Offbeat play equipment?

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Spike
Modern Socialite

Offbeat play equipment?

Postby Spike » Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:25 am

For a film location, I'm looking for a neighborhood park in the greater L.A. area that has a children's play area with some features of interest. I'm looking for something a little quirky, with character -- like a play area with little trains, or houses, or horses...or with climbing stuff shaped like a boat, rocket, UFO, etc.

It seems that a lot of this kind of old-fashioned metal and wood playground equipment has been replaced with that molded plastic stuff. Is there any left? Suggestions much appreciated.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:04 pm

Somebody told me about a playground in or near Arcadia with an underwater theme (e.g., an octopus statue that functions as a piece of playground equipment). I was given the address years ago but never checked it out. E-mail me if you want me to look into it.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:11 pm

studio city park used to have a rocket i think? don't know if it's still there?
and daniel paul took me to a park in orange county with moon craters in the ground - those were still there...

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:35 pm

Vincent Lugo Park, located at the intersection of Wells and Ramona Streets, in San Gabriel, CA has a number of covered picnic shelters; a lighted Little League baseball field; youth and tot playground areas; a wading pool for kids six years of age and young is open during the summer months; and the very populare and unique Laguna de San Gabriel Nautical Playground (also know as "Dinosaur Park").

Covina Park (where I spent my youth) has (had?) a huge gyroscope, a fire engine and a rocket. 4th
Street and Badillo (off Citrus Avenue), in Covina

Lark Ellen Park (?) has a giant WWII airplane encased in conrete. I think it's on Hollenbeck near Covina Boulevard. Ask around out there.. it's on a major corner. I wish I could remember....

Try the San Gabriel Valley - things move slower there,

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:32 pm

The last time I was at Victory Park in Pasadena (on Altadena and Paloma), there were still metal castles that small children could climb into. I haven't been there in a few years, but I'd be happy to go look at it again. (I'm in that area reguarly.)

There's also a neat dirt bike trail there (right on Paloma near the corner of Altadena), about 25' long, that's a series humps, so you go up and down and up and down, and there's plants, grass, and trees alongside it.

Spike
Modern Socialite

Thanks!

Postby Spike » Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:29 pm

Many thanks for the suggestions... it's off to the San Gabriel Valley for me.

By the way, the best thing I've seen so far is Los Arboles "Rocketship" Park in Torrance. There's a rocket and a lunar lander dating back to the 60s which the neighborhood united to save when they were scheduled for demo in the 80s. Now the rocket has a "historic structure" plaque. Bravo.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:39 am

Does anybodyremember the Dennis the Menice playground park - i don't know why they called it that - it had more of a medieval castle theme. I thought it was just off the 5 freeway? but not sure? The only other person i have heard mention this playground was Charles Pheonix. i do remember seeing it about 5-6 years ago - so i don't think it's gone yet?

also the Sherman Oaks park used to have a complete Wizard of Oz playground, but all that's left are some pavillion structures for picnicking.

Spike
Modern Socialite

listings

Postby Spike » Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:49 am

I did a search on some of the places you mentioned and came up with this site that has a great list of unique parks and playgrounds: http://www.lathingstodo.com/category.htm.

Sounds like the park with moon craters is in Anaheim, Dennis the Menace Park is in Downey, and there are playgrounds with underwater themes in both San Gabriel and Garden Grove.

Thanks for your help -- I'll check 'em out.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:37 pm

Dennis the Menace park was destroyed last summer.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:58 am

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Offbeat play equipment?

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:45 pm

Last edited by I_LUV_POWER!!!! on Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

retrocool
Modern Master

Dennis the Mennace

Postby retrocool » Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:31 am

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Metal Playground equipment

Postby Synthetrix » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:45 am

Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Metal Playground equipment

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:36 am

Last edited by I_LUV_POWER!!!! on Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby modfan » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:22 am

I remember when I was a kid, we went to a family reunion in a park I think was in Inglewood. It had a bunch of unique play equipment, seems like it was barely installed as some of it was fenced off as it wasn't finished being installed. This musta been in the early 60's, it mighta been Centinela Rancho park(?) I wonder if it all changed since then. It seemed like it would have been fun-one structure (wasn't finished yet) look kind of like scrap metal but it was an agglomeration of slides, ladders, tunnels and jungle gym. I wonder if any of it is still there....

