Blue Chip Stamp Redemption Centers

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sumu
Modern Master

Blue Chip Stamp Redemption Centers

Postby sumu » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:09 am

Who remembers getting stamps w/ all your drug and grocery store purchases?? Sitting for hours on a Sunday afternoon w/ a wet sponge, pasting stamps in the Blue Chip Stamp booklets? And then picking out household items and toys at the redemption center? My mom still has the same bathroom trashcan and hamper (in glorious pink vinyl and a brass starburst) purchased w/ those stamps. Sounds very Brady.

Did anyone else get free bookcovers from Vons in the 60's?? We would cover all our school books w/ these - they complemented the manilla yellow PeeChee folders....

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

I remember Blue Chip

Postby modfan » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:51 am

and S & H Green Stamps and the less popular Gold Bond (?) stamps.
And speaking of Brady-there was that episode where the kids dig up all the trading stamps and then it was the boys vs. the girls on what to get-and the all end up using the combined boys and girls stash of trading stamps to get a new TV, if I remember correctly. Were you able to get a TV at the redemption center? I dunno if the items you could get were that 'fancy'. And I remember there was an S & H Redemption Center in the basement level of that defunct dept. store Nash's in Pomona Valley Center.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:43 am

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:30 pm

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:09 pm

Clothes hampers, Ironing board covers and hassak footstools, one of each ever year from the Blue chip stamp store at Topanga and Vanowen, I hated licking those stamps! and then we would never get the cool things from the catalog...remember you would "order" your things and they would send them up from the back on rollers?

Starburst
Modern Groupie

Blue Chip Stamps

Postby Starburst » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:34 am

Oh yah I remember my mom getting a clothes hamper with those! We collected S & H green stamps too!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”