San Fernando & Fletcher

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

San Fernando & Fletcher

Postby nichols » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:05 pm

The big K-Mart store across from the historic Van de Kamps bakery has closed and Home Depot has purchased their lease. Their normal type of store is not allowed there and councilman Garcetti is seeking input. That corner is going to be so much nicer when Van de Kamps is completed as the new LACC satellite.

http://www.arroyoseconewsgroup.com/stor ... kamps.html

From Councilman Garcetti's office:
Home Depot has purchased the lease that K-mart held on San Fernando Road, and they've expressed an interest in developing a big-box format store at that location. However, the interim control ordinance now in place requires them to make design choices more in keeping with the pedestrian-friendly vision that many of you have spoken about with regards to the Fletcher/San Fernando area. I've asked the developers to meet with the affected neighborhood councils (Glassell Park and Atwater Village). What do you want to see there? Speak up! To find out about community meetings, please contact Field Representative Christina Ortega.

Los Angeles Council District 13
200 North Spring Street, Room 470
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 473-7013

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I want to see

Postby modfan » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:33 pm

The Van De Kamp's 2 windmill drive in that used to be where the El Pollo Loco (& Denny's?) is across the street-seems ped friendly with outdoor dining-maybe someone can find an archive pic. Speaking of Denny's-there's a precedent-the windmill restaurant in Arcadia.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:16 pm

The Van De Kamp's Twin Drive-In was an incredible place. At first there was a small traditional windmill on the corner, that was replaced by a small drive-in in 1938 designed by Plummer and Feil and expanded wildly by architect Wayne McAllister in 1940. This is when it became the "Twin Drive-In" and gained it's signage and neon and all that.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:20 pm

THIS is the 1967 Nyberg & Bissner VDK in Arcadia with MODCOM members out front:

We convinced Denny's that there was no need to remove the windmill during their remodeling. (Thereby saving them a great deal in demo expenses!)

Here is is without us blocking it:

KevinEP
Modern Master

Good thing...

Postby KevinEP » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:13 pm

This should help provide an oasis of building materials in the veritable home improvement Sahara between the Home Depot on San Fernando Road in Glendale and the Home Depot on San Fernando Road & Fig.

I was just thinking that Atwater doesn't have enough stuccoed bungalows with aluminum sliders and etched glass entry doors.

In all seriousness, this intersection deserves better. There's so much foot & car traffic, yet this stretch of San Fernando seems so chaotically planned. I hope Garcetti's succesful (and the Community College actually happens at Van De Kamp's).

Kevin

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:11 pm

This seems to be the latest version of the LACC/Van De Kamps site designed by Stephen Ehrlich.

http://www.park2parkla.com/040315/favne ... letter.cfm

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:15 pm

After all these years, it looks like the ground is moving around the Van de Kamp's site. Finally I'm seeing construction crews, trailers and big machinery to get the site ready for building.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

How long

Postby modfan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:31 am

Was the Van De Kamp windmill drive in there? Seems to me I remember vague memories of passing by it on SF Road as a kid when my parents visited relatives in the SF Valley in the mid 50's, or was there another one at Colorado St.? This was all pre I-5, SR134, I-210 days-they didn't exist yet.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:33 am

Like I said, Wayne McAllister designed the Van de Kamp's "Super Twin Drive-In" at the corner of San Fernando and Fletcher in 1940. Notice in the aerial how it sits at the northwest corner of the property. In 1967 it was replaced with a new Van de Kamp's Coffee Shop, which became a Tiny Naylor's, which became a Denny's. There is an El Pollo Loco at the corner. The menu lists all their locations as of 1957.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:25 am

Just to clarify the placement of buildings on this site...

c. 1940
1940 with 2007 improvements
Google Earth

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:45 pm

Former Van de Kamp's for sale in Norwalk:

11012 Firestone Blvd, Norwalk, CA

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:40 pm

Checking in on construction of the new Los Angeles City College at Van de Kamp's (February, 2009)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:59 pm

Almost done. Neon is back.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:44 am

Hooray for that great neon sign! My flickering faith in humanity has (momentarily) been restored!

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:02 pm

I've been watching the progress too, surprised no press about the conversion, it's a perfect candidate for what re-purposing can mean to historic structures, if only this had been applied to the Ambassador Hotel.

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Sat May 15, 2010 11:54 pm

Here's what it looked like in 1936:
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assetserv ... AA-NG-3981

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”