bank architecture

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Charles Belfoure
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

bank architecture

Postby Charles Belfoure » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:21 pm

I'm doing a book on American bank architecture and am interested in getting information on modernist LA/Southern California banks starting in the late 1920's through the 30's 40's & 50's. Any suggestions?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:23 pm

MikeHatfield
Modern Fan

bank architecture

Postby MikeHatfield » Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:27 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Banks etc.

Postby modfan » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:17 am

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Millard Sheets

Postby scottkaycee » Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:04 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:42 am

LOS ANGELES TIMES

latimes.com
CURBSIDE GALLERY
Showcasing Millard Sheets, from canvas to curbside

August 26, 2007

NEXT month's Los Angeles County Fair will provide a perfectly populist venue to mark the centennial of the birth of Millard Sheets, one of SoCal's most prominent and accessible artists of the last century.

But don't fret if you miss the exhibition amid the frivolity of deep-fried Twinkies and pig-racing contests. Sheets' work remains on display 24 hours a day at busy intersections across the Southland, racking up sky-high traffic counts nearly two decades after the artist's death.

From the 1950s into the 1970s, Sheets oversaw the design of more than 60 Home Savings & Loan branches throughout the state. Sheathed in gleaming travertine, decked out with glittering mosaics, there was nothing quite like these art-laden edifices in Southern California commercial architecture at the time.

What's surprising in tear-it-down Southern California is how many of these branches still stand, holding down prime real estate from Anaheim to Arcadia. Most now bear the banner of Washington Mutual, which swallowed up Home Savings nearly a decade ago. In all, 47 of the 61 Sheets-designed buildings are open as banks and others have been leased out, says WaMu spokesman Gary Kishner.

"When you think of our changing society and the changes of buildings and tenants, it's quite a legacy that so many of these buildings are still around and the art still exists on them," says Millard's son, Tony Sheets, who helped with some of the buildings and will be directing the county fair exhibition "A Tapestry of Life: The World of Millard Sheets."

When Washington Mutual bought Home Savings in 1998, Tony Sheets was concerned about the fate of his father's work. Art has been removed from interiors in some locations, according to Sheets, but he says that overall the banking behemoth has stewarded the branches well...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la ... 4605.story

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby roadsidepictures » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:35 pm

Here's a neat bank rendering on a matchbook I have...

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby dilettante » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:37 pm

Here are three views of the Wells Fargo Bank Building in Carmel By The Sea, CA, designed by Olof Dahlstrand. Nicely, Wells Fargo has added this building to their "do not disturb" list of buildings they believe represent the best-designed branches in their large system. Unfortunately, I believe the sensational copper roof was replaced with some boring substitute a few years ago.
Publis space in the front, under the copper roof
Vault in the rear, note concrete detail
Inside offices have an unsupported span of 90x160 feet

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:58 pm

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:32 pm

Naturally, I love the Hollywood Home S&L branch (now Chase Bank). Check out the mural:

This is what it says in the upper left corner:
Among the figures featured are: Sarah Bernhardt, Rudolph Valentino, Clara Bow, Nanook of the North, Gary Cooper, Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks, Charlie Chaplin...

And Frederic March as Mr. Hyde! Plus the names of a lot of other Hollywood heavy hitters. I have to respect them for Mr. Hyde (and Nanook!). It's great that they skipped over a lot of more recent talent to honor the early stars.

KevinEP
Modern Master

Pasadena Rose Parade mural

Postby KevinEP » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:10 pm

I was in the Colorado Blvd. branch of Chase (formerly WaMu, nee Home Savings) the other day and the spectacularly baroque 1960s(?) Rose Parade mural is now obscured by a nice tan wall. It seems like a Starbucks exploded inside the branch.

Just as I was thinking about expressing my disappointment to the hapless teller, I heard the customer at the next window say, "That's what happens when outside companies buy things and don't understand the local culture." Exactly what I wanted to say. It is true. This mural doesn't fit Chase's complex understanding of California culture, which to judge by its billboards is limited to beaches & sunglasses.

The teller said that they were giving it away to some good home or other.

According to this site, the mural nearly got painted over: http://adamarenson.wordpress.com/homesavingsbankart/

Here's a photo of the original branch that was replaced in the '90s and a comment from someone else who's taken an interest in the mural: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39303931@N05/4012073453/

Also, here's a Sheets painting on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Millard-Sheets-orig ... 2007r38434

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”