Schindler

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Schindler

Postby nichols » Wed May 04, 2005 10:06 am

I saw an obit yesterday (Monday?) for an ERIC SCHINDLER in the LA Times. It was a paid obit, not an editorial one. He was 51 and lived in La Jolla, but his service will be at the Schindler house/MAK Center on Kings Road and they ask for donations to the house... I wonder if he is a relative of RM Schindler....

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed May 04, 2005 1:19 pm

The Schindlers' only child, Mark, was born in 1921 or '22 -- McCoy says only that RMS and Clyde Chase did part of the work on the house -- begun in 1921 -- themselves, "so that the Schindlers could move in before the birth of their son." The house is usually dated 1922. No word has been said of his adulthood, or of anything about him, as far as I know. If he had had a child sometime in 1953 or '54, that child would be 51 now. So, Eric Schindler could be a child of Mark and an unknown (to us) wife. . .?

The obit said nothing of his parentage?

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Here's more info. (via Google)

Postby modfan » Wed May 04, 2005 3:01 pm

Died April 26, 2005 in La Jolla, CA of septicemia. Eric was 51. Surviving are wife Donna, sister Margot (Philip) Ehrens, brother Ian (Isabelle), his parents, Mark and Mary, nieces, Julia and Emily, and nephew Guillaume. We will celebrate his life on Sunday, May 1 at 2 PM at the "Schindler House," 835 N. Kings Road, West Hollywood, 90069. In lieu of flowers, please make donations towards the Endowment Fund at the Schindler House. Donations should be addressed: Friends of the Schindler House, c/o Bob Sweeney at the above address. Eric was a kind and generous man, who also happened to be brilliant. By his death our lives are diminished.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed May 04, 2005 3:10 pm

Okay -- Mark Schindler's son, and RM Schindler's grandson. Wonder what Mark and Eric did with their lives? Bob Sweeney would be Robert L Sweeney, architectural historian, author of "Wright in Hollywood," and long associated with the Kings Road House and its well-being, among other pursuits.

Thanks, modfan.

SDR

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Wed May 04, 2005 4:11 pm

We owe this family a great debt. By selling the Schindler House at the low end of the market to FOSH (Friends of Schindler House) in the early 80s, we have all been able to experience and enjoy this landmark of modern residential architecture in Southern California.

With the subsequent re-zoning of Kings Road for multi-density housing the property on which this house sits is now worth millions. Witness the neighboring single family house being demolished and replaced by a 3-story, 18 unit condominium.

http://www.makcenter.com/tribute.html
Last edited by ch on Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed May 04, 2005 5:03 pm

I suppose it's some kind of miracle that this property wasn't destroyed long ago. Obviously Pauline can be credited with its survival to 1977, and the the FOSH thereafter.

Several years ago I was shown literature which documented some of the interesting persons who shared the house with, or rented from, Mrs Schindler -- "dear Madam," as she was addressed by RMS, after their separation.

I don't know where that information can be found.

SDR

ch

Postby ch » Thu May 05, 2005 4:12 am

Let me know if your memory is recovered SDR - sounds interesting. I know Robert Sweeney has done a great deal of research on the social aspects of life at Kings Road. For an interesting account of the inhabitants in the 1920s-1930s see the section, "Life at Kings Road: As it Was" in the book from the MOCA exhibit "The Architecture of R.M. Schindler".

One of my favorite shots of the guest studio shows a well-stocked bar. Oh to have been a fly on the wall at one of those 1920s Hollywood parties filled with radicals, artists and other types!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu May 05, 2005 8:18 am

That could have been it, actually, as the person who showed it to me was a MAK Center member. Of course there's the mysterious Galka Scheyer -- but I seem to remember a male actor or Hollywood personality of some stripe. . .RMS asked Pauline not to paint everything white, and stated his wish to have his quarters remain as he left them, but they were painted as well, according to McCoy.

James Steele makes several misstatements in his text for the Taschen book: he reverses the correct locations of the Schindler/Chase apartments (though they are clearly initialled on the plans); he refers to Schindler's use of a plate-line/dado at 8 feet above the floor (in his later frame houses) when the correct figure is closer to 6' 8" -- door height. He even takes the trouble to explicitly reverse the dates of Mies van der Rohe's seminal Tugendhat and Barcelona structures!

