Schindler

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

pvanmeter
Modern Fan

Postby pvanmeter » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:24 am

I dunno. I believe someone out there with a like sensibility could pull off building a Schilndler 'plan.' It would be expensive but worth seeing/doing if the right client came along. It's very interesting to discuss his working meathod- own crew, on site supervision, design on the fly. Two great modenist garden designers worked simularly- Thomas Church (mostly a modernist) and James Rose. I have no doubt it brings the finest results! Too bad we've moved so far from that possibility.

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:48 am

Many thanks for saving the Schindler House for the rest of us.

I don't know how I missed this in January:

Schindler, Mark
1922 - 2012

Son of Pauline Gibling Schindler and Rudolf M. Schindler, Father of Eric Schindler (deceased 2005). He is survived by two children, Ian Schindler, and Margot Schindler-Ehrens; divorced from Mary DuPont Schindler. Three grandchildren. Mark was an electronics engineer. He contributed to U.S. Spacecraft projects beginning with the Redstone Project and continuing on through the Shuttle program. He was born while the Kings Road House was being constructed and lived there on and off until 1953. He, along with his children, made a charitable donation of the house, in the interest of it's preservation. He attended Black Mountain College., graduated from Reed College and earned a Masters Degree in Physics from U.S.C. He cherished animals, music, yoga, cultural diversity and ideas. He believed in human rights, a healthy planet and an exciting universe. He joined organizations such as The Astronomical Society and Greenpeace. Private service will be held by family. In lieu of flowers, please send donations to Friend's of the Schindler House, 835 North Kings Road, West Hollywood, CA 90069-5409, 323 651-1510. .

Published in the Los Angeles Times on January 8, 2012

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”