Rumor Mill: Leon's Closing

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Rumor Mill: Leon's Closing

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:06 pm

Rumor has it, Leon's Steak House in North Hollywood (northeast corner of Victory and Vineland) may be closing in June.
Supposedly it will be torn down for a Walgreens.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:32 pm

Ah crud. Not another Walgreen's.
Am I the only person boycotting them and their desire to demolish all that is good in the world?

retrocool
Modern Master

to many drug stores!

Postby retrocool » Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:04 pm

Before long there will be a drug store on every corner. What a shame. :(

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:46 pm

Walgreen's in in the process of getting approval to tear down a whole block of historic homes in Dartmouth, MA.

In New Orleans they're trying to build one in historic Carrolton, at the terminus of the St. Charles Streetcar line.

In local news, Nick Pacheco has sold out his community to greenlight the Walgreen's in Eagle Rock (thereby tearing down the marvelous 1930s Shopping Bag bldng at 2222 Colorado Blvd).

The list goes on and on.

And now this. If anyone owns Los Angeles Neon, turn to page 79 for a photo of the wonder that is Leon's.

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:27 am

Too bad. I hate to say it, but it was just a matter of time. I will personally continue my boycott against anything "Wal-". Leon's, like the Trails, always retained its 50's steakhouse feel and is remarkably intact. They regularly pack a 30-piece 40's Big Band into the depths of the original cocktail bar, where you can still see the built-in bar-b-que. Catch the great Buddy Worth while you can.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:24 pm

Confirmed: Leon's is closing sometime in July and everything is scheduled for demoiltion.

troyaloha
Modern Socialite

Leon's Closing

Postby troyaloha » Fri May 02, 2003 8:02 am

Aloha-

Another closing, another loss-

I personally love these little dark places and cringe every time another one is replaced by a Mega-Low-Mart , Home Butchers Square, or Valley of the Dolls Pharmacy, but it continues.

Anyone up for a gathering at Leon's before the end? I hate to wait for the last night. We could drink a toast to an Enron-like implosion of a couple of well known pharmacy chains.....

Mahalo-

Troy Aloha ***
"The Future is not what it used to be"

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Sun May 11, 2003 1:50 pm

We should make it soon...Eric and I confirmed Leon's will probably be shutting down more like mid-July. Pic of LSH at http://www.roadsidepeek.com/roadusa/sou ... index2.htm

troyaloha
Modern Socialite

Postby troyaloha » Sun May 11, 2003 4:06 pm

Okay, let's pick a night.......

I'll be there in my smartest sharkskin jacket.

Troy Aloha ***
"The Future is not what it used to be"

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue May 13, 2003 10:30 am

How about Friday, May 30?

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Tue May 13, 2003 10:34 am

We should make it on a Big Band night, no?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue May 13, 2003 11:24 am

There is a big band playing there this morning!

Mondays 7-10 p.m.

So, how about Monday, June 2

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Tue May 13, 2003 5:26 pm

Sounds good to me!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue May 13, 2003 7:20 pm

Adriene and nix - let's start a new thread over under events and invite everyone who might not be following this discussion for a gathering on Monday june 2nd.

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Tue May 20, 2003 4:26 pm

Since Leon's will be closing soon, for those loyal Swing fans who'll miss their morning scotch and soda, Johnny Vana's Big Band Alumni will be moving to a new venue beginning Tuesday, June 3rd: Woodley Lakes Restaurant at Lake Balboa on the golf course at 6331 Woodley Avenue, Van Nuys, 818.781.4900 Rehearsals 10:30am-12:30pm every Tuesday morning. Leon's was PACKED this morning -- it was great to see everybody singing and dancing!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue May 20, 2003 5:31 pm

You know, turns out I cannot go on the 2nd. If a group (that includes me) wants to go on the 9th or the 16th it would be peachy.

So_Cal_Native_in_Texas
Modern Master

Postby So_Cal_Native_in_Texas » Tue May 20, 2003 6:52 pm

I have never been to Leon's, and I've only seen the photos at Roadside Peek.com, but I am near tears thinking about this marvelous little place being demolished for a damned Walgreen's! :cry: (I was just at a Walgreen's last night; all right place to shop for stuff, but come on! It can't replace what's been there for decades!)

The destruction of buildings and architectural styles of the 20th Century is something that, in the last 7 or 8 years, has meant a great deal to me. What I mean is that I have become very much AGAINST demolition and the tearing down of the older artifacts that still stand. Maybe it's because I turned 30 in 1996, and I started thinking about what had gone before, and began to think about sharing that with my kids (even though I still don't have any yet). Maybe it's a longing for my childhood, when those 50's/60's styles were still somewhat prevalent compared to today. I have this desire to hang onto what's still around, lest it be lost forever.

It often feels as though some cosmic force is bound and determined to take away the things I remember from my youth for which I have developed a nostalgic fondness.

Am I unusual in that this sort of thing upsets me to the point of shedding actual angry tears when I hear about it happening (particularly in Southern California)? I mean, I know I'm unusual compared to the average schmoe, but am I unusual in these feelings compared with other retro fans? Does anyone else get upset about this destruction to the point where they actually cry? (And no, I don't sit around all morose for weeks on end, commiserating about it endlessly; I get upset for a while and then move on, bummed out, of course.)

It's like the movie The Majestic -- was I the only one who "got it"?

I just think that it's important for us and for future generations that we keep the past alive as much as we possibly can.
|

SugarCaddyDaddy
Modern Groupie

Postby SugarCaddyDaddy » Thu May 22, 2003 10:48 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:56 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”