New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Sorry about the miss-post

Postby johnnyapollo » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:51 pm

Hey y'all,

I didn't see this thread and already started a "hi I'm a newbie thread" here:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2561

Greetings from an Atlanta resident!

-- Best, John

LionHeart
Modern Groupie

Postby LionHeart » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:40 am

rubyred
Modern Fan

Postby rubyred » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:18 pm

i did not see this thread either, b ut had it sent to me so I shall post here as well. My name is Ruby,and I am stay at home Mom to three teen girls. I have always been into the retro culture, but do not know as much as most of my on line friends, but love learning about it. I normally hang out at Port Halcyon's message boards and love it there, but am always looking for new pals to chat with :D
Recently we just moved from California to Texas, and we got a great house, of which I am busy decorating with a mix of mid-century modern replicals, and a few authentic decor pieces as I find them...centering on late 50's thru 60's with a bit of today thrown in....I love the atomic *** tiki look, though have had fun doing kids game room very hippy LOL, black light, rock posters, and beads and giant Lava lamp too!
I dress retro many times all eras from 40's-60's, and enjoy doing so, I like the movies of the eras I have mentioned, the music too! Anyways that is a bit about me..... :cheers:

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Happy Holidays

Postby SDR » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:03 pm

Happy Holidays, December newbies (and all others) -- now that you're here, don't get lost! Tell us more, about where you live, what you like and how you dream. . .

Bender sez so. *** ***

rubyred
Modern Fan

Postby rubyred » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:58 am

:lol: well let me see I did some of that :P Hmmmm, just let me grab a chair, or maybe you should :h: could take a while LOL I have very strange dreams hrrrr doctor! Very strange! The retro mind is a trip indeed!

Collections wise, well that changes with my moods, sometimes pearls and vintage earrings and pins, right now, what with a new home, books on reto design, vases, cocktail/bar gear :cheers: , and just got a coupleof Snoopy items the other day.....rather at a loss as to what to put on my big old shelving unit in my family room to accentuate the whole 60's vibe, and make it fun! So anyone on another thread ANYONE ,ANYONE ( over used movie quote!) I collected vintage looking xmas stuff recently...the list could go on and on...Back to where I live...told you retro mind scarry! I live in a tiny burb called Katy Proper, within Katy Tx, that is just outside Houston Texas....is anyone out here in Texas?

Thanks for the warm welcome :wink:

JuanStudioCity
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mid Century ROCKS!

Postby JuanStudioCity » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:20 am

My name is Juan, live in the Valley! ***

Have a 1949 ranch home, furnished with Heywood Wakefield.

Re-doing backyard next year hopefully with a tiki/retro feel.

Looking forward to more involvement with Modcom!

:cheers:

rubyred
Modern Fan

Postby rubyred » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:32 am

Howdy Juan! I am meeting with landscaper this week to do up my Tiki party central back yard! Would love any ideas that you have to share. :idea: I dreamed of owning a ranch house, but alas got this home I live in now, not anywhere near a ranch, but certainly putting my ranch stamp on it with ideas from Atomic Ranch mag for my stair case, and fireplace surround, to Dwell and Inspired home as well, for re-creating the look without all the cost factor... will look forward to reading of your progress! :cheers:

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:59 am

rubyred
Modern Fan

Postby rubyred » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:52 am

tikiriviera
Modern Fan

Postby tikiriviera » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:31 am

Hello everyone,

I just learned of this site thru tikicentral. Recently I purchased a 1958 ranch style house in Seattle, and i'm trying to incorporate as much mid century style into the house as possible. Suggestions and ideas are welcome! As soon as I figure out this site, I will try to post some pictures
of what i've accomplished so far. thanks

rubyred
Modern Fan

Postby rubyred » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:33 am

welcome :cheers:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:19 am

Welcome tikiriviera.

Being in the Northwest, you can take advantage of having a japanese garden, which were quite popular in the '50s and '60s. Many of the plants are native to your area and are easy to get. Best of all, easy to maintain.

I live in Oregon in a 1955 modern ranch home designed by Cliff May. My wife and I recently put in a japanese garden and we are please. We too like tiki and find it easy to incorporate the right elements. The co-designed of our house, Chris Choate, was heavily influenced by 19th century japanese architecture and his influence is evident in our home. Much or mid-century modern architecture was influenced by 19th century japan.

Be sure to check house THE RANCH HOUSE by Alan Hess, the author of "Googie" and "Palm Springs Weekend", among others.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

You can upload photos to the gallery, or in your message if you host your own images. Check out the FAQ that. For the gallery, check out this post http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=5913#5913

Be sure to use the search link at the top to review past discussions on particular topics. The residential forum is good for home/landscape discussions. Collecting is great for furniture and fun ebay finds. The Mondo Lounge, of course, is for anything.

Welcome!

Miss Brandy Alexander
Modern Groupie

Visiting LA in April

Postby Miss Brandy Alexander » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I live in Melbourne, Australia, and I'm a copywriter, burlesque dancer and dedicated ebayer. :wink:

I'll be making a trip to LA in April, and I'll be staying in Burbank, were I hope to see some great modern landmarks.

While browsing the Lotta Livin' site, I was thrilled to find the list of "How modern was my valley" locations, and now I'm hoping to score a copy of the booklet with driving directions. Does anyone know where I can find one?

I've also read about John English's Googie tours. Are they still going?

Cheers,
Miss Brandy

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:39 pm

The Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (www.modcom.org) was the sponsor the the "How Modern Was My Valley" tour in 2000. The Conservancy office has recently unearthed a small number of the booklets, which are being offered for sale. Please call 213-623-2489 or email info (at) laconservancy.org for more information.

