New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:43 am

[Bender sorry. Bender get carried away. . .

Bender be good now.]

Tiky 71
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tiky 71 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:06 pm

I loved modern furniture from the moment I saw my first blond oak furniture set in 1945 in a hotel as I waited for my husband to return from combat in Germany. Now my grandchildren are using the Widdicomb Table, Glenn of California chairs, Knoll chests, Eames chairs, Russell Wright dishes, etc. Modern is here to stay. It will only become more expensive. I have a large TV set, a Philco Silver Ghost with the reverse mirror in a lovely very modern black Mandarin cabinet, circa 1945. It was bought by the former owner of my Cliff May house so he could watch the 1946 Rose Bowl football game and was the first such TV in S.D.. It worked in 1963 in the Communications exhibit at the Museum of Man exhibit. Any suggestions of what to do with it? Tiky 71
Information and facts. No silly, angry diatribes or personal or political emails.

Barry Peterson
Modern Fan

Postby Barry Peterson » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:17 pm

Thank you...LA Kevin.

Are you....

Are you one...too? |:(
Deliberate Design + Architecture

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:05 pm

Wish we could claim more members of the "second oldest profession" -- we surely have a lot of "consumers of architecture"! No shortage of members of other artistic and technical professions, either, and all coming at mid-century (and other modern) architecture (and accessories) from every direction. . .

Profiles of individuals often reveal their backgrounds, and the real estate interests have recently been encouraged with their own category on the boards ("We like to. . .look" to misquote Chauncey Gardener.)! and all with an eye (and some real sweat and perseverance) on behalf of preservation -- with several saints, to say the least.

Don't be shy -- there are people every day, desperately seeking. . .solutions, encouragement, discipline. . .(oops), from any enthusiastic -- or even tolerant -- building professionals and/or fellow sufferers.

The level of devotion to these building ideas and artifacts is really heart-warming, to an old-fart modernist from wayback. . .

SDR
Last edited by SDR on Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FREY LOVE
Modern Groupie

Gotta Save FREY Every Which Way!

Postby FREY LOVE » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:03 pm

Greetings. My name is Jade Thomas Nelson and I'm a new member of Lotta Livin' but have been visiting the site for a couple years. Such a great resource. And now, a great perfect tool for my concerns/rants! I was born and raised in Palm Springs, having lived here on & off for 30 years. I went to elementary school in an Albert Frey school(demolished), remember going to the original Frey DMV here in PS, got gas at his Tramway gas station, shopped in Frey buildings, and have even been in some of his buldings altered beyond belief. To top it all off, I was lucky enough to meet and speak with Frey at his home, Frey House II, a couple years before his death...I even have photos. He was a simple, kind Swiss man who was always serious yet geneorus when speaking of architecture and his work. SO, for me it was just a normal part of my everyday life and childhood to grow up in and around his buildings which have always been a constant part of my landscape.
WHICH brings me to why I've finally joined this incredible online community...
At least once a week for 25 years, I have driven down HWY 111 to pass Cree House II on the outskirts of Palm Springs upon entering Cathedral City. I've always admired this FREY house on its hillside perch behind the former A.Quincy Jones designed nightclub/lounge, Romanoff's on the Rocks. I long assumed the home was privately owned and on its own parcel. That may have once been the case, BUT NOW, the home and its 8 acre parcel of land are part of the total 11 acre parcel on which this beautifully intact home sits. AND, the property is for currently sale by a commercial real estate company. One must purchase the altered, blighted night club to get the well-preserved home. Not to mention the house is now 50 years old and easily qualifies for historic site status. Unfortunately, Cathedral City has no programs in place which I'm aware of to protect this sublime piece of architecture by the foremost architect of the Coachella Valley. Frankly, I am making it my mission to make sure this FREY HOUSE is saved every which way possible and welcome all those ready, willing, able and interested to join me! THANKS...

