Tail O' The Pup threatened???

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

paranoid123
Modern Groupie

Tail O' The Pup threatened???

Postby paranoid123 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:02 pm

Hi,

I caught a blurb of this on another forum, but it seems to mention that the LA icon, and example of programatic architecture, Tail O' The Pup may be shut down in 30 days???

This was posted on www.chowhound.com:

"I over heard Dennis Blake, the owner with his father, Eddie Blake telling a diner that he is being forced to close in 30 days. Another institution being destroyed by a developer. Evidently, the hospital( Sinai ) sold the property to Regent Development Co. who will re=do the whole corner."

Is anyone aware of this? Is there anything that we can do?

Tail O' The Pup
329 N. San Vicente Blvd.,
Los Angeles, CA.
(310) 652-4517

SkipHome
Modern Master

Tail O' Pup

Postby SkipHome » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:23 pm

..is not in Los Angeles - it's in the City of West Hollywood. I am trying to find out from their Economic Development dept. what is going on.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:43 pm

Yup. Just got word of this today. The developer was planning to incorporate the 'pup but neighborhood pressures forced them to make design changes that preclude that. They are scouting alternate locations and working with the Conservancy right now.

SkipHome
Modern Master

Sounds fishy

Postby SkipHome » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:52 pm

to me ... the neighborhood is responsible for moving the hot dog stand?
The benevolent developer wanted to incorporate it? Somehow I think there's more to the story. At least it's protected and they can't just demolish it.

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:53 am

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... -headlines

New Digs for Tail O' the Pup?
Internet gossip may complicate a possible relocation of the popular fast-food stand after it is forced from its spot in West Hollywood.

By Bob Pool
Times Staff Writer

November 10, 2005

Talk about the tale wagging the pup.

Quite frankly, the owner of the landmark Tail O' the Pup hadn't expected the story of the upcoming closure of his West Hollywood hot dog stand to be bandied about so soon. And with the word out, he certainly wasn't viewing his next meeting with his landlord with much relish.

That's because Dennis Blake is still negotiating with the owners of the San Vicente Boulevard site on which his distinctive, hot dog-shaped eatery sits to move it to a permanent location.

"We haven't told anybody. We haven't told anybody," Blake said, saying it twice Wednesday for emphasis. "We don't want to burn any bridges at this point. Landlords can be nasty if they want to be. But they have some other property they want us to move to."

Blake fielded a steady stream of inquiries from news outlets after an Internet message board operated by food lovers reported that the stand was "being destroyed by a developer." The thought of the loss of another Los Angeles fast-food icon was hard to digest.

It turns out that a hot dog-munching customer heard a snippet of conversation and raced to his keyboard to write:

"Stopped by the Tail this afternoon & I overheard Dennis Blake, the owner with his father, Eddie Blake, telling a diner that he is being forced to close in 30 days," wrote the anonymous "Westside Chub" on the Chowhound message board.

"Maybe they can find another location to move the Pup just as they did the last time. Does anybody have an idea or location for these guys? Let's save the Pup."

Actually, Regent Properties Inc. had already found a spot for the Pup in Westwood Village — unless someone rocks the boat before the deal goes through, said Blake, 53, of Westchester. "It's at a Broxton Avenue parking lot, near Weyburn Avenue. It could really work out well. There are a lot of things to work out though."

Blake and his 81-year-old father, who retired from the stand in July, acquired the 59-year-old stand in 1978. They oversaw its relocation in 1986 after it was moved from its original site at nearby La Cienega Boulevard and Beverly Place to make way for a luxury hotel. The pair stored the 17-foot-wide hot dog facade, constructed from stucco-covered chicken wire, at an Alhambra wrecking yard for about a year before renting space on land owned by Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

Beverly Hills-based Regent Properties bought the site about two years ago, Blake said. It plans to develop condominiums and a retirement community for gays and lesbians, he said.

Executives at Regent did not return a call seeking comment Wednesday about their hot dog relocation plans. But customers said they would follow the Pup wherever it goes. "I've been coming here maybe 25 years, and I'll keep coming," said David Arnold, a Redondo Beach police officer who lives in Santa Monica.

Fine-art photographer Jesse Diamond, son of singer Neil Diamond and a 30-year Pup patron, said the proposed move was fine with him: He lives in Westwood. "This place won't permanently disappear. There will be a new location for it," Diamond said confidently.

Blake hopes so. But he said he wished the Internet gossiper had talked to him first.

