Abandoned Denny's and its nice old sign

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Velas
Modern Master

Abandoned Denny's and its nice old sign

Postby Velas » Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:21 am

Driving on the 101, a little bit past calabasas I think, I noticed an abandoned Dennys which has been all boareded up, but also its beautiful old sign is just sitting there. This is one of the old ones with the spike and a round ball on top with several little lights on it and the traditional, but rarely seen, Dennys chevron shape and the old Dennys font.

I also noticed that the Dennys on Sunset (where I went on my prom nite in HS) near Guitar Center? is boarded up, but this one doesn't have the pretty pretty sign.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:20 am

boarded up!!!!

oh no... this was one of the last remaining original neon Denny's signs - before the corporate browning - I spoke with the manager there years ago inquiring about this sign when the 50s Diner remuddles happened. The sign was able to remain intact because it was much higher (vertically) than later zoning restrictions allowed. The company did not want to lower the sign, hassle with the city and lose potential customers off the freeway, so I think were able to get a special agreement from corporate to keep the old sign.

call MONA!!!

Chris Merritt
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Chris Merritt » Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:54 pm

Oh man - every time I've driven by there, I have meant to stop & take a picture.... Has that location been documented?

On a side note - God, I have those new Denny's "Diner"s - they are just like the "retro" diner in Ghost World....

Phillip
Modern Fan

Postby Phillip » Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:13 pm

I drove by today.
All (including the sign) is rubble.

Chris Merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby Chris Merritt » Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:01 pm

That's very sad... I really wish I had taken pictures...

allen
Modern Master

Postby allen » Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:18 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:51 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:29 am

allen
Modern Master

Postby allen » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:25 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”