Sincerely,
Jade Thomas Nelson
Manager, Orbit In Hotel
Member, Palm Springs Preservation Foundation
Member, Architecture + Design Council, PS Desert Museum
Devout Frey Fan
FOR THE LOVE OF FREY, LET'S HONOR HIM AND ASSURE SURVIVAL OF CREE HOUSE 1952-57 IN PALM SPRINGS/CATHEDRAL CITY FOREVER!!!

ats3d
Modern Groupie

Hello everybody

Postby ats3d » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:48 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:44 am

ats3d
Modern Groupie

Postby ats3d » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:24 pm

Hello Futura Girl,

Its funny, because we were actually looking in Balboa Highlands but this opportunity came up in Encino Hills which actually works better for us commute-wise etc.

House was build in 1964, designed by architect Harlan Lee, two story, flat roof, clean lines - Great bones, but had the design sensibilities of the previous owner (imagine Al Bundy moving into an Eichler and you get the idea). We'll probably send a before/after into Atomic Ranch when we are done and see what happens.

We didn't go completely mid-century on the interior, there are a few more updated, and zen-like influcences, but we did make pretty good use of sputnik lighting, noguchi etc. Landsaped the front and back with festuca, rosemary and lavendar.

Still a work in progress, but thanks for asking!
Al

jennincat
Modern Groupie

Postby jennincat » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:07 pm

Hello,
My name is Jenn. I found this site through livemodern.com. My husband and I live in Ventura with our two little boys and two little pugs. Both of us are big fans of the modernism. I don't know as much as I would like about the hisory of it. Since I was a kid, I have loved the aestetic of it. I hope I will be able to learn more about the history through these boards. Just wanted to say hello.
Jenn

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:13 pm

Welcome Jenn, thanks for stopping by.

Many of the Lotta Livin living members are just like you. Some of us are home owners, architects, designers, collectors, and just plain ole fans of Modernism, especially post war Modernism (1945-65).

As you can see, we have several forums tailored to different topics, like restoring and renovating your home; collecting art, furniture, cars; preservation activism, real estate, event postings, and the mondo lounge is for "whatever", like scooters, movies, fashion, music, retro lifestyle, and everything else under the Starburst Sun!

Be sure to search old threads and past conversations for tons of information. You're welcome ask us any questions you may have, or start a new thread anytime!

Just dive right in, the water is fine!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

midcenturymadam
Modern Fan

Postby midcenturymadam » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:39 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

ats3d posted

Postby modfan » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:23 am

[quote]House was build in 1964, designed by architect Harlan Lee, two story, flat roof, clean lines - Great bones, but had the design sensibilities of the previous owner (imagine Al Bundy moving into an Eichler and you get the idea). We'll probably send a before/after into Atomic Ranch when we are done and see what happens.

We didn't go completely mid-century on the interior, there are a few more updated, and zen-like influcences, but we did make pretty good use of sputnik lighting, noguchi etc. Landsaped the front and back with festuca, rosemary and lavendar.

Still a work in progress, but thanks for asking[quote]

I remember the Lee Homes-Harlan Lee and (?) Lasky-I think it's been thru several transformations and I think is now LeeHomes.net-still building homes in infill locations try a paste and copy into your browser and see what they are now building - nothing like the homes 'of old' ,they built I think as far s. as Mission Viejo. And also a tract I think called 'Escalon' around your locale. I just drove thru your neighborhood and some cool homes and not too many remuddled.

sundaygirl
Modern Groupie

Hi

Postby sundaygirl » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:59 pm

Hello everyone! I've been lurking here for a while and I'm happy to be joined up. Looking forward to learning more from y'all!
Melissa

Matt Deckard
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Hi

Postby Matt Deckard » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:55 am

Looking for my Emma Peel.

END OF LINE.
www.mattdeckard.com

aluxeterna
Modern Groupie

Hello from Los Angeles

Postby aluxeterna » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:42 am

Interrobang: The punctuation mark of the 20th Century, "expressing the incredulity of modern life."

