looks ready to be demolished. I mean, is this diner going to be allowed to be trashed early some morning without a hint of care from anybody!? Or is it saved? Where is the press? Seems no one wants them to find out.
The "Save the Satellite" movement of last year just made things worse. It was 5 years too late. Do you really think the developer or politicians at that point receiving postcards cared about saving anything? And then you tell them how to "rebuild it according to DooWop guidelines"? Say what? Who's going to spend money to do that? Its not practical anymore unless you're Disney. Nobody showed up to save anything from the Satellite except for that guy that saves the signs that had his shop in the museum you mentioned. Told us it was hectic trying to get Satellite sign and he had to pay for it, and the owner let everything inside get demolished since "no preservationists showed up after all the complaining they did." The great Satellite lobby disppeared less than 24 hrs. after settlement.
And its all steamrolled from there.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby nichols » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:19 pm

Some of the salvaged signs and building parts have been resurrected in a new museum in Wildwood. What a sad and awful situation. I'm glad I was able to visit with the SCA when it was mostly intact.
http://www.doowopusa.org/museum/theidea.html

synthsis
Modern Groupie

Postby synthsis » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:19 pm

We actually got married in that museum, we were the first, back at the end of October. Here's a quick pic from the day.

I think there are some more up on our wed-site www.nikkiandjoeygetmarried.com

As far as the DooWop preservation League goes, we couldn't have asked for a nicer group of people to help us make our wedding day special. I'd love to get my hands on one of the neon signs for my house.
I'm unemployed, follow my shenanigans here:
newfoundfreetime.blogspot.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”