1965 William Pereira LACMA buildings endangered

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

1965 William Pereira LACMA buildings endangered

Postby babyblue65bird » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:09 pm

LACMA wants to tear down their MCM buildings.

WTF?

Didn't they just have a high profile exhibit called "California Design 1930-1965, Living In A Modern Way"?

It's unconscionable. Maybe they should just leave all the paintings and sculptures and stuff in the buildings when they bulldoze them. After all, they're old need special attention and anyways we can just go get some new paintings by new artists when the new buildings go up.

There's a FB group that opposes this travesty:
https://www.facebook.com/SaveAndRestore ... ion=stream
Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

Bacon
Modern Groupie

Postby Bacon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:38 am

I agree. While we are at it, let's tear down the additions, too. LACMA was destroyed long ago, so we might just as well be done with it, and start over.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Bacon. That response is not appropriate for an architectural preservation forum.

Please actually review the facebook page and KNOW what you are talking about before you post a knee-jerk uninformed post.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Bacon
Modern Groupie

Postby Bacon » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:06 am

My point is I believe that Pereira's concept has been so destroyed by building additions, elimination of the reflecting pool, etc., it is not realistic to believe the complex would be faithfully restored, so it is more humane to put it out of its misery and move on. However, this is not to in any way endorse the proposed expansion, which I agree is unconscionable.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:38 pm

Please note that this is an "architectural preservation" forum. While the reflecting pools are gone, Pereira's buildings themselves are almost 100% intact and as beautiful as ever.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”