About to give up

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ePimp
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

About to give up

Postby ePimp » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:11 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:03 pm

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:12 pm

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:25 pm

ePimp
Modern Socialite

Postby ePimp » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:10 pm

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:25 pm

Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

PSMeiselman
Modern Fan

Postby PSMeiselman » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:10 am

I can tell you how to solve this problem: loosen up! Relationships are about compromise, you get some things, she gets some things. You both win.

As far as restoring the house, I don't understand all these redo's where everything is 1920, 1950 or 1960. Imagine if you bought a house now in 2004 and everything was '2004,' the house, the furniture, the landscaping. Everyone would snicker. In my midcentury home, we have everything from 20's rattan to 40's Mexican and contemporary furniture and art. It's a home, not a museum. A couple lives here, not an individual. Sometimes I snicker at his choices, sometimes he smirks at mine but the result is ours.

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Lightening up

Postby scottkaycee » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:01 pm

I tend to agree; it seems so dogmatic to return to one moment in a period that spanned around 40 years. Although I find that my wife reigns me in as far as going too kitsch. We live in a M-C-M that the owners started building in 1961 and finished in 1973, so convieniently we have a range as to what might be acceptable. Modernism was about freedom from the past, and yet to enjoy it today means to esconce yourself in the past. The important thing is to have fun, it shouldnt hurt to live in one of these homes. Of course if living in a museum appeals to you than by all means go for it. I dont mean to advocate chaos, for chaos sake. The important thing is to embrace what you love about the period, and to choose one does not denegrate the other. Viva the purists, without them so many of these beautiful coffee table books would have nothing but period photos, but hey sometimes you want your kitchenette to have a chrome table and chairs. One of my wish list items is a Fiberglass Big Boy Statue in the backyard, wont that go great with the Wasilly chair!

ePimp
Modern Socialite

Postby ePimp » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:31 pm

OK, in hindsight, the thread was supposed to be about the house, not the relationship. While I get the compromise, sharing, togetherness stuff, each relationship is different, and I'm sure no one wants to get into some deep analysis about why I'm right and she's wrong, right? :wink:
Anyway...

I'm more willing to compromise on things like decor. At least puffy 80's furniture or an ornate lamp can be easily removed. Hell, we're even going with some glass blocks in the bathroom after all. That's what a nice guy I am! :)

When someone wants to put in a multi-paneled front door or crown moulding or a decorative half round window or vinyl lap siding or a white-picket fence or a barn-style 2nd story addition etc., I'm sorry, but I gotta draw the line. A purist I'm not - I'm basically open to anything contemporary-looking, 50s modern or otherwise (hence the glass blocks), I just think trying to go Cotwold cottage, colonial, farmhouse, etc. in a MCM (or a 50's modern look in a Tudor, for that matter) with even a minor remodel is tacky.

I do appreciate both perspectives, however. While I'm inspired to keep trying to get my wife to appreciate modern architecture, on the other hand, I don't feel quite as bad about the glass blocks.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”