Du-par's at the Farmers Market is to be remodeled.

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bluecherub
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Du-par's at the Farmers Market is to be remodeled.

Postby bluecherub » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:27 am

I just heard an announcement on KTLA today that the Naylor family bought the three Dupars including the 3rd street Farmers Market one and intend to remodel them. Can anybody approach them on how important it is to keep their integrity and to preserve the vintage look ?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:10 pm

We've been talking with the Kaufman family for months. We sent a letter and I think they're almost done with the sort of minimal work they were doing. They changed out the formica and upholstery and the flooring. I think the light fixtures were going to go as well. They were old (and damaged) but not original. I think what's done is done -- except for an outdoor patio that cuts into the exterior wall. I'm glad the Tiny Naylor family is back in the restaurant business after selling their last store in Long Beach last year.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

There is a story the current LA Times on Dupar's

Postby modfan » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:10 pm

Seems that 95% is staying the way it is after Naylors buy it-I dunno if any of the structures are distinctively 'Googie' but at least it doesn't seem to be suffering the fate of a 'Ship's'.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:57 am

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:52 pm

I peeked in a week ago and the dining rooms were still intact, but it appeared that the kitchen between Starbucks and Du-par's was being gutted. There was a truck on site and several workmen carrying away huge pieces of metal. I think that kitchen was specifically for baking and was seperated from the restaurant by a public walkway.

Just a guess, but do you think that Naylor will give up the lease on that corner space under the Farmers Market clocktower and rent it out to another possible tenant?

tikihula
Modern Socialite

Farmers Market

Postby tikihula » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:39 pm

davidk6
Special Secret Modern Agent
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Re: There is a story the current LA Times on Dupar's

Postby davidk6 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:58 pm

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:40 pm

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:52 pm

I assume by the brand new sign that Du-par's is getting closer to reopening. So what happened to the old sign? It went to Dumpsterland.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:40 am

Maybe it's my poor memory, but this sign appears almost identical to the one that was there before. Are you sure it's not just an extensive rehab? Our glorious leader has been in constant communication with Mr. Naylor about the significance of the FM Du-Par's...

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:55 pm

It's a brand new sign. The cans, the plastic and frame all appear to be brand new. There's not a spec of age or weathering anywhere on the sign.

And wasn't the old plastic facing a shade of orange?

Does somebody have an older pic so we can compare?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:36 pm

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:27 am

The apostrophe and hyphen are attached differently. Also, the word "restaurant" is a different font than before—note the Rs.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:17 am

Ellen Bloom visits the newly reopened Du-Par's
http://laismybeat-restaurants.blogspot. ... arket.html

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:03 pm

Deco Lover
Modern Fan

Dupar's

Postby Deco Lover » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:28 pm

Glad to see that Dupar's has re-opened after being closed for such
a long time. Was concerned that this landmark restaurant was
destined for the history books.

Been awhile since I was there, and am looking forward to
eating there again. :D

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue May 01, 2007 8:42 pm

Du-Par's montage on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJBv4eLUq-g

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”