New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

emagineer
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby emagineer » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:07 am

deepblue
Modern Groupie

Checking In

Postby deepblue » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:27 pm

You ask me why I stay
On this blue mountain?
I smile but do not answer.
My mind is at ease!
Peach blossoms
And flowing streams
Pass away without a trace.
How different from
The mundane world!
- Li P’o (701–762)

comodern
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby comodern » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:37 pm

scott-and-stace
Modern Groupie

aloha!

Postby scott-and-stace » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:46 pm

Hi there! I'm Stace, and my husband Scott and I just bought a 1962 house in San Antonio, Texas. We're looking forward to talking with everyone here and swapping ideas. Our house has a lot of great original features that were luckily unmolested, and we're going to restore and get the changed areas whipped back into shape.

You can see some photos of the house as it is now here:

We love 1950s kitsch and polynesian decor, and our house will be happily filled with our collections of modern furnishings and bric-a-brac as well as our Heywood pieces and vintage Tiki junk.

We're excited about being here...so many great resources!

tim240
Modern Groupie

Hi everyone

Postby tim240 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:25 pm

I'm new to the site and accidently posted my hello in the wrong area. wooops. Hello again. I'm looking forward to networking with other people into mcm homes.
Tim

Rathbone
Modern Groupie

Newbie.

Postby Rathbone » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:34 am

I found this site when searching for information on mid century modern architecture. I've always liked the Art Deco look but didn't really have an idea that there was a name for the "Bowlin Alley" style that I remembered seeing so much of growing up. I didn't call it "Bowling Alley" as a put-down, it's just that in my area a lot of bowling alleys were built in this style and didn't get remodeled for a very long time. The recent animated movie "The Incredibles" reminded me of how much I liked this style. If you haven't seen the movie you should, it's really beautiful.

I recently left my safe corporate job and moved to East central Florida where I hope to find work as a Real Estate Appraiser, or to purchase a small business. Wish me luck! :cheers:

aliciatapp
Modern Fan

Retro Images on Tiles

Postby aliciatapp » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:38 am

will
Modern Groupie

hello from Madison, Wisconsin

Postby will » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:19 am

Hi,

I've been living in a Herb Delevie designed house (I think it was one of his first) from 1966 in Madison, WI for Max Hurwitz for the last 4 years. I noticed there are a couple of his houses in the gallery and I'll be happy to submit pictures of mine if I can figure out how to post there. We have been doing a lot of outdoor work the last four years (including building a fence) and will be painting/staining the cedar siding sometime soon as it is starting to need it. I'm sure I'll be posting some questions after doing the requisite searches. The house is a multi-level flat-roof angular contraption with 14' high maple doors and a very large rock fireplace with several external rock walls. Hurwitz wanted a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired design and Delevie complied, though I've seen one of his other houses and he definitely had his own distinctive style. Supposedly it was the first house in Madison with an indoor pool and cable (even though there was no cable company in Madison in 1966). Also has a sauna, steam room, and a beautiful Japanese glass chandelier designed and built by DeLevie. Sadly, there was a painting that went with the chandelier painted by DeLevie but it was sold off when Max died in the 70s in the estate sale. I'd love to be able to find it!

Thanks,

Will

Pips Trip
Modern Fan

greetings from London, England

Postby Pips Trip » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:21 am

Hi everyone, my name's Pip (I'm a laydeeeee btw) and I run a website eshop selling retro/vintage ceramics and glass (it's all in my siggy below). Looking forward to discussing all things groovy with like-minded retroheads :-)
www.Pips-Trip.co.uk
Retro/Vintage Ceramics & Glass from the 1950's, 1960's & 1970's
- Iconic, Original & Guaranteed to be Groovy!

ojaitimo
Modern Groupie

Hello from the Ojai Valley

Postby ojaitimo » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:37 am

Life is a state of mind

kvhaskins
Modern Groupie

New member...hello!

Postby kvhaskins » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:10 pm

Hi! My name is Kiley and I'm new to the board. I joined because my husband and I are in search of a mid-century modern home in south-central Indiana and are having a heck of a time trying to find one! We are avid collectors of 50s style modern furniture and items from the period...now we just need a house to display all our stuff!! So, if anyone has any knowledge of some great areas to look in and around Bloomington...please let me know!

Thanks...I look forward to chatting with you all!
Kiley ***

Jet-Propelled Wendy
Modern Groupie

New to Swanky Las Vegas...and this board!

