Saarinen Terminal at JFK update

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite
Location: Los Angeles/Highland Park CA (Native of Dallas, TX)

Saarinen Terminal at JFK update

Postby Chrisgreen » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:25 pm

I also posted this on the main forum but I'm posting again here to get this topic started.

I very recently visited the TWA Terminal at JFK airport in New York for the first time. As you probably know, the terminal is closed due to the buyout of TWA by American Airlines. The terminal is endangered and this is a major preservation issue. Here is a link to a page that tells about what's going on and asks for help: http://jetsetmodern.com/twa.htm
Please visit!

I just wanted to say that at this time the building seems completely intact. It is guarded, apparently at all times, by an airport guard (who would not let me step even inside the doorway for a photo). It is eerily empty inside and no traffic comes by outside, but it is all still there and amazingly original. Too bad my first time seeing it was after it closed, but it's still one of the most amazing modern structures ever! Major modification or demolition is UNTHINKABLE!

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite
Location: Los Angeles/Highland Park CA (Native of Dallas, TX)

Recent TWA Terminal Photos

Postby Chrisgreen » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:49 pm

These are photos I took in September 2002 of the building as it stands. Although the building is closed, as you can see it is in perfect unaltered condition at present, fortunately. But danger lurks! The interior photos were taken through the window, since it is impossible to get inside.<p>

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:28 pm

Wow, thanks for posting those pics, Chris. I had heard the terminal was endangered, but had no idea that it had closed.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:15 pm

RFP issued for TWA terminal.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey does not know what to do with Eero Saarinen’s TWA Terminal at JFK International Airport. At the end of November, the organization will issue a Request for Proposals (RFP) to see what developers may have in mind for the landmark. “It is really wide open,â€￾ said Authority spokesman Pasquale DiFulco. “We are leaving it to the imaginations of the developers who respond to the RFP. It could be a destination resort, a spa, an aviation museum. There are 10,000 square feet that could be offices—the possibilities are endless.â€￾ DiFulco noted that developers will be asked to assemble a team of experts that can assure that the building will be refurbished and operated in a sustainable manner, but was hesitant to spell out specific details.

Currently, the dynamic structure sits dark as the construction of JetBlue Airway’s Terminal 5, designed by Gensler, with some interiors by the Rockwell Group, progresses behind it. Although the building’s future use is still unclear, the RFP at least eliminates one previous fate. JetBlue had proposed using the Saarinen building as a gateway to its new terminal. While the airline will install a couple of check-in kiosks in the old terminal’s main hall, the building won’t be a part of its operations; Beyer Blinder Belle surveyed and documented the terminal for the Port Authority, but is not heading the restoration...

http://www.archpaper.com/news/2006_1211b.htm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:36 pm

"Better Living Through Modernism"

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:39 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:40 pm

2Tone
Modern Socialite

Postby 2Tone » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:24 pm

As a huge fan of commercial aviation and Trans World Airlines (which I was less than pleased to see disappear from the skies) I would like to see the terminal be used as something that will generate interest in aviation. Perhaps a museum along with some other aviation related attractions. Maybe a tribute to aviation before it was reduced to TSA security and Buy on Board meals. I'm glad that T5 wasn't fully demolished, but I would hate to see it become offices or the airport GAP.

"To express the excitement of travel" - Eero Saarinen

classicsat
Modern Socialite

Postby classicsat » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:31 pm

How about as jet-age air trasnit museum, celebrating commercial passanger air travel from 1950s to present, with various mock-ups of cabins from the various eras.
New York - Leeds- Los Angeles - San Francisco - Toronto
Wherever Google Earth takes me.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:33 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:09 pm

PRESERVATION ONLINE

Saarinen's TWA Trumpet To Move

Story by Krista Walton / Apr. 23, 2007

(jetblue)
A section of Eero Saarinen's 1962 TWA Terminal at John F. Kennedy International Airport known as the "trumpet" will be getting a little fanfare of its own sometime next week; the piece will be moved in preparation for construction of the new JetBlue Airways terminal.

The move is no easy task, of course: The interior and foundation of the 5,000 square-foot concrete structure had to first be reinforced with steel, and earlier this month, the trumpet was lifted six feet in the air to place huge dollies underneath it.

"The lifting took several days," says JetBlue spokesperson Bryan Baldwin. "Each dolly weighs about 92 tons with the building on top of it, with the main ‘head' dolly weighing in at 133 tons."

The trumpet, called such because of its curved shape, was saved last summer thanks to the efforts of a group of more than 15 organizations who formed the Redevelopment Advisory Committee in 2003 to consult with JetBlue about protecting Saarinen's design. JetBlue agreed to save the trumpet, the front of the terminal (also called the head house), and two tubes that once led to the flight wings. The airline destroyed the flight wings themselves in 2005 to make room for the new terminal...

http://www.nationaltrust.org/magazine/news/index.htm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:05 am

My view from the Jet Blue Terminal September 15, 2007

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Yup

Postby modfan » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:58 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:01 pm

The new restaurants Jet Blue opened at the TWA terminal look fantastic!

http://www.metropolismag.com/story/2009 ... ys-welcome

bluecherub
Modern Master

Postby bluecherub » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:34 am

I was at JFK last week and the terminal looks closed yet, about the same as before, when will it open?

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:02 am

Some extracts from the Jet Blue press release last Oct.

NEW YORK, Oct 22, 2008 (GlobeNewswire via COMTEX News Network) -- JetBlue Airways (Nasdaq:JBLU) today welcomes its first customers to Terminal 5, the airline's newly constructed home at John F. Kennedy International Airport. Commencing today, all JetBlue departures from JFK will operate from T5, as will all domestic arrivals and international arrivals that pre-clear U.S. customs prior to arriving in New York.

One of the first terminals in the U.S. to be completely designed and built post 9/11, T5 focuses on efficiency and customer comfort. The 635,000-square-foot terminal boasts 26 gates distributed throughout three concourses and includes a 55,000-square-foot central retail and concession Marketplace. T5 is designed to accommodate up to 20 million annual customers with up to 250 daily departures.

T5 is located behind the iconic Eero Saarinen-designed TWA terminal, which remains under the control of the Port Authority. The Port Authority is rehabilitating and restoring the landmark structure in order to reopen it to the public under an adaptive reuse program. The design of JetBlue's new T5 began in March 2004 with groundbreaking occurring in December 2005.
scowsa

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:56 pm

from reports back in sept '08,

...," we reported that the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (PANYNJ) had announced that the former TWA Terminal at Kennedy Airport would reopen this fall, allowing JetBlue passengers to pass through the landmark structure on their way to the new JetBlue Airlines terminal that is also due to open shortly. But, while the latter will open ahead of schedule next month, the reopening of the former has now been delayed at least until mid-2009."

Jet Blue has a T5blog
http://t508.wordpress.com/

Best view in the house - 6:45 a.m.
October 22, 2008
Just as the sun was rising over New York, people began heading over to the tail end of the East Concourse to check out the views. The Moroso Lounge is the best spot in the house to not only take in the sunrise, but also check out the action on the runways.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed May 20, 2009 8:40 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:00 pm

Update.

At T5 yesterday morning.
Minor construction continues but it seems in good hands?

Way to many rumors about it's future use to report.
(i have better photos but stuck on my other camera)

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”