A question about Downey Ca.?

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
retrocool
Modern Master

A question about Downey Ca.?

Postby retrocool » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:34 am

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering what kind of reputation Downey has outside our city boundries. Is it good or bad or in the middle. I am part of a group that has been working hard to restore and enhance Downey's image in the Southland. If you have any thoughts on what we could do to make Downey more atractive Historically and Culturally please respond to this post.

www.downeyhistoricalsociety.com
Have a good on,
Retrocool[url][/url]
Member Downey Historical Society,
President - The Downey Conservancy
Aerospace Legacy Foundation Board Member
President - Downey Museum of Art

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:10 am

retrocool
Modern Master

Perspective

Postby retrocool » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:34 am

Well I am looking for a general feeling about Downey as well as Mod Com input. In past posts I have recieved responses that reflected a kinda negativity about Downey. I was just wondering if this was true? I along with many others have worked very hard to bring up the image of Downey. I was just wondering how we are doing.

Thanks for you input,
Retrocool

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:58 am

Who needs expensive PR campaign -- just put up big signs at city limits: "Downey -- Where the Livin' is Soft n' Easy !"

No? Bender usually not trusted with public funds -- for obvious reasons
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

well....

Postby modfan » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:38 pm

Home of the Carpenters Richard and Karen....
Downey-named after one of Calif. governors?
Home of Johnnie's Broiler and one of the original McDonalds.....
The county complex on Imperial and the Aerospace plant across the street being redeveloped.
Home of Rancho Los Amigos Rehabilation Center.
Bout all I know for now.....

downeydreamer
Modern Fan

Postby downeydreamer » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:15 pm

Maybe I've listened to "We've Only Just Begun" one too many times, but I've always thought Downey was underrated...I even made a site dedicated to it, which you can check out:

www.downeydreamer.com

...to me it's the 'forgotten atomic suburb' of LA. There is a small group of dedicated "Downey fans" out (t)here. I think Downey has suffered a bit because of its location in the SE area, but the city - that area in general (like Bellflower, Norwalk and Whittier) - is a time capsule of middle & working class 50s suburbia. However, in the last few years, much of it has been lost to the wrecking ball or redeveloped - like Johnie's Broiler. That was the inspiration for my website.
It was also home to Downey Records (surf-music label in 60s) and the Tahitian Village (featured on many tiki sites).

Don-O
Modern Socialite

Postby Don-O » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:52 pm

For further details:
http://donosdump.com

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:54 pm

My wife grew up in 50's 60's Norwalk (went to John Glenn High which has some space age themes like their snack stand the "Space Bar" but I digress) just to the East of Downey, separated by the 605 Freeway and the San Gabriel River. It was generally accepted and known that Downey was a notch or two above Norwalk and most of Downey's surrounding municipalities. The Buicks were the next model up which the working stiffs in Norwalk bought used at a car lot a few years later. Norwalk had it's share of Ranch Style, but on a stucco budget whereas Downey had blocks full of Ranch complete with shake roofs, wagon wheels and split rail fences. At the peak of the roof a huge dove cove with perhaps 7 coves ( does anyone down in Downey know the record for the most number of cove holes or sophsticated "pigeon lofts" on a single family residence? I believe only La Habra Heights has better example of California Ranch than sections of Downey.

Look, Downey has the best McDonald's around and that is sufficent enough. It has one of the finest suburban shopping center, Stonewood Center, bad remodel but still some elements. One of the great fantasy public parks, Dennis the Menace Park off Lakewood Blvd. until they remodeled it several years back into standardized blandness. A few standing relics of Johnnie's Broiler and a float now and then in the Rose Parade to give the town some status.

Thank your Atomic Age lucky stars you don't have to build up Norwalk or Bell Gardens image.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:13 am

dovecote n. [dove+cote(<AS. cote, fem form of cot), cottage; see COT (cottage)], a small house or box with compartments for nesting pigeons

SDR

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:59 pm

Thanks SDR for rectifying my improper usage of the architectural detail oft attached to Ranch Style houses, the dovecote. Yea, that's what I meant ! Dove-coats. Very very difficult garment to help a bird into.....

I asked my Norwalk reared wife for her impression of Downey. A notch above the other towns in the area and loads of car dealerships, at least back then. Cerritos probably eclipses everyone down there with car dealerships. In a way, now that I think of it, Downey of the 50's 60's is what Cerritos is to the past couple of decades. Flush with car lots and tax dollars. Visit the well appointed modern Cerritos Library if you wish to see what a huge commerical tax base will buy you.

Downey has an annual Christmas parade and a juvenile hall.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:22 pm

I'm on my way -- and I'll take care of those doves, one cote at a time!

Bender sometimes rents out head (it's empty)

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby roadsidepictures » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:23 pm

retrocool
Modern Master

Wow!!! Thank everyoe for the feedback!!

Postby retrocool » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:18 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I am a huge Downey Fan, and was wondering how we were percieved out of the area. Right now we are fighting the developers and the mansions. I think we have a good chance a stoping them in there tracks, which will hopefully lead to restorations of our cool ranch homes. We have some beautifull neighborhoods here so if anyone is looking for a nice 50's home we have a lot of them. A large amount of these homes are executive homes and were custom built on large lots with some great features and architecture. Keep the coments coming. I will keep checking the post to see if anything is new.

www.downeyhistoricalsociety.com

Thanks a million,
Retrocool [url][/url]

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Postby Synthetrix » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:51 pm

[quote="downeydreamer"]Maybe I've listened to "We've Only Just Begun" one too many times, but I've always thought Downey was underrated...I even made a site dedicated to it, which you can check out:

www.downeydreamer.com

I loved your Downey site. I never realised there were some cool MCM homes there.

V
Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

downeydreamer
Modern Fan

Postby downeydreamer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:38 am

thanks for the comments on the website!

Synthetrix - I really like "Photos of the Forgotten' - great pictures of space age hotels, coffee shops and "the Cockatoo Hotel".

downeydreamer

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”