'nother newbie

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

crosleykook
Modern Groupie

'nother newbie

Postby crosleykook » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:32 am

Hi! I just joined after lurking for a few months.... great site!

I'm a midcentury modern fan from Sacramento. We have a lot of cool modernist office and commercial buildings here, but not a whole lot in the way of homes. One of these days I hope to find just the right house to buy and restore.

Anyway, thanks for being here... and I'd love to hear from other Sacramentans who might be lurking...

tim

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:39 am

Welcome, Tim. It's good to hear from NoCal. Sac-town has a nice selection of Eichlers and Streng homes! What else is happening in Sacramento?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:19 pm

That motel district over the bridge in West Sacramento had some incredible signage. I remember the "DUDE" as one of my favorites... I couldn't find them when I visited last month.. Wha'hoppen? The CASA MOBILE PARK was about 1/10th of it's original size... Sheesh.

crosleykook
Modern Groupie

Postby crosleykook » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:59 pm

The Eichler neighborhood is the greatest. I was there last weekend... one jerk owner is busy installing a peaked roof on one.

The Strengs that I've seen are very cool, but unfortunately most of them are in the heart of the burbs. There are some in nicer locations but the prices on those are way out of my league.

West Sacramento is still a haven for fifties stuff. West Capitol Avenue is full of crazy signs and such... it's just now undergoing a revitalization, but thankfully it's been 'neglected' for decades.

I'm currently researching a mysterious West Sac subdivision of mid fifties homes with a surprisingly modern style. They were built circa '54-55 and have clerestory windows, very low roofs and clean chimney blocks. I haven't been inside one to see the plan or check the build quality though. They're fairly small houses on small lots, and the neighborhood is dilapidated. I'm in the process of trying to find out who the builder was and maybe turn up a little bit more information. The whole place is very odd, since there was very little modern-style living in Sacto in 1954.

anyway, it keeps me busy.

Butt-Face
Modern Socialite

Postby Butt-Face » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:42 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:41 am

crosleycook went to a better place

Butt-Face
Modern Socialite

Postby Butt-Face » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:10 pm

i think I know who he is.

Hes in a local band and lives a few blocks away from my house.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:33 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”