However, there are two interesting illustrations: a Julius Shulman color photo (credited as such, though it is uncharacteristically soft in focus) of the back of the house (Schindler's quarters) with the lights blazing in the two spaces, obviously in use as offices, with a silhouetted figure -- RMS? -- in the fully-enclosed sleeping basket above. The other interesting inclusion is a pair of plans of the house -- "Residence for Hollywood, California" dated Nov, 1921, with the RMS square logo. They appear to be in black and red pencil. The rooms in the main floor plan are labelled (SW to NE) "RMS Bedroom"; SPG Bedroom"; "Dining R'm"; and Living Room"! The other plan of the pair is a plan section taken above the lowest roof level; in this, the four spaces are labelled as expected: RMS; SPG; MC; and CC. Very odd. . .

SDR

SDR

ch

Postby ch » Sun May 08, 2005 11:15 am

The zoning in what has since become West Hollywood at the time of the construction of the Schindler house didn't allow for two-family homes (amazing how that has changed!) - thus the idea of the two couples sharing a single kitchen between their individual living spaces. Also in Schindler's mind was the ability to turn the communal house into a single family, more conventional home in the event a resale was required. The plans which indicate living room, dining room, etc. are probably those sent to the building department for approval as a single-family dwelling.

Mighty cleaver boy, our R.M.S.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun May 08, 2005 11:43 am

Aha -- well, okaay. . .hope I didn't give away the secret. We wouldn't want the authorities hauling the descendants away to the pokey for the "sins of the fathers"!

Anyway, my earlier question, about where RMS slept when his rooms were in use as his office, is answered by the shot of the "sleeping basket," apparently in use. We read in McCoy that the kitchen was shut off as part of Pauline's apartment, when they shared the house separately. We also read that he was in the habit of taking breakfast at a restaurant or coffee shop; was ANY cooking done on his side of the wall during his later years?

I envy you your time in the house. Did you ever sleep there? Waking in a house, experiencing it at all hours, would provide the ultimate familiarity. . .

SDR

Mark
Modern Groupie

Schindler

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:09 pm

Eric was my first son, Ian and Margot also came from 27 years with Mary. Eric added some biography on www.Fishscreen.com and the space program was interesting from Ranger to Shuttle.
Now the Bush Administration keeps me busy with emails. Complementary medicine makes my oncologist grunt and another 6 months.

On the 16th the Cultural Heretige Board has it's last hearing on the destruction of the first slab cast house my father tried, the Purviance. It shows much Frank Lloyd Wright influence before RMS found his own styles. It is probably one of three built in the world.
Mark
Modern? Lived it.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:22 pm

Thanks for this note, Mark. My condolences on the loss of your son.

Please know that your father is held in ever higher regard, all these years later. His work and words are a personal inspiration to me.

I cannot find other reference to the Purviance. Where is it located ?

I wish you well in your struggle with the elements.

With sincere regards,

Stephen Ritchings

ch

Postby ch » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:07 am

Hopefully Mark can add more but this is what I have found. It's fascinating to me as I have never seen any reference to this structure. It is not even listed in the huge 4 volume monograph of Schindler's drawings (at least not under the name "Purviance").

On November 17, 2005 the Cultural Heritage Commission issued its decision to deny cultural monument II , status to the Purviance Duplex, located at 944 Maltman Terrace in Silver Lake (CHC 05-5376 HCM).

The Purviance Duplex was constructed in 1922 and is one of the earliest known independent commissions of Rudolph M. Schindler, who would become an internationally known architect of the 20th Century. A local academic Schindler expert has testified that the Purviance Duplex is the earliest known example of an economical concrete construction method he devised, called "slab-cast" construction. This method conserved concrete formwork by pouring only the height of one board each day. The formwork was then moved up the next day for the next pour. The system produced a distinctive horizontalbanding in the concrete walls.

