Arturo's Mexican Restaurant, Harbor City, CA

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lynxwiler
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Arturo's Mexican Restaurant, Harbor City, CA

Postby Lynxwiler » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:14 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Another Mexican restaurant in the Harbor area

Postby modfan » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:10 am

Dunno if it's still there-Gonzales in San Pedro-don't quite remember where it was in San Pedro (PCH or Anaheim St.?). Dunno much of the style-I just remember the 'photographic' wall covering of sites in Mexico-Aztec masks, pyramids and such-my folks used to go there when they were newlyweds and were surprised that it was still there (by the early 70's). Might be gone now.

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:51 am

Eric's right! Arturo's is awesome! It's probably the closest to an Eichler style restaurant you'll ever see. Totally fun.

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Strictly For The Structure.

Postby Synthetrix » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:21 pm

I live close to Arturo's and although I love the building, the generic Mexican food was not that great and I never went back.
Here is a great 60s postcard of the place.
http://63.249.135.19/synthetrix/apc/86.html
Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

How 'bout the

Postby modfan » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:42 am

El Comedor in Fullerton. It was at the 91 and Harbor Bl. seemed to me it looked similar-dunno if it's still there or if it was demolished to widen the 91 or became another restaurant. Used to pass by on the way to Disneyland.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Re: Strictly For The Structure.

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:19 am

[quote="Synthetrix"]I live close to Arturo's and although I love the building, the generic Mexican food was not that great and I never went back.
Here is a great 60s postcard of the place.
http://63.249.135.19/synthetrix/apc/86.html[/quote]

I thought the food was good, but I understand your point. Like Johnie's Coffee Shop on Wilshire/Fairfax, even though the food was crap, I had to go there occasionally and buy something just to give them a few bucks with the hope they would stay in business. I'll keep going to Arturo's for a bite and margarita just because I want them stay there. God forbid another RiteAid move in. Of course when the end comes for Arturo's, it comes; but at least by frequenting it and other "family run" businesses I feel like I tried.

Here's my short list:
Clifton's Cafeteria
Phillipe's
Cole's
the mom and pop stores at Farmer's Market: Bennet's, Bob's...
Mashti Malone's Ice Cream
Tommy's -- the original stand
Jay's Burgers
Taix
Alegria on Sunset
The House of a Thousand Fabrics
Espresso Mi Cultura
Canter's
Damiano's Pizza

And while in Vegas, I go to The Peppermill.

I'm sure I'm not the only one out there buying horchata from Clifton's and beer from Damiano's in the hopes they'll stay open at least a little longer. If Clifton's ever closes, a small part of me will die with it.

annie
Modern Fan

Postby annie » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:53 pm

I've been telling everyone I know to go to Arturo's. I don't think the food is bad, but its nothing special either. Any disappointment with the food is totally made up for by how beautiful the building is. It's a treasure. I hope it can continue to operate as-is for many more decades.

Pink Poodle
Modern Fan

Postby Pink Poodle » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:40 pm

I live close and when me moved into this area about 3 years ago I noticed it right off the bat. We ate there and I think the tiki's are more like aztec or mayan god statues. Nonetheless the atriums are fab and the architecture is even more fab.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:49 pm

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Postby Synthetrix » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:26 am

Great pics Lynx!
Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten

http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”