Aku Aku Motor Inn to Change from Tiki to Mediterranean

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

mtwall
Modern Master

Aku Aku Motor Inn to Change from Tiki to Mediterranean

Postby mtwall » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:05 pm

The Aku Aku Motor Inn (located on Ventura Blvd. just east of Topanga Canyon in Woodland Hills -- phone: 818-340-1000) in all its original tiki glory will soon be remodeled to look....MEDITERRANEAN!!!!! aaaaarrrgghhh... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Add it to the growing list of great Valley landmarks to be destroyed, like the doomed/domed Valley Music Theater down the street and the A.Q. Jones designed Woodland Hills library that met the wrecking ball a few years ago. Is there now or should there be a valley arm of Preserve L.A. and ModCom? hmmm...

(Joe, Craig & I think you may be the last person from this board who actually stayed at the Aku Aku in its present tiki form...)

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:21 pm

YUK yuk yuk yukyukykuykukykuykjuykykykykkykuyk

actually the los angeles conservancy charter (or whatever they call it) says they are to support preservation of buildings in the city of and/or county of l.a. and the san fernando valley is roughly 1/3 the footprint of the city of los angeles. although it never gets any respect.
that strip of ventura blvd in woodland hills still has a lot of great stuff. (my favorites are the #1 son chinese restaurant sign and my brother's BBQ giant roof cow)

is there any way you could get to the next modcom meeting and bring up the Valley Music Center - that really concerns me and it should not go down without a fight. you should consider taking this one on mt. i know the current modcom chair adriene would certainly give you support as a valley resident, too.

FYI the woodland hills library was actually done by the firm of Bowerman and hobson (not jones - i know i wrote the failed nomination) - with ralph bowerman being the principle architect - he went on to be the chief architect of Magic Mountain - check out the few remaining earliest structures there sometimes. he also designed and built his own home a few blocks behind that library. one of his 2 his sons, mark, is a well known muralist in l.a. (you've probably seen his work under the overpass at the hollywood freeway cahuenga offramp. (i call it stick figure family)

Bowerman and hobson also designed the canoga park branch library - which basically cindy misikowski and the library folks made into a local landmark (offered as a peace offering after demolishing the better designed woodland hills branch). now the canoga park branch sits empty getting more and more decrepit every day - it's a dog gone shame.

bummer about the aku, but i suspect it's a lost cause, but Valley Music center has a slim chance. i really hope you'll think about trying to save it.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:25 pm

that's unfortunate, but not surprising.

when I stayed there, they had just completed the interior. Nice for a motel, but too formal. I figured something was up.

The exterior has some cool details and the pool area would be cool for outdoor functions. Do they just not care the motel has been published in several books?

mtwall
Modern Master

Postby mtwall » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:02 pm

Joe -- No, they do not care. They see the Aku Aku as an anachronism that must be surgically altered to "fit in". Another day, another tragedy...

MM -- Yes, you are right and i will be there Monday 11/21 for the ModCom meeting. Thx for the encouragement.

I heard very late in the game about the Valley Music Theater. :oops: For me, that was the proverbial last straw. I so hope it's not too late.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Lynxwiler » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:00 pm

What's the signage like on the Aku Aku? Worth preserving or is it too late ya think? Sorry, but I'm not familiar with it.

mtwall
Modern Master

Postby mtwall » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:32 pm

No cool signage, sadly. Just great tiki teepees, front and rear with beams carved in pig face silhouettes and other such things. U kinda hafta see it...b4 it's gone, that is...

Velas
Modern Master

Postby Velas » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:58 pm

ww.panoramaonview.org

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby nichols » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:40 pm

mtwall
Modern Master

Link to Photos of Valley Music Theater

Postby mtwall » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:34 pm

See the thread on the Valley Music Theater for more info and pictures.

Velas
Modern Master

Postby Velas » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:11 am

oh i totally know that building!

weird!

its a round building!

any one want to make a a pano-ra-ma there?!
ww.panoramaonview.org

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:33 pm

Can someone make a quick gift/loan of Sven Kirsten's Book of Tiki to these guys?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/382282 ... s&v=glance

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Re: Aku Aku Motor Inn to Change from Tiki to Mediterranean

Postby tikiyaki » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:31 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:17 pm

we stayed here on sunday night.
i took some pictures which i will post as soon as i am back home.
the pool area is still charming, but i understand after seeing that the exterior beams were not well taken care of over the years - some wood rot issues, etc.

more later.

mtwall
Modern Master

Postby mtwall » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:05 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:29 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:51 pm

here are my pics from January

if they do gut the exterior, I would like one of the cheering little fish faces on the front of the building :cry:

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:42 am

i forsee a dumpster "dive" for fishies in our future... please keep an eye on them.

mtwall
Modern Master

Postby mtwall » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:25 pm

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:04 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:45 am

i'll be in woodland hills tomorrow - i'll drive by and check.

Marcala
Modern Socialite

Aku Aku Motor Inn

Postby Marcala » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:59 pm

I work not far from there. Drove by this evening and the "remodel" has begun.

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:22 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:53 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:26 pm

(curbed l.a.)

Ack Ack Aku Aku

Oh, Aku Aku. Why have the Tiki gods forsaken thee? It appears the conversion of the Aku Aku Motor Inn on Ventura Boulevard in Woodland Hills is very close to completion. Any remnants of the former Tiki themed motel are now wiped away by a tide of yellow stucco, faux stone, and crown moldings, also known as contemporary Caliterranean. We'll always have the memories. So long old Tiki friend.

http://la.curbed.com/

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:25 pm

[ v o m i t ]

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:34 pm

THAT SUCKS!

Just like what happened to the Anaheim motels.

TomL
Modern Fan

Postby TomL » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:48 pm

That's sad. I use to live in the Valley at one point (Chatsworth "armpit of the Valley"). Is the Batman-A-Go-Go still around? It was still there at the end of the '80s. How about Cupids Hot Dogs?

2Tone
Modern Socialite

Postby 2Tone » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:39 pm

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:13 pm

Oh, I just lost my lunch.

FinFan
Modern Socialite

Postby FinFan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:36 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”