This method was used to construct the rear half of the building and the materials appear to be in very good condition. There are only two other built examples and they are amongSchindler's best-known works; the Pueblo Ribera Apartments (1924) in La Jolla, California and the How House (1925), also in Silver Lake. While the principal façade and front portion of the building does not exhibit this characteristic and is clad in light-colored brick, all of the building's exteriors do exhibit Schindler's typical asymmetrical window compositions. As such, there is certainly enough of Schindler's original design in this duplex to make it worthy of preservation. Because the Purviance Duplex appears to meet the criteria in the Administrative Code (section 22.130) of a monument that "embodies the distinguishing characteristics of an architectural type specimen, inherently valuable for a study of a period style or method of construction (emphasis added)" the decision of the Cultural Heritage Commission should be reviewed. I THEREFORE MOVE that pursuant to Section 245 of the Los Angeles City Charter, the Council ASSERT JURISDICTION over the November 17, 2005 action of the Cultural Heritage Commission in denying the nomination of the Purviance Duplex as cultural historic monument

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:49 pm

Mark,

I too wish to express my condolences on the loss of your son.

Out of all the architects who have practiced in Los Angeles, the two who have most effect on my are R. M. Schindler and John Lautner. And I once asked Lautner about other L. A. architects, and his gruff response was "Well, Schindler did some interesting work". Which I consider a high complement.

I am completely unaware of this 1922 Purviance Duplex project! From the description, the "slab-cast" method sounds exactly like the "slip-form" method, as used by Lloyd Wright in the Oasis Palm Springs Hotel in 1924. My understanding is that Lloyd's example was "one of the first" examples of this method, but not THE first. It looks like Schindler was the first. Fascinating!

As an aside, most of the Oasis hotel has been demolished over the years. And unfortunately, this week about 1/3 of the remaining "slip-form" structure has been demolished. Leaving only a trivial portion survive of a once-great structure. It is amazing to me that local preservationists could not consider this "back structure" to be important.

Anyway, if anyone has more information about "slab-cast" and "slip-form", I'd be interested!

And Mark, are there any other of your fathers buildings out there that we don't know about?

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

KevinEP
Modern Master

Purviance Nomination Approved + pics

Postby KevinEP » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:02 pm

After turning it down late last year, L.A.'s Cultural Heritage Commission approved the nomination today.

Many spoke on behalf of the nomination, including Mark Schindler, author Judith Scheine and councilmember Garcetti.

Despite the many modifications (see pics) and nagging questions about the front (brick) half of the house, the Commission saw the value in this early Schindler and it's rare method of construction.

For photos: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kuzmakevi ... EBV.Cj9NyQ

For more info on Schindler's concrete work, see David Gebhard's "Schindler", pages 48-50.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:12 pm

Thanks, Kevin. VERY interesting -- those sash are wonderful, and the vertical trim seen in photos 12 and 14 are delightful in the ways that they lap and wrap. . .

So glad to hear of the positive action by the committee. Thanks again for reporting, and showing.

SDR

ch

Postby ch » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:41 am

Thanks for the great slide show Kevin. And thanks to have who helped save this little diamond in the rough.

Two questions though:
    * Is the duplex on Maltan Avenue or Terrace? I can't find a Maltman Terrace on any of my maps?
    * Where is this house documented? While I most certainly don't dispute either Mark's or Judith's expertise I can't find a thing in any reference on Schindler.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks.

Mark
Modern Groupie

Schindler's Purviance

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:27 am

Craig wrote:Thanks for the great slide show Kevin. And thanks to have who helped save this little diamond in the rough.
Thanks.

Schindler's Purviance residence, 22, at 944 1/2 Maltman, was the first to use slab cast
construction and survived our earthquakes. Puebla Ribera, 1923 in poor
shape, and the How House, 25-26, are two of his best known and may be
the only others in the world. It is also one of the few unresolved
disputes in his work as the owner took out another permit for the main
house specifying bricks. That Schindler modified and sold his plans
for the second permit is supported by the plans not being in his file
and further by his contractor, Clyde Chase, occupying the house in
39. Except for some earthquake damage, in the brick portion, purchased
details and a door change it is an early Schindler, The three houses
show Schindler finding his own style after the strong influence of
working for Frank Lloyd Wright.