Eavesdropping over a hot dog doesn't cut the mustard.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

comment

Postby modfan » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:17 am

from the previous post:
'It plans to develop condominiums and a retirement community for gays and lesbians, he said.'

That may yet fall thru-there was a lotta hype about a retirement community like this in Cathedral City a few years back but has yet or will not be built-the property is still vacant or may be for other uses, probably retail (as with most cities-it's the fiscalization of land use)

SkipHome
Modern Master

Where are all the

Postby SkipHome » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:49 am

.....Irv's Burgers people? Why haven't they organized a website and started petitions? Do we really want the 'Pup in.......Westwood??

paranoid123
Modern Groupie

Postby paranoid123 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:38 pm

Admittedly I may have been one of the Internet gossipers that the LA Times article was talking about. Here's an update if anyone is still interested in Tail O' The Pup.

http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/news/art ... p?id=34998

‘Pup’ may roll over to Village
West Hollywood hot dog stand could be forced to relocate

By Josh Kahn
DAILY BRUIN CONTRIBUTOR
jkahn@media.ucla.edu

A large, 17-foot-wide hot dog – complete with mustard – may soon be on its way to Westwood.

The Tail O' the Pup hot dog stand, with its hot-dog-inspired storefront, has been on San Vicente Boulevard in West Hollywood since 1986, after development of a luxury hotel forced the stand to move from its original site at the corner of nearby La Cienega Boulevard and Beverly Place.

But owner Dennis Blake, 53, who recently took over the business from his father, Eddie Blake, must now find a new location for the nearly 60-year-old hot dog stand, after a development company acquired its current site from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

Regent Properties, which now owns the land on which the Pup is located, may move the stand to Broxton Avenue in Westwood Village, although there is no specific time line for the move and negotiations are ongoing, Blake said.

Blake said he would prefer to keep the Pup at its current location, because he has developed a steady number of loyal customers while still managing to attract new ones.

But he is open to change.

"We're game for new places," he said.

And to eat a Tail O' the Pup hot dog, loyal customers are willing to travel.

"I'll follow those guys wherever they go," said John Brambila, 50.

Brambila has been visiting the hot dog stand for the past 35 years and knows the owners well.

The Pasadena resident ordered hot dogs for his family Tuesday. He waited for his food by a sign hanging on the outside of the Pup's wall, featuring the owners posing with prominent celebrity patrons such as Ice Cube, Whoopi Goldberg, Kevin Dillon, Lionel Richie and Verne Troyer (a.k.a "Austin Powers'" Mini-Me).

For others, Tuesday marked their first experience at the Pup.

West Hollywood resident Ann Marie, 37, has lived in the area for 10 years and has frequently driven by the stand while running errands, but had never stopped to get a hot dog.

After reading a newspaper article about the Pup's possible departure from the area, Marie stopped to order a Boston Celtic hot dog, which comes with baked beans, mustard and onions.

Marie said the stand's potential move is indicative of a larger change the city of West Hollywood is undergoing.

"The city's changing. When a city grows, little things like this (stand) are displaced," she said. "It's progress, but it's sad, too."

Westwood residents David and Maria Radell, who have been ordering Pup hot dogs for 30 years, are skeptical of the development company's motives for wanting to move the Pup so quickly. David Radell said Blake was told by Regency developers to move the stand within three weeks, despite the fact that the terms of Blake's potential lease in Westwood are still being negotiated.

If the Pup does end up in Westwood Village, the Radells said new Westwood customers and the Pup would both benefit.

"There are no good hot dogs in Westwood. I'm positive that (the Pup) would do great," David Radell said.

But the retired professor thinks that if the stand moves it will lose an important part of its appeal – the atmosphere.

He said he enjoys the scenery around the stand as much as the food.

The Radells eat at the Pup at least twice a week, sometimes sitting for hours after a meal to admire the scenic Hollywood Hills to the north and the facades of the tall buildings to the south.

Radell said the Pup's location offers a rural feel in the middle of a bustling business district, something that could not be duplicated if the stand were to move to Westwood.

But what will not change is the familiarity with which Blake treats his customers, Radell said.

"If (Blake) serves you twice, the next time you come he'll remember who you are and what you ordered," he explained.

Maria Radell said an e-mail campaign is being put together in an attempt to persuade the developers from moving the Pup.

But whether the Pup stays at its current location or not, the quality of the food will stay the same.

