LA County Fair extant

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TwinJim
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

LA County Fair extant

Postby TwinJim » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:30 pm

One of my favorite pieces of real estate has vanished.

The big train layout under the grandstands at the LA County Fair is missing. It was there last year if memory serves. Gone; just a suggestion on the polished concrete floor that here once stood a world in minaiture watched over by old timers in overalls and engineer's hats. I checked to see if the Garden train is still in operation. Yes, it lives. The Drive-in Movie theatre and the scale model of Randy's Donuts, the cars and patrons etc. are hanging on I can report.

The Lapidary Arts were asked to take their display cases and vacate the Fair a few years ago. Just clearing out the un-hip which I suspect happened with the indoor train. Perhaps it was moved and I didn't find it's new location today.

Back under the Grandstand Exhibition Hall, I noted the Home Arts and Bake competition offering were on display. Someone has a sheet cake commemorating 9/11. Atop the white frosted terra firma stands NYC's Twin Towers in a chocolate frosting. Leaning and awkward it won no ribbons but had it's heart in the right place.

retrocool
Modern Master

Rumor

Postby retrocool » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:46 pm

The rumor is the owner of the land is slowly trying to run the fair out, because he wants to build a huge shopping center there. As a teacher, I know they moved all of the displays out from under the grand stands to another location. The trains I believe lost their lease. If this is true, it will be a great lose. I can only hope it's not.

Retrocool
Member Downey Historical Society,
President - The Downey Conservancy
Aerospace Legacy Foundation Board Member
President - Downey Museum of Art

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I thought the

Postby modfan » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:05 pm

Land owner was L. A. County or the City Of Pomona... is it some other person or entity?

retrocool
Modern Master

Don't know who it is.

Postby retrocool » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:05 am

I got the idea that it was another owner besides the city, but i'm not sure.
Member Downey Historical Society,

President - The Downey Conservancy

Aerospace Legacy Foundation Board Member

President - Downey Museum of Art

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:19 pm

Several years ago the Madison Marquette Company proposed a major retail center at the LA County Fairgrounds. That deal has been cancelled. The land is owned by the County of Los Angeles and leased to the Fair Association. The fair is here to stay.

"The L.A. County Fair Association is a 501(c)(5) non-profit mutual benefit organization. The Fair Association manages and produces the L. A. County Fair. The Association is self-supporting and does not fall under the auspices of any county or state governmental body. The Association consists of 50 members, including an 11-member board of directors. Directors are elected annually by and from the Association. Officers, management and staff are employed by the Fair Association. The Association has a long-term lease with the County of Los Angeles for use of the grounds. Surplus revenues generated by the Fair and other activities are re-invested into the maintenance and development of the facility. "

http://www.fairplex.com/fp/AboutUs/index.asp

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:31 pm

In addition to finding the scale model train layout missing in the Grandstand Exhibition Hall, I was also chagrin to note students art pieces absent, in particular the architectural scale models. Again, they could have been stashed elsewhere. The kids California Missions on display were always a stop for me. Innovative uses of household materials a delight.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”