La Jolla Russell Forrester home in danger

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
freddiefreelance
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

La Jolla Russell Forrester home in danger

Postby freddiefreelance » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:01 am

I found this on the [url=http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb]Tiki Central[url] website:

"Greetings,

I have been hired to evaluate the historical significance of a 1948 vintage Polynesian style Mid Century Modern house in La Jolla, California. The current owner wishes to demolish the structure. I have evidence it was designed by Russell Forester, who achieved fame as a designer of architecture and art. Do you have any information on Forester Tiki Polynesian architecture?"

And further info:

"Thank you for your guidance. I have been asked to review the evidence and prepare a second opinion. I can tell you house is located at 348 Vista de la Playa, La Jolla, California and the widow of Russell Forester declared this was an early design by Forester in 1947-1948. The style appears to be a beach cottage, rather than a tiki temple. The roof lines, glass windows facing the ocean, board siding, and general appearance hints at what would become the classic 1950-1959 tiki style. Forester studied design in 1950-1951 and became internationally famous for the Meisan style in architecture, paintings, and sculpture. This would become the broad scope of the Tiki Polynesian art form. Although he moved on to pure art in his later years, this house would be one of the earliest surviving examples of architecture from this period of his career. The City
of San Diego will decide the fate of this building."
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”