Anyone from Orange?

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Starburst
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Anyone from Orange?

Postby Starburst » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:52 pm

Hi I'm a brand new member born and raised in Orange County. Would like to connect with other members who live in, are from or know the town of Orange. I am interested in chatting about Orange memories of the 1960's and changes since. Glad to have found this board!

hanna1
Modern Fan

Orange

Postby hanna1 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:06 pm

Hi Starburst, I was raised In Orange County since 1960 and spent a lot of time in Orange, my last business was in Old Town Tustin, We moved 3 years ago to northern Cali, Welcome, this is a great site, enjoy! :D
Yours in the Garden

Starburst
Modern Groupie

Orange

Postby Starburst » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:54 am

vicechair
Modern Groupie

Orange

Postby vicechair » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:35 pm

The 1960's would have been a little before my time (of being conceived even), but I am of Orange County as well. Anaheim was my place. I believe that that Marie Callenders was the first, and their decor was so great as it tapped into the 1970's meets the late 19th and early twentieth century. My grandfather went to other Marie Callenders' daily. I did see most of my early childhood movies (Star Wars, Smokey and the Bandit, etc) at the Orange Six. Then of course there were the Cinemadomes off the 57. Did you ever go to Eisenhower Park off Lincoln and Tustin? Not one but two playgrounds with rockets, etc and that duck pond. My family also went to the Swap Meet at the Orange Drive in off Chapman and the 5. Robert Schuller, the Minister at the Crystal Cathedral, got his start preaching from the roof of that snack bar to people in their cars. Later on I sang with the Crystal Cathedral childrens choirs for two years but that is another story.

Daniel Paul,
Vice-Chair Emeritus,
Modern Committee

hanna1
Modern Fan

Orange and Anaheim

Postby hanna1 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:21 pm

Funny, my family moved from Europe to Anaheim in 1960, I graduated from Anaheim High School!
I went to disneyland this summer, and was very disapointed that the Tiki Room was closed, I so wanted my grandkids to see the show! A great time was had by all, the haunted mansion was closed as well as the Castle, sigh, so many memories, used to go there with my A,B,C,D,E tickets, would use the good ones, give the leftovers to my younger sister, lol, I ended up working there in 1966, We would get entrance tickets for free to give to guest, a few years ago my Father presented me with the tickets I had given them, funny how time goes by so quickly!!
Marie Callendars is NOT what it used to be, sad, it was one of my favorites in the 70's, yes great menu, I loved Judys growing up, great clothes, Honer Plaza was fun, and Yardley makeup, funny!!!!
Orange six and Cinemadomes, yes, did all that also, the playground was great fun! Loved feeding the ducks. Actually I miss all the Drive-in Theaters, always checking speakers first to make sure they didn't creek, and the guards would always walk around making sure Teens were'nt kissing and stuff, knocking on your window, lol, good old days, do you remember the UTotem stores, I would walk a few blocks to go get candy and a coke, and on Lincoln I believe right by the High School, was a pharmacy with a fountain drink counter, great syrupy cherry Cokes.
I could'nt believe it when the Cathedral went up, you could see it from everywhere, in my days you could walk everywhere in the evenings and feel so safe, I don't feel that anymore in Anaheim, sad!
Yours in the Garden

Starburst
Modern Groupie

Orange memories

Postby Starburst » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:48 pm

OMG yes I remember the Cinemadomes and I used to go to the big swap meet at the Orange County Fairgrounds, but not the at the Orange drive-in. I do remember the drive in very well tho! Do anyof you ladies remember Mode O' Day Dress Shop at the Orange Circle? I remember buying Twiggy fashions there! They had to barely cover my butt and always had a matching bag with chain strap. The Cornet Five and Dime on the Circle was also a favorite of mine-they had fish and turtles plus lots of cheap junk you could spend allowance on.
I was raised in a new (at that time) development near Tustin & Collins in Orange. I LOVED walking around in the neighborhood at night. It was so peaceful and everyone had their yards fixed up so pretty with flowers and colored yard lights. Back in the 60's and 70's you didn't have to worry about anyone bothering you in that neighborhood. I have heard its gotten pretty bad now, kind of run down and bad element has moved in.
My dad worked as a security guard at Disneyland when I was pre-teen. My mother didn't work so we went to Disneyland for free almost every day on the summer. My mother would leave us at a ride and we would ride it over and over while she met my dad for lunch. My favorite ride was the Teacups. I am sorry to hear the Haunted Mansion is gone! I thought is was very cool! Darn!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:56 am

Starburst
Modern Groupie

Orange

Postby Starburst » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:04 pm

Oh yeah back in 1960 alot more was possible. I often feel I should have been an adult during the 50's and 60's-would love to have experienced young adult hood then!

allen
Modern Master

cornet

Postby allen » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:50 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”