The Broadway Hollywood: rooftop neon finally relit!

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lynxwiler
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Broadway Hollywood: rooftop neon finally relit!

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:04 pm

veronica
Modern Fan

Great news!

Postby veronica » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:18 pm

WoooHoo! I love that sign. I found an old ad which stated that they had cantaloupe in their produce section...can you imagine? Buy a suit, get a haircut, buy some produce! So modern!

veronica
Modern Fan

Sissy Frills

Postby veronica » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:29 pm

I have to mention one more ad I have for B'Way H'wood from 1942..."This Season's New Trend...Sissy Frills"! What a scream! This was a ladies blouse bedecked with scads of ruffles. Too chi-chi! Sissy Frills!

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:07 pm

For more info on the building and its new lofts set to open in Summer, 2006:
http://www.broadwayloftshollywood.com/

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:42 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:10 pm

The Broadway Dept. Store had 3 floors of indoor parking.. I assume that feature will be retained.

Here is some info on the relighting from the Hollywood Chamber:

>
>

The Broadway-Hollywood Light is ON!

Los Angeles – Kor Development has announced the restoration of the famed Broadway Hollywood building – at the corner of Hollywood and Vine – into loft condominiums. The conversion of the nine-story, 232,000 square-foot former Broadway Hollywood store – a 1927 Renaissance Revival gem – was announced October 6, with a dramatic re-lighting of the landmark “The Broadway Hollywoodâ€￾ neon sign atop the building.

The well-known marker first lit up the corner of Hollywood and Vine in 1931 and remained illuminated until 1941, when World War II blackouts extinguished Los Angeles’ glamorous neon designs. The refurbishment of The Broadway Hollywood sign was made possible by the generosity of David Bohnett and the David Bohnett Foundation, which contributed the majority of the funding for the restoration. The City of Los Angeles Community Redevelopment Agency also earmarked funds towards the repair of the sign. All monies for this renovation were administrated by Museum of Neon Art.
Everyone spoke about how beautiful the sign looked in the night sky in yellow and blue.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:44 am

That photo is great! Thanks Nichols. On the mid-right, one can see the little Brown Derby neon now at the Museum of Neon Art.

greenbot
Modern Fan

Howard Hughes and the Broadway

Postby greenbot » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:04 pm

Wow, that neon looks so distinguished and glamorous! And the removal of the lead paint has exposed those gorgeous colored bricks! Bravo!

I think I recall the owners wanting to rip that sign down or replace it with some silly 'Hollywood and Vine' sign.

I can't remember where I heard this, and it could just be rumor, but I've always wondered... Howard Hughes maintained space atop the B.H. Dyas building (Broadway Building) amongst other offices along Hollywood Blvd. and had a team of 'lookouts' for attractive woman shopping in Hollywood. He particularly liked the Broadway Building because of it's handy auto elevator (which I have seen and is quite impressive) so that he could drive directly up to his office.

Hell, I would have done that if I were a young single Billionaire!!

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:55 pm

greenbot
Modern Fan

COSMO LOFT

Postby greenbot » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:18 pm

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:27 am

Ah, that's right. And the Hollywood Entertainment Museum is down the street under the Knitting Factory. I do get them all switched around sometimes.

If you do have the opportunity to go to the Hollywood History Museum, please do. It's a great facility and the collections are quite rich. I've been three times now and it's been a different display each trip. Well worth it -- to see the elevator too.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”