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:27 am

In reply to what Modfan said, it can be a wonderful experience to return to a playground you haven't been to since you were a kid, and I'm sure others here have done that. I just returned to Victory Park in Pasadena (see earlier post) for the first time in 30 years (though, I'd driven by it many times), and I did it just in time: it's just about to be completely torn down in favor of a new thing. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( I'm really glad I returned when I did, and I have this thread to thank for it.

Spike
Modern Socialite

Thanks all.

Postby Spike » Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:43 pm

Hey, just wanted to mention that we ended shooting scenes for the film in the Laguna de San Gabriel section of Vincent Lugo Park in San Gabriel. It's a great place, full of slowly decaying, oversized concrete marine creatures with slides inside. I understand it dates back to the early 60s, and miraculously it's still there, hidden away in an underused section of the park. Well worth a visit.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for the advice and suggestions. I wouldn't have found that place without your help.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:28 pm

Would you mind telling us what film it's for?

Spike
Modern Socialite

film

Postby Spike » Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:51 pm

It's for a 16mm short I directed, called "Fish Burglars." I'm aiming for the film festival circuit -- or at least the niche audience for films set amidst offbeat playground equipment.

If the short ever screens in L.A., I will let you know!

Spike
Modern Socialite

Short Film Screening 9/24, 9/28

Postby Spike » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:48 pm

Hey all,

A 25-minute comic film I shot last year titled "Fish Burglars" will screen this Friday and next Tuesday at the ArcLight Cinemas in Hollywood, as part of the Silver Lake film festival. The film is a deadpan comedy about some unemployed guys who try to heist a rare fish from an aquarium. It features scenes shot in Vincent Lugo park in San Gabriel, a great location I found by posting a query on this board. Many thanks for all your help -- come check out the film if you can!

The film features Martin Starr ("Freaks and Geeks"), Taylor Nichols ("Barcelona") and KCRW radio dramatist Joe Frank. Music by Jonathan Richman. It's part of a package ingeniously titled "Comedy Shorts 1."

Friday September 24 @ 5:30 pm.
Tuesday September 28 @ 1 pm.
ArcLight Cinemas 6360 W. Hollywood between Vine & Ivar.

Best,
Gideon Brower AKA "Spike"

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:01 pm

I came upon one of those rocket-shaped jungle gyms last weekend. It was at Vincent Lugo Park in the San Gabriel Valley.

However, the slide has been removed, and some detailing has been added to the exterior to make it resemble a space shuttle.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:49 am

Texas rocketship park going away... My childhood park (Covina Park) had these exact same pieces. This reuse idea is pretty great.

DALLAS MORNING NEWS
After 40 years, playground equipment at Heights Park in Richardson to be removed
12:00 AM CDT on Monday, July 14, 2008

By IAN McCANN / The Dallas Morning News

RICHARDSON – The Heights Park rocket ship will close for good this week, more than 40 years after children here first climbed aboard.

Much of the playground equipment being removed from Richardson's Heights Park presents head entrapment, impalement and entanglement hazards, officials say. The rocket ship and other pieces will eventually be made into art pieces.
(via tiki central)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... a3095.html

Carlos Araujo
Modern Socialite

Postby Carlos Araujo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:42 am

Glenoaks Park in Glendale, CA had a rocket ship the last time I looked but that was a few years ago.
"Todos vuelven a la tierra en que nacieron" Ruben Blades

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

The GRANDADDY of Dennis the Menace in Monterey

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:12 pm

For those who love the Dennis the Menace thing,
the Hank Ketcham supported park in Monterey is still going strong.

Check out El Estero Park in Monterey-totally kid friendly, and super cool.
http://www.monterey.org/rec/locations.html

And the space ship is still there!

Glad to see folks are keeping these close to heart.....
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”