Neutra (Bailey House) in Trouble?!

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

grh122
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby grh122 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:12 pm

So what ever happened with this? Has anyone seen it finished? I haven't been to L.A. in a few months, and it has been a while since I have been to see the houses on Chautauqua. I am very fond of the work that I have seen Leo Marmol and Ron Radziner do, even the work on the Neutra Brown house, which some are not too fond of, so this old thread was of particular interest to me.

Also, there is an upcoming episode of a show called Breathing Room on Fine Living, which I think might be featuring Bailey.

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/breathin ... 68,00.html[/i]

grh122
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby grh122 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:51 am

anyone?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:20 am

I was forgetting; are Marmol and Radziner doing the Bailey house restovation ? Better they than many another, no ?

Time will tell (assuming there's any post-reno coverage).

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:26 pm

The garden of the Nesbitt house was in the LA Times today...

Richard Neutra's vision -- with a tropical touch
The Nesbitt house's garden isn't the Japanese oasis that was originally planned, but it captures the Neutra spirit.
By Ellen Hoffs, Special to The Times
April 17, 2008
WHEN Richard Neutra designed the redwood and brick Nesbitt house in Los Angeles in 1942, he envisioned a tranquil Japanese front garden, anchored by a pine bonsai surrounded by spreading junipers and Pittosporum tobira. A California pepper tree, one of six on the site, would stand next to seven ponds. A row of pines was to line the parkway, according to plans in the Neutra archives at UCLA.

Today there are no pepper trees, bonsai or that pittosporum. The 30 hibiscuses and 24 nandina sketched for the backyard have disappeared. Only a lawn, smaller than originally planned, remains of Neutra's vision.

Photo Gallery
Nesbitt tropical oasis

Gardens -- even those with the imprint of a great architect -- change over time. Plants become fashionable, then fall out of style. Or they die and get replaced. The park-like grounds at the Nesbitt house are no different: radically changed from Neutra's original plan but perhaps no less effective.

Strolling more than half an acre, visitors feel as though they have stepped back to a time when Los Angeles gardens were unashamedly lush. Late spring through summer, the landscape is saturated with the fragrance of Madagascar jasmine vine, its leaves twining through a fence and winding around 5-foot-tall pyramid-shaped wooden tuteurs. The perfume shifts at an espalier of the glossy-leafed Osmanthus fragrans, or sweet olive. At night the huge yellow flowers of the Hawaiian cup of gold vine broadcast their scent too.

"Although a client invites an architect or garden designer into his or her life to do the garden for them, they are giving up some of their personal power and initiative," says Pasadena landscape architect Thomas Batcheller Cox, who designed the Nesbitt garden for Pippa Scott, an actress and film producer....

http://www.latimes.com/features/home/la ... 4067.story

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:10 pm

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:26 am

Doesn't seem likely that someone would want to move the Bailey house from the Pacific Palisades to Highland Park.
Hasn't anyone been by this site lately?

As for the Nesbitt, untrained designer Barbara Barry did a complete makeover of this house and just ruined the interior. Her biggest complaint was how rustic the house was. Well, duh, it's a brick and wood house! Before you view the article, here are some choice quotes concerning her efforts,

"We washed every vertical plane in the living room in sage green"
"Much of the original brick in the study was plastered over"
"I thought it was too rustic in this setting"
"The old master bedroom became the bath"
"brought in architect David Serrurier to add a new master bedroom at one end and two guest bedrooms at the oother"

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:30 am

Pal George, You are probably thinking of Neutra's Maxwell house. It is currently in Brentwood and a move is planned to Angelino Heights, near Echo Park. Here's some info:
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1094

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Oy! Why do this to a wonderful Neutra house... so sad. I like Barbara Barry in general, but this sort of thing is shockingly bad.

Just buy an anonymous house and have at it, leave these houses alone.
Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Nesbitt Garden

Postby Josquin » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:01 pm

The Neutra landscape design was far more sensitive to the site than this current landscaping job.

When water usage is such a concern, is tropical landscaping responsible?

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:52 pm

Oops, yes I did mix up my Neutra's, I look forward to seeing the results of the Maxwell house relocation.

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:04 am

Well I rather like the changes featured, (with exception of the fireplace which a decade later appears dated) , the wood has been washed with a translucent stain something Schindler did regularly, it's still intact just lightened, doesn't seem that egregious. Barbara has a measured approach evident here and it comes across to me as sensitive restoration vs. a slavish restoration to a period in time that is not what the owner cared to live in.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”