URGENT!!! Valley Music Center Facing the Wrecking Ball

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

URGENT!!! Valley Music Center Facing the Wrecking Ball

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:41 pm

Just in the papers today - daily news business section.

Valley Music Center was sold to Troxler Residential Ventures for 25 million and they plan to bulldoze and put condos on the 8 acre parcel of land.

this site is significant both culturally to the valley as well as architecturally.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:08 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:27 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:52 pm

LOS ANGELES DAILY NEWS

NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH: Developer Buys Last Large Land Tract Left in Los Angeles Neighborhood

By Gregory J. Wilcox
Daily News, Los Angeles

RISMedia, Sept. 24, 2004 (KRT) - A decades-old San Fernando Valley landmark once owned by the late Bob Hope has been sold to a residential development partnership for $25 million, officials said Wednesday.

It's the first time the 8.3-acre parcel, on what is known as Chalk Hill, has changed hands since the Jehovah's Witnesses bought it from Hope in 1974.

The new owners, Troxler Residential Ventures XXVI and D2 Development Inc., plan a multifamily community on the site. The hillside parcel, at 20600 Ventura Blvd., is adjacent to an upscale apartment complex and across the street from a new auto dealership and a housing development for the elderly that is in the midst of construction.
John Battle, a principal at Lee & Associates-LA North/Ventura Inc., who represented both parties, said the deal wraps up the future of a last big chunk of land along the boulevard, a main artery of commerce and entertainment, in the south Valley.

"Ventura Boulevard is pretty much impacted. It's pretty much done," said Battle, whose partner, Craig Stevens, also worked on the deal.

Battle said the listing never hit the market. The church had formed a committee to explore the property's sale, and he heard about it from a client, then matched Troxler/D2 Development with the committee.

"At the time, they were close to going with another buyer, so we jumped in pretty quick and basically gave them what they asked for," Battle said.

Neither a church committee member nor officials at D2 returned calls seeking comment.
But Gordon Murley, vice chairman of the Woodland Hills Warner Center Neighborhood Council and president of the Woodland Hills Homeowners Organization, said the developer indicated that plans call for a condominium project of several hundred units with a commercial component.

Troxler/D2 pulled out of a meeting with neighborhood residents last month, he said.
The two groups are still waiting for a presentation from the developer.

"Our initial take on it was that it is awfully dense, and we're not quite sure how they are going to handle the amount of traffic that's going to be generated," Murley said.

The site was developed in 1958 as the Valley Music Theater in the Round and hosted numerous concerts and stage productions over the years. In the late 1960s, business fell off, in part because the facility's configuration limited the type of plays that could be put on, and the church eventually took it over.

The Jehovah's Witnesses used it for special gatherings of multiple congregations but outgrew the facility.

© 2004, Daily News, Los Angeles. Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:54 pm

The phone is disconnected and the Canoga Park Jehovah's witnesses say that they are already out of the building.

Can someone explain to me what this line means: "...Ventura Boulevard is pretty much impacted. It's pretty much done..."

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:01 pm

Here is what KEVIN RODERICK, author of THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY: AMERICA'S SUBURB

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

has to say about the Valley Music Theater

The theater at 20600 Ventura Boulevard was supposed to be the first local performing arts hall with serious ambitions. Designed as theater in the round, it was built by pouring a concrete dome over a dirt mound, then excavating away the soil. Bob Hope and other local celebrities backed the venture, which opened July 6, 1964, with a gala premiere of The Sound of Music. Such fare never caught on. Rock music was tried and on February 22, 1967, the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield and the Doors put on a memorable show. But it wasn't enough. Boxing came next, but to no avail. In 1980 the theater became a Jehovah's Witness assembly hall.

http://www.americassuburb.com/gone.html

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I remember vaguely

Postby modfan » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:17 am

There was some movie that had a scene with the facility.
I am surprised that it's still there at all-these 'theater in the round' concepts have for the most part gone away-I can see their limitations. The demo'd the one in West Covina by Barranca and I-10 it's just a restaurant row and the Melodyland by Disneyland, I think is a church, unless the property been converted to other uses with the redevelopment of that whole area. I remember as a kid going to both of them and seeing Oklahoma and the King Family.

bluecherub
Modern Master

Postby bluecherub » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:54 am

Is there nothing that can be done to save this structure?

mtwall
Modern Master

Postby mtwall » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:37 pm

Here is a link to some photos I took today of the Valley Music Theater. (Fortunately, no one saw me clawing my way through bushes and shrubs to get a good perspective). You used to be able to see it in full from the 101 between De Soto and Winnetka but now it's mostly obscured by a Miller Nissan dealership and overgrowth on the knoll on which it sits, also known as Chalk Hill.

http://www.valleymodern.com/news/news_a ... icle=12091
Last edited by mtwall on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mtwall
Modern Master

Postby mtwall » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:00 pm

bump

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:21 pm

mtwall, were you trying to get us a modcom meeting at this location?

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

In the pic

Postby modfan » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:08 am

What about the building to the right of the Valley Music Center on the hill. Is it just there for the artist concept, or was it really built (and demo'd).

mtwall
Modern Master

Postby mtwall » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:44 am

The owner/developer is willing to open up the structure for photography and a meeting at the site with at least 2 weeks notice. However, there is no heat in the building (you can see your breath) and we will need to bring additional lighting. There is also the issue of westbound 101 rush hour traffic. It typically takes over an hour to make the drive at that time of day so I am wondering how many people would make the trek? Let me know what you think...

The structures that were ultimately built in 1964 included a large rear dome (Theater in the Round) and a front 1/4 dome foyer area with massive arc of glass for the facade. The domes themselves are covered inside and out with asbestos and cannot be moved without crumbling. But the developer is willing to pay for the dismantling and transport of the massive front arc of glass panels, steel and fittings which could then be re-assembled and incorporated into a new structure.

Pierce College (about a mile away) is considering re-assembling the glass and incorporating it into a gallery or performing arts structure. More on this as it develops. However, if Pierce decides not to use the glass panels, steel and fittings, what about ModCom? It measures about 95' from end to end with beams that are 22 feet at their highest point in the center of the glass arc.

As for the fate of the concrete domes, I do not know whether or not it is too late in the process to save them... :?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:50 pm

Marcala
Modern Socialite

DEMOLISHED - Valley Music Center - Woodland Hills

Postby Marcala » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:01 pm

Drove by this afternoon. Could just see some rubble and the landscaping had all been cleared.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”