Postby Jet-Propelled Wendy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:22 am

Hello and how are you, I'm Wendy. Came across this site through Port Halcyon when someone posted about the Mondo Lounge Atomic Frolic.
My husband and I just recently moved to Las Vegas. Prior to that, I lived in Kansas City, MO, San Antonio, TX, and Miami, FL.
Vintage neon makes me swoon.
I love sewing from vintage patterns and am obsessed with music.
Hope to make some new pals!

*** Wendy ***
I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

jazz-n-cocktails
Modern Socialite

Love Cliff May and LottaLivin'!

Postby jazz-n-cocktails » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:17 pm

New to the site...my wife and I moved into our Cliff May rancho dream home in July, and we're having fun settling in (is it October already?). Thank god for ebay, the monthly Long Beach Antique fair, and lottaliving.com--look forward to taking part in the discussions and learning new things about the era we're all so fond of...

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:30 am

Welcome to the Site and Neighborhood Jazz-n-Cocktails.

The Long Beach Anitque Swap Meet Is a Great plae. We go about 3 -4 times a year. Recently jsut picked up a great Danish Modern Dining Room Set.

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:31 pm

Last edited by Udo Min on Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:26 pm

DRIVETT
Modern Groupie

Postby DRIVETT » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:55 pm

Hi there!

I'm a late 30's publisher of a magazine the espouses clean living and jet setting attitudes. I don't know what the forum's policy is for "spam" so if anyone wants to know which magazine and its allowed for me to say I will later.

I came here because I am a minor collector of mid-century modern originals and replicas, I was first influenced in my teen years in mid 80's as a member of the Mod rebirth movement in NYC (Mod as in scooters, parkas, northern soul and the Who). Now that I am relocating to Las Vegas I will be forced to rent until I get a home that I can call my own (probably 2 years down the road, the places I am looking at are not developed yet). I'm hoping this forum can point me to some great rental properties in Vegas that have that architectural atomic age vibe that we all love so much.

TT

jazz-n-cocktails
Modern Socialite

Postby jazz-n-cocktails » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:16 am

jazz-n-cocktails
Modern Socialite

Re: New Member

Postby jazz-n-cocktails » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:22 am

FinFan
Modern Socialite

Hello

Postby FinFan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:04 am

Wel...hmm..hello :oops:

With my location I probably don't have the right to be here...but anyway I'll try.
As you can see I live in Poland, Europe. And what's more, I'm 22 (23 in 6 days) so I have no conection with 1950's , and with American 1950's too. I also don't know much about it. But from what I know, I admire the decade and the way of living created then.

We were a communistic country during the decade and long after. So our reception of modern patterns was limited and frequently distorted by law or lack of necessary technologies. We, as all Europe, received those patterns nearly a full decade later, clear example is here a wide circle skirt, that was fashionable at the begining of 1960's in Poland, and before 1956 it was even forbidden, as a product of rotten capitalism of the West.

Do we have a googie architecture then ?Don't know. Some styling themes are obvious, often in form of upswept overhangs above entrances to main public buildings.
The most "cosmic" building is Rotunda (Round Building) in our capitol, Warsaw.
Image That big building behind it doesn't belong to Rotunda, it only looks like that on the photo.

There were also good copies of Scandinavian Modernism furniture, even the "shell" armchairs have been present. THe main problem was availability of ANY furniture at shops, so no one really cared what they bought if it finally have been delivered.

Hmm...guess all this makes you all laugh. I know those are rather pathetic forms trying to follow the path. I don't know if it would be called Googie at all if those were standing in America. But here those are the best traces of this styling I can find (there are some other, that I can't find pics in the Web). I hope these are convincing enough to allow me to be a part of this forum. I won't be posting anything intelligent probably, as I don't have knowledge about Googie architects or examples in USA, but anyway it would be interesting to be here.

Eventually I may argue with someone about cars :D I'm a self-learner for about 8 years in this subject and that's a thing where I'm sure what I'm saying.[/img]

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Welcome...

Postby modfan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:23 am

We've got a few posters from places other than the US. I think we've got a few from the UK, Canada, Germany and France.

Yup I see a hint of the googie in your images. But from what I've heard, some of the soviet dominated era buildings some folks want to save those before they're all destroyed and replaced with 'look alike anywhere skyscrapers' that would be the same no matter where one would be on the planet. I'm sure Poland must have some undiscovered and unappreciated gems that need to be discovered, seems everyplace has them, we're still discovering them in this country.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:29 am

Fin Fan

We welcome everyone here and offer a friendly environment for people from all locales. Thanks for posting your pictures. I love the second building. What is its use?

I bet there is more modernism in Poland than you would first think. The former communist countries that I have been to all had there own brand of modernism. While what I saw there was not Googie, it certainly would be classified as Modern. People here are interested in all forms of Modernism including European Modernism. There are also a few other Europeans on this board .

