New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:14 pm

Hey, good work ! Welcome to LL, and thanks for bringing us your very interesting photos and notes. Looks like Pennsacola has a one-man MCM preservation force -- and now we're in on the secret !

Don't stop now. . .

SDR :cheers:
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

TCManny
Modern Groupie

New Member Manny

Postby TCManny » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:13 pm

:D Hey MODCOMers!

I'm Manny from Temple City Historical Society. I first heard about MODCOM through Chris Nichols, after discussing the possibility of acquiring an old Winchells sign for our museum. I attended my first meeting in November, and I've been hooked ever since! Loved Forest Lawn Museum, Gary Cooper's ol' mansion, Sportsmen's Lodge and Johnson Fain -- can't wait to see what's in store for March.

Random info: I'm 24 | grew up in Temple City | going into my 9th year at Historical Society | first year as President/board member | Pereira link through my alma mater UCI | Graduated in September, threw myself into Historical Society, now applying for Planning Internships -- don't worry Deb, we can infiltrate!

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:15 pm

Modern Molly
Modern Groupie

Hello everyone

Postby Modern Molly » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:18 am

"I'm in love with the modern world now
I love the modern world
Put down the cigarette
And drop out of B.U."

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:27 pm

welcome molly. Be sure to frequent the LL real estate forum for house for sale.

Finding vacant land to build a new house is nearly impossable, not just in LA, but any major metro on the west coast. I think you best bet would be to locate an MCM home. There are many timeless and "green" aspects of homes built in the '50s and early '60s.

good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

2Tone
Modern Socialite

Postby 2Tone » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:18 pm

Hey everyone,

Another new guy around here and another big fan of MCM. I am 19 and probably one of the younger members around. I look forward to making it out to a MODCOM meeting one day.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:42 pm

hey 2-tone, welcome. young is good. I am older then dirt!

Shifty
Modern Fan

Postby Shifty » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:51 pm

Hi all. 2tone ta directed me to this site and I'm very enthused about the purpose and goals that this group seeks to accomplish. I frequented Astro's in Silverlake growing up, and have always been a fan of 50's cars and the accompanying roadside architecture that made the culture of that time so special. I'd love to attend a meeting in the future, but moreso look forward to helping preservation efforts.

2Tone
Modern Socialite

Postby 2Tone » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:43 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:09 am

2Tone
Modern Socialite

Postby 2Tone » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:19 pm

Shawn
Modern Fan

Postby Shawn » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:16 pm

Hi. I'm Shawn and have always had a love for architecture. In the last couple years I've really started to love everything MCM. I have started collecting pieces here and there, do what I can to get a deal. I'm very interested in finding a MCM house but I don't know where yet. My wife and I are both new teachers and are still looking for a place to settle down. We're currently in Northern Newfoundland, Canada but are from Vancouver.

My intro to MCM came from my grandparents and to a lesser degree my parents. My grandparents had a great rancher with a massive granite corner fireplace, I think walnut panelling, and a huge expanse of glass only separated by steel posts in the living room. Sadly it was recently torn down by developers building townhouses.

Oh and I also have a huge interest in old VWs. I think the 60s type3 models are a perfect match to MCM living.

Anyway, I hope to spend some spare time here and continue to learn.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:13 pm

a squareback guy, welcome! I had 8 VWs in the past, but now ride vespas instead. I used ot have a '68 type 3. great car!

Newfoundland?! Don't think we've had a post from there before. So, are you looking to move?

Vancouver, eh? I lived in Bellingham for a while.

LL is a fun site....

Shawn
Modern Fan

Postby Shawn » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:19 am

Yes, we're looking to move in the next year or so. There is next to no following for modern design here, so its not surprising that no one from Newfoundland has posted before. The good thing is I got a cool coffee table for $50 that would have cost me easily $400 in Vancouver. I think we might end up looking in Calgary, Alberta when it comes time to leave here.

And yes I would love a squareback, or maybe a notch or fastback. Will have to wait till we have a house though.

Mark
Modern Groupie

Hello

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:13 pm

I would prefer "Modern, lived it" in my title.
I'm the son of R.M.Schindler and my first try, using search, found 300+ posts? titled Schindler. It should be moved to ModCom Main Discussion.

The first post has an introduction. I guess it should be mentioned that I am in Los Angeles.
Mark
Modern? Lived it.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:21 pm

Deco Lover
Modern Fan

Postby Deco Lover » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:53 pm

Hello fellow LL members!

My name is Christopher, and I am an Interior Designer, currently
living in N CA after being in Los Angeles, for over 20 years. I am
thankful to have found this great site, to keep me abreast of all
the preservation issues and changes that have occurred since I left.