Craig,
I hope this gets posted. My last on the Purviance House wasn't. My Linux system makes nonsense of some of this Web Site.
I seem to have lost your message to me.

LW's slip form seems similar.
Mark

Modern? Lived it.

ch

Postby ch » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:47 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I'll be in LA next month for the Modernism show in Santa Monica and plan on driving by this property during my wanderings. With the loss of the Packard House I too believe it's crucial to try to save the early concrete work from this period.

Mark
Modern Groupie

Schindler

Postby Mark » Sat May 20, 2006 2:22 am

The only mention I find for Maltman Terrace is in lacity documents.
Mark

Modern? Lived it.

NZ
Modern Fan

New Building / Old Blueprints

Postby NZ » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:13 am

I met someone recently and she told me that somewhere in Silverlake there is a Schindler apartment building built around 1940 that has an empty lot next door.

Supposedly Schindler drew a blueprint for a building for the empty lot during the last year of his life (1953), but died before it construction could begin.

The plans were obviously for this specific site, and though they would most likely need to be modified for the new building codes, etc., if the owner wanted to, I guess they could try and build the place.

Though Schindler was the contractor on all of his projects, do you think a thoughtful owner/contractor could pull this off and also, should they?

Also . . . I guess the drawings are for 2 or 3 apartments (maybe 2 bedroom units) which could then be sold (condos or something).

Just curious what people think.

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:17 am

If anyone still needs clarification, it's Maltman Avenue. I used to live down the street, but had no idea what was going on behind all those trees.

gwdiener
Modern Master

Re: New Building / Old Blueprints

Postby gwdiener » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:12 pm

NZ wrote:I met someone recently and she told me that somewhere in Silverlake there is a Schindler apartment building built around 1940 that has an empty lot next door.

Possibly the Bubeshko Terrace Apartments on Griffith Park Bl? There is a vacant lot on the north side that I believe was for sale at the same time as the apartments in the past couple of years. The two existing building were built between '38-'41.

Here's a link (although erroneously refers to the location as "Echo Park":

http://housingprototypes.org/project?File_No=USA006

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:42 pm

I used to live right down the street (in one of the charming, crumbling bungalows on the hillside at 1740 Griffith Park Blvd.--rumored to have been built by Disney for the animators up the street) and never even knew that those were Schindler apartments.

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:43 pm

kjansma wrote:never even knew that those were Schindler apartments.

I only found out about them when they were last for sale. Crosby Doe had the listing. I want to say one building was just under a million and the other just over. I don't know what they ultimately sold for.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:54 pm

Search "Bubeshko" on this site for additional references. . .

Mark
Modern Groupie

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:08 am

Schindler used his own crew. He tried to make his buildings suitable for building at his deathbut without his crew most were too expensive.
Mark

Modern? Lived it.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:12 am

If I were building houses of my own design I believe I would do exactly as he did; enjoying the work (I am a cabinetmeker by trade) and remaining intimately in touch with the progress, while having the ability to adjust the design as desired -- while keeping costs as low as possible.

If more architects built in this way, it is hard to imagine how the result could fail to be a better house for the client, more satisfaction for the creator, and a more interesting public environment.

Life is too short. . .enjoy it :cheers:

SDR

pvanmeter
Modern Fan

Postby pvanmeter » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:41 pm

Love Rudy, love seeing this thread expanded, thanks for everyone's input

ch

Postby ch » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:55 pm

As tempting as it may be, I can't imagine anyone being able to take one of RMS's unbuilt designs and realize it, especially the later work. According to Esther McCoy, toward the end of his life Schindler's drawings contained the bare mininum needed to gain building permits. She goes so far as to say that often inspectors wouldn't understand Schindler's plans but having come to know him and his work (and the fact that he was also an experienced engineer) they would green light them knowing that he would be on site to fix any problems that might arise and get the thing to stand.

That being said, there are plenty of unbuilt projects with their intended addresses in the Schindler archive, although by this point I can't imagine the sites have not been developed 50 years later.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”