New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

AJ1952Chats
Modern Fan

ISO Dino, I Found Myself Here!

Postby AJ1952Chats » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:37 am

\:D/ Hi!

My name is Ainsley Jo Phillips, and my main nickname is AJ. My special ID signature found here and there is Cyberspace is my nickname with a smiley-face after it--kinda like this:
AJ :)

Anyway, this is the way I got here...

I was over at this other site and posted something in hopes of relocating a special friend from the 1970s. I didn't even know if he were still on this side or not, as his brother had, according to what I found on the Internet, passed on several years ago.

When I wrote about him, I received a response from a fellow member of the site saying that she had found his name mentioned here.

Needless to say, I'm very excited about that!

And it turns out that I'm also excited about this site, as I'm a nostalgia and Americana buff. I often tell people that I have a Route 66 personality and it shows.

So, here I am!

I have a feeling that I'm going to love it here a lot, and I hope that the feeling's mutual!
Last edited by AJ1952Chats on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
:):)

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:40 am

welcome!

Indiana in da house...

AJ1952Chats
Modern Fan

Postby AJ1952Chats » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:54 am

rob670
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Palm Springs

Postby rob670 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:54 pm

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Lynxwiler » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:57 pm

Welcome rob670 and AJ1952Chats!

I'd like to see some pics of that Palm Springs house. Sounds wonderful and best of luck with your restoration.

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:52 pm

I've been lurking around for a couple of weeks and thought I'd let y'all know why I'm here. Well, I love Modern decor, of course, especially googie signage and shag art. My house is already an amusement park of decor, the living room is Victorian, the kitchen is country, the den is southwestern and the master bedroom is asian. I like to say "Country Victorian", "Country Southwestern" and "Country Asian". HA!

So, where can the mod fit in?

MY OFFICE! Oh yes, it is a work in process, but it's very mod and people come in and love it! I started with a great paint base and added EBay finds to it. My curtains are a very mod barkcloth that ended up my inspiration for much of the room.

OH YES! I made "myspace" in the same theme, which is how I found this wonderful site :-)
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

AJ1952Chats
Modern Fan

Postby AJ1952Chats » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:41 am

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:33 am

AJ1952Chats
Modern Fan

Postby AJ1952Chats » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:31 am

JulieB
Modern Master

Postby JulieB » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:15 am

AJ1952Chats
Modern Fan

Postby AJ1952Chats » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:41 am

pantsenfuego77
Modern Groupie

hello

Postby pantsenfuego77 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:53 pm

Hi All, my name is Sarah. I was very excited to find this site, which has led me to attend modcom meetings. I have an interest in estate sales and mid-century porcelain collectibles.

MidCenturyMark
Modern Groupie

A Big Hello To All Mid Century And Modern Fans

Postby MidCenturyMark » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:08 am

AJ1952Chats
Modern Fan

Re: A Big Hello To All Mid Century And Modern Fans

Postby AJ1952Chats » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:50 am

dollbabytina
Modern Groupie

Postby dollbabytina » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:27 am

"take your pleasure seriously"-Charles Eames

http://www.myspace.com/dollbabytina

modmonilu
Modern Fan

Howdy!

Postby modmonilu » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:05 pm

I've already posted a few times since joining last week, so I thought I'd better introduce myself!

I live in Tulsa, OK, and have always loved mid-century modern. A few years ago, I bought my first home, and decided to fill it with MCM furnishings. Although what I really, truly wanted was a modern home, I ended up buying one built in 1936, due to time constraints. I came very close to grabbing a real bargain in Lortondale a couple of times, but they sold way too fast! I still dream of owning one of them someday, though.

I am a lamp-and-chair-oholic, because I can fit them into my car. :wink: I also love art glass and pottery, and of course, furniture! I have my eye on a lovely danish modern dining room set right now.. I hope it's still there by the time I can talk my neighbor into helping me pick it up (she has a truck.. :))!

Thanks for such a great forum.. I hope to contribute often!

Monica

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:32 pm

we're a newly engaged couple that have been lurking here for awhile. we're now in escrow for our very own cliff may rancho and thought it was finally time to speak up and get some great ideas and advice for our home!