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

NXNW House

Postby Chimay » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:56 am

MCM50
Modern Groupie

new modernist

Postby MCM50 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:35 pm

Hey all. I was turned on to this site by Diva. I'm a former New Yorker now living in Long Beach, CA. This past year I've discovered my love for midcentury architecture, and design. Bought a condo in LB about a year ago and have done some major renovations to instill a mid-century sensibility. Looking forward to lotta learnin' and livin' here.

60000MPH
Modern Master

Postby 60000MPH » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:43 pm

imikejones
Modern Groupie

newbie too

Postby imikejones » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:00 pm

I'm a newbie joining the forum.

I live in S. Florida in a 1950 Key West style house in Lake Worth (near Palm Beach), furnished retro/tiki/atomic mod, aka a Shag painting (extensive shag collection as lifestyle accoutrements!).

Inbide in aged rum, travel extensively, own a small boat, and run the world's largest dive/snorkel/tropical apparel retail business. Former 70's NYC punk (feeding ground for S. Florida!), enjoy regrae, soca, calypso.

Any other local Floridians out there?[/b]

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:18 am

Welcome, MCM50 and imikejones. NY'ers in South Florida and LB! Cool. imikejones, sound like you're livin an exciting life. Hope to hear more. MCM50, you can't go wrong with mid-century sensibility! I am doing the same with my place, going on three years now.

J. Chas Carpenter: WOW, you dug deep for that quote! P&K tracts are well documented on this board. Use the search function and you'll find tons! Mind you, P&K designed for hundreds of builders. I don't know if we'll ever find all of their tracts. I do hope to map all the tracts. I went through the Valley recently and saw several P&K tracts. Remember, not all of their homes are like what you see in Palm Springs. P&K also have tracts in OC, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas.

coreyo
Modern Fan

Postby coreyo » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:58 pm

60000MPH
Modern Master

Postby 60000MPH » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:03 pm

P&K tracts are well documented on this board. Use the search function and you'll find tons! Mind you, P&K designed for hundreds of builders. I don't know if we'll ever find all of their tracts. I do hope to map all the tracts. I went through the Valley recently and saw several P&K tracts. Remember, not all of their homes are like what you see in Palm Springs. P&K also have tracts in OC, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas.[/quote]

Joe,

I am using the search function and still we need to know more. I suggest we throw ourselves at the holders of the various firms archives. The archives will all eventually be sealed somewhere. Why not start a nonprofit with a main function to digitally photograph specific plans and elevations? I have seen everything being offered at this time from 300 to 800 dollars a set and I think one can do better from a preservation standpoint and secure the original ideals for the future, this is really what the designers were doing too. The movement is again being muddled by tracts like the Contempo deal. This is easily noted to be the mutation. I contest such abominations and implore everyone on this list to study and learn about affordable modern happy house construction. MAny positive and important advances in the building industry in recent years can and will be meshed with the modern plan.

Moderns unite!

Jason

mod-kc
Modern Groupie

kc newbie

Postby mod-kc » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:27 pm

hey everyone, another kc mod impressed with LIVIN'

my friend, moderns-r-us, has been trying to get me in here for a year. i'm currently a national marketing coordinator for a franchise corporation and have a crazy past.

in 1997 i was inspired by a house i saw in arch digest by BCJ. so, like most, i read and read and read. i got as much of an education as i could and decided that i was going to build an affordable modern home some day.

the landscape around me consists of sprawling cookie-cutter mcm. i've always had an interest in modern architecture, but never thought a modern home was attainable.

so, on to my past. I own a painting contracting business as well. so, i figure i can build a house. LOL.....

at this time DWELL hits and confirms everything i set out to do in the beginning.

go through 3 arch, to assist with my vision...LOL.....basically got a planning set of drawings...LOL.....and broke ground OCT 10, 2002.

OHHHHHHHH....and by the way.... i decided i would construct the house too. i had no experience, shot a nail gun a few times, but never framed anything, etc...

