Wilshire Blvd Walk?

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

davidk6
Special Secret Modern Agent
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Wilshire Blvd Walk?

Postby davidk6 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:02 am

A westside friend long ago suggested walking the length of Wilshire Blvd, in order to get far better views of interesting detail than one gets when driving.

Early this January, on a week-long visit to LA, Lisa and I, on a whim, started walking east on Wilshire, from Fairfax. The idea was to walk to the eastern end of Wilshire...and to do the Fairfax to SM part at a later date. We only made it to Alvarado, because a friend who works downtown was waiting for us to get together for lunch at Clifton's.

The walk was definitely worthwhile; we saw quite a few things that I'd never noticed on hundreds of drives from Fairfax to the start of Wilshire, and got to see quite a few more in far more detail than before.

How about getting together a group of members of this bulletin board to do the downtown-to-Fairfax walk, or a Fairfax-to-SM walk some Sat. or Sun? Wouldn't it be especially nice if a certain member who writes for LA Magazine and another who's writing a book on The Blvd were part of the group?

Dave

PS We'll be in LA from 6/23 to 7/15; many of our Sats are already committed, but we're free virtually every Sun.
Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:24 pm

Funny you should mention it, I did the Wilshire walk several years ago and it changed my life. Besides the temporary blisters from tackling it from Grand Ave all the way to Saint Monica, it was the inspiration for my growing Wilshire ephemera collection, the Wilshire history book and (indirectly) the Wilshire driving tour I'm helping the LAConservancy with.

The idea to tackle it from downtown to Fairfax covers the best parts as it's Eastern end is more rich in visual history and still-standing landmarks. Sunday may open a few more church doors, so that would be a good day to take another long walk through what used to be Mr. Wilshire's barley field.

FYI: I saw some of the still-in-progress pages for the Wilshire book today. Great photos!

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:56 pm

Lynxwiler wrote:Funny you should mention it, I did the Wilshire walk several years ago and it changed my life. Besides the temporary blisters from tackling it from Grand Ave all the way to Saint Monica, it was the inspiration for my growing Wilshire ephemera collection, the Wilshire history book and (indirectly) the Wilshire driving tour I'm helping the LAConservancy with.

The idea to tackle it from downtown to Fairfax covers the best parts as it's Eastern end is more rich in visual history and still-standing landmarks. Sunday may open a few more church doors, so that would be a good day to take another long walk through what used to be Mr. Wilshire's barley field.

FYI: I saw some of the still-in-progress pages for the Wilshire book today. Great photos!

...so, any interest in picking a Sunday, assembling a small group, and doing the walk?

Regards

Dave

PS Will the Wilshire driving tour be on a bus, with you as guide, like the Neon Cruise? Will it be a one-shot deal, or will it be like the Conservancy's walking tour?

PPS When will the book come out? I bought a copy of Hancock's books, read the first 40-50 pages, and found it pretty bad
Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:36 am

Hmmm,
As much as I'd like to join you on the walk, I don't think I can afford the time to do it. Sure, the Wilshire book is almost done and is now scheduled to hit stands in September, but the LAConservancy has asked me to do A LOT of writing for their website and the October Wilshire driving tour.

The LAConservancy's Wilshire tour will be self-guided to allow guests to grab a guidebook at an appointed end of the bouelvard. By bus or car, the options will be yours. There will be docent-guided stops along the route and a guidebook of sights to help along the way. It's going to be a big, a once in a lifetime type of event.

As for Hancock's 1949 "Fabulous Boulevard", it's not that great. I see that book pop up on ebay occasionally and it's not worth it. During the research for the Wilshire book, Kevin Roderick and I discovered Hancock's original sources and discovered he basically plagerized other's work in an attempt at boosterism. Of course the largest disappointment in Hancock's book is the lack of photos.

davidk6

Go Know!

Postby davidk6 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:46 pm

Featured Outing

Wilshire Walk XXIV

Sunday, October 30 2005, 8am
Sponsor: Wilderness Adventures
Downtown
Starting Downtown
Santa Monica
Ending in Santa Monica

Come celebrate our 24th year as we walk from One Wilshire in downtown L.A. to the sea at Santa Monica. Pass through multicultural L.A. city blocks. Tired feet may sign out anywhere along the route and board a bus back to parking.

Directions: Meet at 8am at Figueroa and Wilshire in downtown Los Angeles. Bring money for lunch and the bus. Rain cancels.

Leader: Bobbie Peyser

http://angeles.sierraclub.org/outings/Featured.asp

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:49 pm

and don't forget to pick up a copy of lynxwiler's Wilshire book before you walk...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 8556/ll-20
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:58 pm

Futura Girl wrote:and don't forget to pick up a copy of lynxwiler's Wilshire book before you walk...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 8556/ll-20

I did...after Eric gave us a preview of the illustrations, over lunch, one Sunday in July.

Thanks again Eric.

Regards
Dave

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:48 am

That was a great lunch. Thanks again Dave. Sorry you couldn't make it out here for the LAConservancy's tour -- it was wonderful! I think I spent at least two hours at Johnie's alone!

So far, Amazon still has the best price on the Wilshire book. That price will go up after the book hits general bookstores so pre-order it sooner rather than later.

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:07 am

Lynxwiler wrote:That was a great lunch. Thanks again Dave. Sorry you couldn't make it out here for the LAConservancy's tour -- it was wonderful! I think I spent at least two hours at Johnie's alone!

So far, Amazon still has the best price on the Wilshire book. That price will go up after the book hits general bookstores so pre-order it sooner rather than later.

It's already ordered -- with lickety-split shipping; can't wait to read it...and to look at the great photos.

Regards
Dave

davidk6

Re: Wilshire Blvd Walk?

Postby davidk6 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:35 pm

davidk6 wrote:A westside friend long ago suggested walking the length of Wilshire Blvd, in order to get far better views of interesting detail than one gets when driving.

Early this January, on a week-long visit to LA, Lisa and I, on a whim, started walking east on Wilshire, from Fairfax. The idea was to walk to the eastern end of Wilshire...and to do the Fairfax to SM part at a later date. We only made it to Alvarado, because a friend who works downtown was waiting for us to get together for lunch at Clifton's.

The walk was definitely worthwhile; we saw quite a few things that I'd never noticed on hundreds of drives from Fairfax to the start of Wilshire, and got to see quite a few more in far more detail than before.

We finally finished all of Wilshire Blvd -- in 5 parts -- by walking from Barrington to the intersection of Wilshire and Santa Monica!!!
Dave

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Congratulations! It's quite a trek no matter how you tackle it.

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:02 pm

Lynxwiler wrote:Congratulations! It's quite a trek no matter how you tackle it.

Thanks. We're starting to think about Sunset...

Regards
Dave

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”