"I was married to a French chef for 20 years; I know good food. This is well-made, good food," said Laurel Canyon resident Nancy Frank, as she finished munching on a hot dog.

Velas
Modern Master

Postby Velas » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:59 pm

ouch.
ww.panoramaonview.org

SkipHome
Modern Master

TAIL O' PUP IS GONE

Postby SkipHome » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:28 pm

i just went by 929 n san vicente to have one last guilty pleasure lunch at the tail o' the pup and IT'S GONE!
when did this happen? west hollywood or westwood or oblivion?
i can't believe that rat trap on santa monica blvd spawned a protest movement and a website, and the pup goes without a whimper!

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Re: TAIL O' PUP IS GONE

Postby Synthetrix » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:34 pm

SkipHome wrote:i just went by 929 n san vicente to have one last guilty pleasure lunch at the tail o' the pup and IT'S GONE!
when did this happen? west hollywood or westwood or oblivion?
i can't believe that rat trap on santa monica blvd spawned a protest movement and a website, and the pup goes without a whimper!

Wow, that happened quick. Anyone know the new location? If there is one that is.
Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:15 am

According to Kevin at L.A. Observed, it's in storage>>

The Pup is gone *

Drove down San Vicente to confirm what I heard tonight at the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee holiday party in Holmby Hills: Tail o' the Pup's giant hot dog has been removed and the iconic stand north of Beverly Center is boarded up. Apparently the dog was placed in storage while talks continue over possible relocation to Westwood Village. Tail o' the Pup has been there since 1985, when it moved from La Cienega (where it had been since 1946.) The new owner of the property wants to build a home for gay and lesbian seniors. [* Regent Properties clarifies: "The project includes condominiums and an affordable housing complex that may be managed by Gay and Lesbian Elder Housing."] The Modcom party was at the former Gary Cooper estate designed by A. Quincy Jones. Now the home of David Bohnett and Tom Gregory, it was recently redesigned by Mark Rios and features a sweeping entry walk with a sculpture wall (by Brad Howe) so dramatic that it has its own website. Julius Shulman, the 95-year-old photographer whose exhibit continues at the Getty Museum until January 22, was among those in attendance.

http://laobserved.com/

Bernstein
Modern Groupie

Tail O' the Pup

Postby Bernstein » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:04 pm

The Blake family, which has owned the Pup since 1975, put the stand into storage this week but has posted a message at the site promising that Tail O' the Pup will return. The family is taking a vacation break over the holidays and will evaluate its various site options for relocation early in 2006. Conservancy staff is in regular contact with both Regent Properties and the Blake family and will be monitoring this situation to ensure that Tail O' the Pup gets relocated appropriately and remains an important roadside landmark of Los Angeles.

Ken Bernstein
Director of Preservation Issues
Los Angeles Conservancy

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby lasvegaslynn » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:41 pm

Thank you Ken for that update. Truly appreciated by all of us, I'm sure.

What's that line from Men In Black:

"All Hail K!"

Respectfully,
Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:08 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:20 am

December, 2005

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:03 pm

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Quite a tale for the Pup
They've long been holding the mustard and everything else at Tail o' the Pup, the landmark L.A. hot dog stand that continues to sit at a warehouse since being evicted from its home five years ago.

By Bob Pool
April 11, 2010

Los Angeles' most famous hot dog bun needs a roll.

Trouble is, Tail o' the Pup owner Dennis Blake doesn't have a place to roll it to.

The landmark hot dog stand that resembles a mustard-slathered wienie-in-a-bun -- featured in movies and music videos and considered an important piece of L.A. architecture -- has sat on wheels and been covered with a tarp in a Torrance warehouse since being evicted five years ago from its longtime home...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 7697.story

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:47 am

Grainy, blurred footage of a gagged and bound Tail 'o the Pup, covered in a blue tarp and cowering in the corner, appears in the new film Things that aren't here anymore 3, which aired recently on KCET. The owner claims to be waiting to find just the right spot to resurrect the beloved hot dog stand. All you realtors out there take note.

http://www.kcet.org/shows/things_that_a ... e-iii.html

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:25 am

Wow! In all of LA, there is no place for Tail of the Pup?
It's not like it needs much space.

Downtown Dan
Modern Groupie

Update anyone?

Postby Downtown Dan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:20 am

Hi. Is there any update on this? I would like to see it come back and think I know a good location for it. Any idea how to contact the family?

Thanks!
Dan

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”