R.M. Schindler and $5 LAP DANCES??

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

greenbot
Modern Fan

R.M. Schindler and $5 LAP DANCES??

Postby greenbot » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:03 pm

Is this some sort of post modern, guerrilla performance art? Either way I'm lovin it.

Last night as I rode my bike down Hollywood Blvd I noticed this metal sign bolted onto a tree in front of the infamous CAVE strip joint, which is the old Hollywood 'Sardi's' built by Schindler in '31. This sign was a high quality, heavy duty, professionally printed red and white sign much like a parking enforcement sign. It looked as if someone had tried to tear it down, it was really bent up. I straightened it out and took a few photos. What gives? Who's the mystery artist?

P.S. Rode my bike by yesterday and it's no longer there, but the bolts were still in the tree.

Someone must have succeeded in ripping the metal right off the bolts (which were only just heavy duty screws that used a Phillips head screwdriver)

My guess is the sophisticates that run the Cave were somehow threatened by it. I would feel more threated if I didn't have a Phillips lying around.
Last edited by greenbot on Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:53 pm

Don't know the origin, but I love the idea. Be on the look out for others around town; you never know...

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:28 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:11 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

greenbot
Modern Fan

If your going west on Sunset keep your eyes peeled

Postby greenbot » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:35 pm

Last edited by greenbot on Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:26 am

greenbot
Modern Fan

Postby greenbot » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:04 pm

Last edited by greenbot on Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:27 am

pvanmeter
Modern Fan

Postby pvanmeter » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:57 am

ch

Postby ch » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:55 am

pvanmeter
Modern Fan

Postby pvanmeter » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:44 pm

yah, I read that too. She looked like (and sounded like) a pretty sharp women. It's sad how time usually makes all the facinating personel stuff go away. I know it can get gossipy, but it always fills in so many voids about how good projects happen! ie. Franklin Tokker's 'Fallingwater Risin.' gossippy? could be so, but how interesting to bring these people to life! would love to know more about Rudy!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:12 pm

Welcome pvanmeter -- I assme you've found Esther McCoy's reminiscences on RMS ? I agree that some personal stuff on people (designers) we admire can add to our understanding of them. (Or are we just nosy ?)

I've asked before what influence Schindler might have had on Lautner -- in other words, what did the latter think of the former ? Only someone's recollections of pertinent conversation, or some letters, perhaps, would tell us. . .

SDR

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:28 am

Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

mlagirl80
Modern Socialite

Postby mlagirl80 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:49 pm

as a resident of this area, i would be more inclined to believe the sign was vandalized by the influx of "out of town" visitors that come to hollywood to visit the rapidly rising array of nightclubs... i've seen them tear down anything that is even nailed down, as is this sign... m :?

pvanmeter
Modern Fan

Postby pvanmeter » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:39 pm

it always seemed to me Lautner moved in way different places then Rudy- places that were filled with big budgets! Somehow, that makes RM a lot more interesting to me; his innovations more innovative -then even Lautners! and maybe I haven't heard enough 'gossip' but it's hard for me to imagine JL driving around in a car full of lumber and hardware/not so with RM!

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:23 pm

pvanmeter,

Your perception of Lautner, vis-a-vis Schindler, is perhaps colored by the big budget houses that Lautner was able to build later in his career. Definately, Schindler never had the budget to do a project like Silvertop, Sheats/Goldstein, or Levy. And I don't think Lautner every drove around carrying lumber, that is probably true.

But Lautner's career had long slow periods when all he could build were small, inexpensive houses. There he was practicing in an area very close to that of Schindler. But Lautner was generally fortunate to have good builders working for him, so he didn't have to be the contractor too.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer

www.glassandsteel.com

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:19 pm

I'm not entirely clear on why Schindler acted as his own contractor -- but it certainly seems that he enjoyed the function, at least inasmuch as it allowed him the luxury of improvisation -- and may have earned him some respect, as a cost-saving designer-builder, as well (?).

Poeple tend to find ways to work as they wish, for better or worse, and to avoid what they don't wish to involve themselves in. If these two architects have in common their relative distain for self-publicity (which is another issue than the ones discussed), there is no doubt a good reason for that, too.

SDR

ch

Postby ch » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:16 pm

Speaking of our man RMS, I see the Wilson House is currently on the market: .

Anyone have anything to share regarding this apparently fine house?

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”