So Welcome!
"Better Living Through Modernism"

FinFan
Modern Socialite

Postby FinFan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:49 am

classicsat
Modern Socialite

Postby classicsat » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:24 pm

My Hello:

I am Gary, in very rural Ontario Canada,

I am male, mid 30s, and single.

There is not much Midcentury Modern around here, but might be some homes and businesses that approach the MCM flair in town, but out in the country, post WWII homes are basic ranch style homes that have little MCM flair, "subdivision specials" built in the late 60s and into the 70s, Georgian/Victorian revivals, and the odd "McMansion", amongst the honest to goodness pre WWII farmhouse (mostly pre WWI, there are few if any distinct tween-war styles). I live in one of the pre WWI farmhouse that has no real "style" to it.

Most of the development that happened around here occured mostly in the original 19th century settlement of the area, or in the 1970/80s boom becasue of the nuclear power plant and related industries.

My MCM roots are from Toronto, where my Grandmother had an MCM house built in 1951 Don Mills, and was pretty well in the state it was since it was built, when we sold it a few years back. On one of those old 1950s aerial photographs shows her neighbourhood, and you can see her street and house.

I have some furniture from her disbursement (most went to family), as well as pieces obtained from estate and garage sales.

I am primarily intersted in the modern architecture and industrial design of the mid-century. I am also partial to some of the futuristic 1970s style elements, and like the sci-fie asethitcs of the tie (like in Logan's Run, 2001, and THX1138).

I am also very fond of various print material of the era, particularily relating to home design and decorating, as well as the color processes used, namely Kodachrome and Technicolor. One of my favorite websites of the genre is plan59.com

I am also an electronics hobbyist, satellite, TiVo, computer, Hi-Fi (had a few console stereos in my day, even adapted the innards of one to a fairly decent component system, at least for a not very wealthy teenager).

My musical interests though are primarily of classic and alternative rock of the late 1970s and into the 1980s.

I am also good with Geography and Google Earth and other GIS things, so from there am rather city wise, as in knowing how to navigate around a city from the sky, and find things, so please exuse me talking about buildings as if I am there, becasue, with GE, I practically am.

johnnyha
Modern Groupie

Howdy

Postby johnnyha » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:15 pm

Hey! What a great forum. My name is johnnyha and my spouse and I just purchased a 1954 Fickett home in Sherman Oaks. Thanks to everyone on this board for the great resource it has provided us moving into our new space. I hope to post some pictures later on another forum and get even more advice. Just saying hey here for now.

johnnyha

the Oracle
Modern Groupie

Postby the Oracle » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:58 am

Hello,

I lived the Fifties, but I was young enough that living was easy. I was raised in the Raj, so my tastes are very eclectic.

This looks like a really interesting board. I am also a Tiki girl. 8)
~~an unexpected bowl of bananas~~

Sputnikmoss
Modern Master

New to board

Postby Sputnikmoss » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:50 am

Hi all-

I am new and just wanted to introduce myself. My husband and I are avid collectors and we sell housewares and furniture in Portland, OR. We bought our first home 3 years ago and literally stumbled onto a pristine 1960 MCM Ranch that was FSBO and had been sitting for months. We got it for below asking price and it was move in ready. We re-roofed it....(flat roof in Portland...I wasn't taking any chances!), painted, and got rid of the gold hi/low shag carpet and horrible ceiling fan. Nothing else is really needed!

The kitchen has a 1960 built-in Flair oven with rotisserie and all the attachments, amoeba shaped counters with pink starburst formica, and pastel confetti vinyl flooring.

The bathroom has pink fixtures and was "updated" with some white formica but will be easy to get back to original when we go back to one by one pink and grey mosaic tile.

Best thing for my husband is that it has a 2 car garage with a drive thru into the back yard and sits on a double lot. We are Citroen dorks (we have
3 DS'), so there is plenty of room for the cars.

I am obsessed with MCM and love to thrift, hence the reason we have to sell our extra stuff! We wrote an article for Atomic Ranch last year..Winter 1995 issue that gives more info about our collections. It's the one on collecting dishware.

Geez! sorry for the rambling!
Sputnik Housewares...Jetset furnishings from the Atomic Age!

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: New to board

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:22 pm

"Better Living Through Modernism"

Amandahugandkiss
Modern Groupie

Postby Amandahugandkiss » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:19 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:52 pm

[quote="Amandahugandkiss"]Hello Everyone! I have been a stalker on this message board for some time and now I am ready to participate./quote]

i prefer the term "lurker"

welcome!!!!!
:P

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”