I am both amazed and saddened at the amount of developments
and projects that are in place in Los Angeles, often at the expense
of losing its history. The uniqueness of it's architectural heritage,
is the very reason I lived there, and I am greatly concerned that
so much will destroyed, by the time I move back.

Since I discovered your site, I have been reading the various
forums for weeks, to 'catch-up' on all that has happened, and
have signed petitions to save The Derby, The Parasol, while
watching many other of my favorite places either close or risk
being demolished. It is so tragic.

I would like to hope more people would truly care about the
richness of their neighborhoods, it's history and how it effects
their lives. Hard to belive that more people are instead concerned
about moving into the latest Calitteranean-Tuscan condo complex.

Keep up the great work, and I will be reading the forums.

Christopher 8)

GladysKravitz
Modern Groupie

Postby GladysKravitz » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:34 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Re: Hello

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:52 pm

Boulder Gal
Modern Fan

Postby Boulder Gal » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:22 pm

Howdy. I found LL through a google search on MCM, I think. I'm a big fan of 50s architecture and design. My dh and I live in an interesting 1958 house which has had some not so good changes made to it... we're now facing the prospect of doing some necessary remodeling ourselves, but we'd like to do a more respectful, authentic job.

agent lemonade
Modern Fan

Postby agent lemonade » Mon May 08, 2006 8:50 am

I'm new and thought I'd stop by and say hello. My husband and I live in a 1951 white box and we are getting ready to do some remodel and additions to our lovely home. Our home is in pretty good condition but there are some things that need to be done (and added, like rooms). The previous owner I think tried to do a french country thing so definitely got to do something about that.

As far as interests, my husband and I collect records of the 60s northern soul and jamaican persuasion, mainly, and dj sometimes, when we get the chance. I'm a student currently studying fashion design.

Anyways, Hello!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu May 25, 2006 9:29 am

reverend lee
Modern Groupie

New to this list

Postby reverend lee » Thu May 25, 2006 5:08 pm

Hi all, I'm new here having just discovered this AWESOME website! I'm the happy owner of a 50's Alexander in Palm Springs and a big fan of early and mid-century architecture. also sickly obsessed with old cars and motorcycles... this seems like a great community to be a part of!

maine1962
Modern Groupie

glad to be here

Postby maine1962 » Fri May 26, 2006 10:59 am

I recently purchased a great house in Maine and have jumped fully into to this amazing intersection of design, architecture, history and hobby (obsession?) My house was bulit in 1962. I bought it from the college where I work. It had been donated when the couple that lived there won the lottery and seems as though they spent less than a month here since it was built. I found a manilla envelope in the kitchen with the manuals, receipts, and every other tiniest scrap of paper relating to the oven (Fridgidaire Custom Imperial- with the broiling/roasting pan still having all the parts neatly stacked, broiling instructions sheet, etc) the Kitchen-Aid dishwasher, the "In-Sink-erator" disposal....the house is filled with great wood and built-ins, huge Pella wood accordian doors, a lot of windows..great field stone fireplace in the den. Bathrooms with flawless and immaculate American Standard fixtures. it is truly strange how unlived-in it seems.

I am new to this in a sense...but I do have an interesting connection in that my father grew up in Zeeland Michigan (home of Herman Miller) , and my grandfather worked there--changing jobs when the started they Eames Lines. He was an original in doing the new techniques and worked on the first lounge chairs. My aunts and uncles, as well as our family, always had basements full of Herman Miller stuff my grandfather would pass along that he picked up from the factory. Of course, we thought it was ugly and
weird ! Everyone kept it in the basement. I had a Nelson bench and great credenza in my dorm room in college !

Enough rambling... I have dove headlong into this new interest as I furnish this great new place. I welcome comments, suggestions, requests... And I am happy to report the Nelson bench and two Eames chairs survived my college years and are proudly displayed in my new living room...now if I can find a sofa....

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri May 26, 2006 5:16 pm

Too cool, '62 -- great story ! Welcome to the left coast -- electronically, anyway.

Any chance you have taken pics of your new treasure -- or are there old ones out there somewhere ?

SDR

lulusgirl
Modern Fan

Howdy from Austin, Texas

Postby lulusgirl » Sun May 28, 2006 6:18 pm

lulabelle
Modern Fan

Postby lulabelle » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:54 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:32 pm

glad you learned something. I have been banging away on this frigg'n board since 2002! riding vespas is a good thing. nondescript houses from the '50 are a good thing too. sooo much character. design purity... well, we'll just cross that bridge later :wink:

good to have minnesota in the house!

Morris Mod
Modern Groupie

Postby Morris Mod » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:12 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:23 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”