Googie Tours is officially offline, but you might try Mr. English at 323-666-9623 and see what he suggests.

You may also wish to take a Los Angeles Conservancy walking tour: http://laconservancy.org/tours/tours_main.php4

I believe "Beyond the Glitz" tours is out of business, but you might try to contact them for recommendations: http://web.archive.org/web/200208021151 ... glitz.com/

Consider one of Laura Massino's tours at Architecture Tours L.A.
http://www.architecturetoursla.com/

Miss Brandy Alexander
Modern Groupie

Thanks!

Postby Miss Brandy Alexander » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:33 pm

A-ha! Just the information I need... And then some!

Thanks so much,

Julie
x

davidk6
Special Secret Modern Agent
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:08 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:20 pm

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:16 pm

Uh... hi. I'm new here. 8-[

Let's see, I grew up in Westchester, so I was surrounded by landmarks like the Loyola Theatre (DON'T get me started :evil:), Panns, the now-Randy's Donuts, the LAX Theme Building, the now-Mervyn's (hey! let me park on the roof, darnit!), the old McDonald's on LaTijera before they tore it down in '76 for a "modern" one (grr), etc.

I'm in Glendale now, but I'm just getting sick of constantly finding more and more great coffee shops, burger stands, bowling alleys, theatres, motels, etc. torn down and replaced with generic Walgreens boxes, or remodeled beyond recognition in an attempt to look like every other single building on the block, with a generic McSign in front replacing a neon masterpiece, all in the name of "beautification."

It's just nice to find other people who think the same way.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:03 am

Matt Deckard
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Matt Deckard » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:29 pm

Hello. I'll have to check out this site more often. I usually hang out on the fedora lounge which is mor of a 1930's 40's lounge, though my taste has been leaning toward that late 50's early 60's James Bond look as of late and this seams to be a more suiting place to find that style.

By the By, Too bad to hear that Johnny Carson passed away so soon, he will be missed. I just love looking at those old pics of him in the early 60's... you can just see how well the suits fit back then wth the higher armholes. Today's suits are just too baggy and the armholes are cut too big.
Looking for my Emma Peel.

END OF LINE.
www.mattdeckard.com

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:19 am

hiya Matt! welcome on board!
hope you'll keep us up to date on various fedora / swing related events here...

stolitx
Modern Groupie

New Member - MCM owner in Houston

Postby stolitx » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:51 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:36 am

hey there stolitx. good to have another texan on the board. The Residential forum is loaded with folks what chat about restoring and maintain mid-century modern homes all over the country! They're special homes with special needs and often people don't know where to start. Most contractors and big box home stores employees don't get it.

The Collecting forum is great to talk about your latest yard sale find, your favorite chair or table, or your quest for he right period entry light on ebay.

If you're not quite sure about other topics, the Mondo Lounge is good for a couple drinks, and of course, there's the ModCom Main discussion. If there is an event coming up in H town, let us know on the Events board.

Welcome!

featherfingers
Modern Groupie

I'm Glad To Be Here!

Postby featherfingers » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:47 am

"The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make" ~ The Beatles

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:26 am

jennstall
Modern Groupie

Postby jennstall » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:05 pm

3hbulldogs
Modern Groupie

Hi ... Rejoined the board after 2 years

Postby 3hbulldogs » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:10 pm

freeda
Modern Socialite

Postby freeda » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:55 am

Hiya. I'm in southwest Michigan, and just this summer bought house that I believe is from 1954. It's my first experience with a mid-century home, as I grew up in a Victorian.

This house is cool... big rooms, lots of square footage. Radiant baseboard heat and a slab floor, flat roof, two-sided fireplace, tiny high windows, and low low ceilings. It's a challenge, but I love it.

Where else can you get 2200 square feet for 120K but in Michigan... :wink: That much square footage with a postage stamp yard is selling for 2-3 times that just down the street... new mcmansions. Blech.

Here's an album of some of the destruction that has taken place in the past 6 months. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=3396720093 The last 3 pics are just mental notes of stuff I plan on buying, so ignore those.

Turned out we had termites when we ripped out the kitchen cupboards, so that's a pain in the butt... they're very common here. But it's coming along, slow but sure.

vintagegal
Modern Groupie

Postby vintagegal » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:07 pm

Hi! I'm new to mid-century design, but am glad to have found this board! I don't know anyone with similar interests, and it's great to be able to get opinions and have discussions. Our house was built in 1949, not a fancy affair, but with the requisite knotty-pine paneled room and one bath, pink and mauve tiled.

In just the last few months, we have acquired a George Mulhauser Plycraft chair, a Heywood-Wakefield hutch on server (M175 on M190), and a Saarinen womb chair. Now I have imposed strict standards on incoming furniture, as we have six chairs and a couch in our living room!

I love all things mid-century, from 1940s to early 60s. Advertising, pin-ups, vintage clothing, furniture, kitchenwares, records, etc. I prefer to buy old things instead of new.

Jennstall- I also collect vintage Barbie! Mainly the 1959-1966 era, but a lot of Mods have crept into my collection, as well. It's great to meet everyone!

retrOKC
Modern Socialite

Postby retrOKC » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:05 pm

I guess I should have started here.

We moved to Tulsa from Sacramento at the beginning of 2005. We like all things from the middle of the century.

I will be sure post photos of our Lortondale home in the future.

I am sure I will be asking questions as well as trying to answer what I can.
Mike

Action movie fans, we need your help!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”