18 months, 7 days a week, long nights of research...etc, etc...etc..ready to jump off a cliff......... and then this guy walks in my house and introduces himself.....another arch...LOL....i was pretty rude..had no interest in gettting to know him....etc....pretty nice but he was an arch....

so, he stops by about once a week for a while ...friendship starts to develop and i begin to stop hatin'.... start likin', respectin' and listenin'

this is where it gets good....so, we have lunch and he shows me his portfoliio------AND THERE IT WAS------the BCJ house from 1997 that inspired me in the beginning....the house that catapulted me into this crazy mess....that house was built on the east coast and this guy is the project manager for BCJ....did much of the detail work etc.......and he ends up on my doorstep in kc....WOW!!!!!!!

the friendship was destined at this point and, i have to say, i have better understanding of people and arch now....

moderns-r-us....kept me sane in the last days of consturction.....didn't interfere with what i was doing.......didn't try to change my direction for his benefit...just did what a good arch should do.......LISTEN!.....so, as a friend he answered my questions and got my mind back on track.... THX.......moderns-r-us.....keep fighting the good fight....

So, i finished my modern home in 22 months and moved in late 2004.............

Burnout....sent me to the corp world....BUT THAT FIRE IS HOT AGAIN

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:48 pm

welcome, mod-kc!

"my friend, moderns-r-us, has been trying to get me in here for a year. i'm currently a national marketing coordinator for a franchise corporation and have a crazy past."

-you're a friend of mru? I am sorry! crazy pasts are OK here.

"in 1997 i was inspired by a house i saw in arch digest by BCJ. so, like most, i read and read and read. i got as much of an education as i could and decided that i was going to build an affordable modern home some day."

-Being from the NW, I have been inspired by BCJ homes too! The Point House is my fave. affordable modern homes has been a goal for several folks lately, unfortunetly, not much is happening.

"the landscape around me consists of sprawling cookie-cutter mcm. i've always had an interest in modern architecture, but never thought a modern home was attainable."

Every urban area is seeing the same thing. Planning is horrid. Land costs are forcing builders to build larger home to balance thing. Amazingly, there are enough folks who will buy the crap. Land prices are jacking up the prices of older homes too. My 1200 sqft Cliff May designed house in Oregon cost $170K. The same exact house in SoCal is selling for $700K on a smaller lot!

FYI, on this board, mcm means mid-century modern ;-)

"so, on to my past. I own a painting contracting business as well. so, i figure i can build a house. LOL..... "

-I have five fraternity brothers who are either paint contractors or sell paint! I used to design packaging for Snow Roof Systems.

well, I hope you enjoy Lotta Living. It's makes the mid-century modern design world a little smaller.

:cheers:

mod-kc
Modern Groupie

Postby mod-kc » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:11 am

CRAZY SMALL WORLD!

THX JOE

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

To mod-kc....

Postby roadsidepictures » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:51 am

roxy500
Modern Master

new here

Postby roxy500 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:40 pm

Hi MCM Peeps,

I'm a long time listener, first time poster.

Our mid century modern home is in Seattle, WA. We are enjoying the sloping high ceilings, clerestory windows. slate entry and monolithic fireplace of our new-to-us home. I've always wanted this style of house! We are still learning about our home and slowly figuring out what changes have been made - super bad front door, to start. The carpeted concrete slab foundation could be a future project - like Sid did - and we've recently been putting some energy into the wild yard. The latest consideration is to un-finish the "finished" garage and restore it back to it's glory. I'm thrilled to find such a forum for inspiration from like-housed people.

-roxy500

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:00 am

Welcome Roxy.

Maybe you could post some pics of your little MCM gem!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:35 pm

good to see another MCM fan from the Northwest on the board, even if you are from Seattle! ;-)

Just joking. Be sure to post some pix!

roxy500
Modern Master

pics

Postby roxy500 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:18 am

I'll take some shots today - it's very sunny, believe it or not - after I clean up some of our clutter. We'll see if I can figure out the gallery...

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”