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:14 am

Congratulations Mr and Mrs. Meow. Welcome to the Boards. There are a few of us Rancho Owners here. My Wife and I are currently in the process of remodeling our Cliff May. Should be done around September!! Which House did you buy?

meteorman
Modern Groupie

Postby meteorman » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:32 pm

Hi everyone, just recently discovered this forum. I'm a musician who has always loved the sights and sounds of post WW2 America. I'm looking forward to learning more about mid century modern architecture through this web site and it's reading suggestions. Cheers!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:21 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:25 am

KissTheSky
Modern Fan

Me and My Pad

Postby KissTheSky » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:18 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:06 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:52 pm

Aloha,

I wandered over from TikiCentral. Became very interested in this issue after the Derby, where I spent my 20s, became at risk, and, now, the issue of Trader Vic's, where I often have cocktails by candlelight is now at risk.

I am very into Modern living and architecture and am pleased to live in the Village Green, which is on the registry of historic places (villagegreenla.net).

To get my fix, I frequently breakfast at Pann's or Norms, both on LaCienega, visit the restored Starbucks on Crenshaw and have cocktails by lava light at Encounter, my favorite building in the City (next to City Hall).

I went to the July ModCom meeting - extraordinary interesting as to the role of the conservancy in attempting to redirect the march of progress to be sympathetic to LA modern history.

sparklegem
Modern Master

New members say HELLO here...

Postby sparklegem » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:59 pm

Hi,

I am so excited to find your boards and the Modern Comittee! I have recently moved to Santa Monica from Portland, Oregon. I have been a fan of Modern homes since birth. My dad was an architect and my grandmother was interior designer. Together they built a neighborhood of modern homes that I was lucky enough to grow up in. I have been collecting modern furniture and accessories for over twenty five years. I was an interior designer before having my daughter. Now I spend my time with my daughter and decorate for fun. My husband, Mark (sparklemark), and our daughter are enthusiasts as well. We are looking forward to the Modcom meeting and getting involved with this really fun group.

Very Best,
Gem
Last edited by sparklegem on Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lookritemodern
Modern Fan

Postby lookritemodern » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:31 pm

Hello All,

Just recently found this site and am thrilled! I live in Atlanta and was browsing through the real estate forum when I viewed a posting from JonnyApollo and suddenly there were images of my home! Got a real kick out of that.

Anyway, look forward to discussing and learning about modernism not only in Atlanta but across the country.

Happy I found you!

Rob Gini
Lookrite Modern Inc.

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby dilettante » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:38 pm

emagineer
Modern Groupie

Postby emagineer » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:19 am

New to site....found it while looking for info on 1950s ranches/ramblers. Located in Colorado, but was raised in Southern CA. The nostalga has me meloncholy from all the information posted.

I want to post a question, but not sure if and where it fits. My mother and I would ride the train from Fullerton to LA to shop once a month. Fondest memory is the animated Christmas displays in all of the store windows. Have been curious for years as to when they stopped doing this and where they may have gone...auctions, stored in unknown places, museum displays, private collections?

A search on the above with numerous "words" results in convoluted sites which has nothing to do with subject.

Thanks for any info and thanks for the ton of information from all on the wonderful history shared.

amyg
Modern Fan

Hi Everyone!

Postby amyg » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:06 pm

I joined awhile ago but didn't get a chance to post and then forgot all about it. I lurk around every now and again to look at pictures of modern architecture. I know that's a no-no. Sorry :oops: . It's time I made myself known.

Anyway, hello. I'm Amy Gilbert. Glad to be here. I love modern design of course. I live in Mar Vista (not the Ain Tract, sadly). I have a non-Modern Mid-Century house that has some cool modern touches (some which I am responsible for adding). One day I'd love to own a modern house. Maybe not in Southern California.

I just went to my first ModCom meeting and loved it. Great group of people who really know their stuff. I hope to learn more and become useful. To that end, I volunteered for a couple of projects already . 8)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:24 pm

Hi Emagineer,

The only place where you really see good windows at Christmas (or ever, really) are the department stores on Wilshire Blvd. in Beverly Hills (OK and Wasteland on Melrose is pretty great too) but those olde tyme ones were sometimes created by the incredibly talented Bob Baker, who still performs with his marionette theater near downtown Los Angeles. http://www.bobbakermarionettes.com/ Check him out next time you're in town.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”